• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anyone ever use tom fords mtm program?

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuumanbearpig
I am aware that "non plus ultra" is appropriate but am curious as to why exactly you didn't use it the way it has entered the vernacular (nec plus ultra).

A 1902 Sears catalog holds you in it's thrall as surely as the evil of advertising has ever held anyone here or elsewhere.

Fixed. And you are now Fuumanbearpig.

Originally Posted by LabelKing
I saw a RTW ruffled formal shirt I liked from Ford, and then I discovered the price was $2000.
RJ used to do those every few seasons.

Originally Posted by needshoehelp
I give him credit for bucking the thin lapel trend. It seems like every other fashion suit out there has the narrow lapel, short jacket, super narrow slacks, and in a few years these will all be dated. Not to say TF won't be one day also, but it's something different if nothing else.
Bucking? The pendulum was swinging back. Narrow lapels had their five or seven year moment.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The most "Fordesque" suit to get is from Bill Fioravanti in NY. That is and has been his signature look since the 60's. His suit will make Ford's look like Brooks Brothers. Bill is also the best fitter I know.
If you do go with Ford, it is still MTM and you are prone to the largest margin of error of getting it right. You also need the body proportion to pull that styling off and bring out the full expression of the cut.

I first got into tailoring in 1972 and the look for men was high concave shoulders, high armholes, jackets fitted very close to the body. I liked this look and have made plenty of built up concave shoulders. Then SF told me it was a dated uncool look.
That shoulder is very difficult to make. Much harder than an unpadded shoulder. Few can do it well or do it at all. When done in a factory it is more a product of the pressing equipment used. Lou Myles was excellent at executing this shoulder/ look but unfortunately, not in business any more.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
The most "Fordesque" suit to get is from Bill Fioravanti in NY. That is and has been his signature look since the 60's. His suit will make Ford's look like Brooks Brothers. Bill is also the best fitter I know.
If you do go with Ford, it is still MTM and you are prone to the largest margin of error of getting it right. You also need the body proportion to pull that styling off and bring out the full expression of the cut.

I first got into tailoring in 1972 and the look for men was high concave shoulders, high armholes, jackets fitted very close to the body. I liked this look and have made plenty of built up concave shoulders. Then SF told me it was a dated uncool look.
That shoulder is very difficult to make. Much harder than an unpadded shoulder. Few can do it well or do it at all. When done in a factory it is more a product of the pressing equipment used. Lou Myles was excellent at executing this shoulder/ look but unfortunately, not in business any more.

Great post; non judgemental about the stylistic choices of the OP, recognizes technical difficulties and characteristics inherent in TF suits, suggests similar alternatives likely to satisfy the OP if he wants to explore other options. I say we ban Despos, he clearly doesn't get how SF works.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
^^^ Great tie, though.

I think someone has said that your ability to choose only swell ties is astonishing.

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Perhaps there are a few who find Ford the perfect articulation of their hitherto unknown preferences, but I would think that most people who want Tom Ford really want Tom Ford. In that case, I maintain, they should buy Tom Ford.

Too direct and practical. Let's get Baroni to do it instead.

Originally Posted by edmorel
I had some spalla insellata and a tortelli di patata for dinner last night. Washed it all down with some ribolla gialla.

Around 4PM today, it will all be merda nella toletta.

Originally Posted by edmorel
I guess the suit wasn't loud enough, he needed to do the watch cuff thing also.

I give him -2 for the watch not being a minute repeater.

Originally Posted by Manton
Re, the whole watch over shirt cuff thing, it's pretty silly in the first place, but it becomes meta-silly when you "formalize" it by putting watchband straps on your shirt cuff.

Not straps, braces. I give him a further minus 3 for lacking catgut ends.

Originally Posted by iammatt
The funny thing is that as bad as it looks in that picture, it looks even worse when viewed normally.

I feel a new WAYWRN motto coming along...hold on a second...

Originally Posted by dopey
But based on the Tom Ford pictures that have been posted and technical issues aside, I can't see much difference between a TF suit and what is produced by some of the military influenced SR tailors.

Oh, alright.

lmenswear_0423.jpg

andrew_media.png

- B

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Great post; non judgemental about the stylistic choices of the OP, recognizes technical difficulties and characteristics inherent in TF suits, suggests similar alternatives likely to satisfy the OP if he wants to explore other options. I say we ban Despos, he clearly doesn't get how SF works.

Don't make me start my own forum, because I will. Then you'll see the light.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Don't make me start my own forum, because I will. Then you'll see the light.

Ask Despos About Clothes? De Pied en Despos?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
Ask Despos About Clothes? De Pied en Despos?

The Fedora-ed Despos Lounge?

A Suitable Despos?

- B

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
TheDesposSpot
DesposZeitgeist
LookDespos.nu
DesposFuture
The Despostalist
Despos DorÃ
00a9.png
e
Comme un Despos
DesposSeduction

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
The Fedora-ed Despos Lounge?

A Suitable Despos?

- B

Despos Film Buff? The Walloonist? Manolo for the Despos? M. Fan and Despos?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Because Despos Sez.com

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

Despos's Bastards?

- B

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Flemish, not a Walloon

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads