• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone ever use the "Shine Butler" contraption?

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shoeshinekit_2122_124068
http://shoeshinekit.com/shinebutler.html I've been looking for something heavy duty to securely hold shoes while shining. For the last buffing step, I need both hands and the shoe/boot secure. My wife's getting sick of helping me and I thought about a DIY contraption using vintage cobbler tools, like a cast iron shoe anvil that I found at a flea market. I finally stumbled across the shine butler and it seems like just the thing. It'll allow me to perform the final buffing step holding the shine cloth on each side of the shoe and pulling downward on the cloth which is easy when getting a shine w/the shoe on foot. Off foot is virtually impossible without securing the shoe. For example, this is the step to which I'm referring:
shoeshinekit_2120_1646866
My concern is that the shine butler wouldn't work with boots. My regimen's been working well. For reference, my RMW's after almost 2 years still look great. Black Craftsman just had vibram 1/2 sole attached. Photographed next to chestnut craftsman with orig leather sole. On an unrelated note, the cobbler did a great job:
DSC_6931.jpg
DSC_6940.jpg
DSC_6917.jpg
I just got the chestnut back from having the vibram sole attached as well.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, but honestly I don't know how you can get as good of a shine as just holding the shoe and turning it and handling it in different ways.

Those vibram soles are really ugly and ruin the leather sole, in my opinion.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That contraption doesn't appear it would work well with boots. Looks kind of handy, though.

Sartorial1

Reaction score
I have managed well without one.
But if you need the help, why not?

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My dad bought one of those and brought it home when I was about 13. For the next several years, one of my jobs was to polish his shoes every week. I had a couple of pairs of dress shoes at the time, so I would keep mine polished as well.

Although it doesn't work for boots it was really quite handy for polishing shoes, especially if you wanted to go two-handed with the polishing cloth (back and forth). I sort of wish I had one now, although I get good results just holding my shoes with my hands.

ajv

Reaction score
I can see why one would like to use such a tool, but I have no use for it. I prefer to do it the old fashioned way with the shoe on a table, shoe trees in and moving the shoe around with the left hand while polisihing with the right one.

Adrian

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are overthinking it. Just put the shoe on a your hand and then on a box to buff. No way would I want that thing hanging on my wall.

R-H

Reaction score
DSC_6940.jpg

Before pictures? These don't looks shined.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you haven't the strength in your hands I can see the appeal for this device.
It appears to be rather flimsy though and would have to be screwed into a wood stud in the wall.
Screw that thing into drywall or a plaster wall and it will probably rip right out of the wall when you work on the shoe,
even with plugs. I would also wager that shoe polish will mysteriously get on the wall with this thing.
Better to buy of those portable drill-like polishing contraptions before this wall unit.
Why not just drape an olf T-shirt on your lap and hold the shoe between your knees as you polish.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Those vibram soles are really ugly and ruin the leather sole, in my opinion.

I hear you, but this gives me the option to wear them in the winter. Fortunately it's virtually impossible to tell there's a rubber sole on there, when viewed from the side.

Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
You are overthinking it. Just put the shoe on a your hand and then on a box to buff. No way would I want that thing hanging on my wall.

Good point, I have made it through 40 yrs without it after all. As for hanging it on the wall, that's where I disagree. It would be a shame to hide such a tool in the basement or garage workshop. This thing belongs in one's living room next to a flat screen TV...or along side some nice built-in bookcases
smile.gif

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrick_b
For the last buffing step, I need both hands and the shoe/boot secure. My wife's getting sick of helping me
Do you make her wear them while you buff them?

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you look at the wall mount you can see that the part that sticks out slides into a baseplate. Once you take it off the plate is the only thing attached to the wall. The one we had was quite solid. I agree that you would have to screw it into a stud. We attached ours to a stud in the garage.

TintoTerra

Reaction score
"Shine butler" sounds like some sort of slang term.

espo211

Reaction score
I have held in my hand a cast iron shoe butler which sells for $97 at shoe repair shops. It looks sturdy enough for the side-to-side force that is applied while buffing. I have SEEN on-line a TALLER version which seems to be long enough for 10 inch boots( long enough down to before the bend where the front shoe-form attaches to), but I have not been able to locate it again.Good luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads