• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone ever use Kava ?

taktikz

Reaction score
I just tried 1 tea bag of Yogi Kava Tea, and it made me feel a bit relaxed. Did you try the tea, the pills, or both? What was your experience with it? Here's the brand I tried:

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had it in fiji. Everyone there drinks it freshly ground up. It looks like mud water. I would rather drink mud water. Ugh.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
be careful - it phucks with your libido in a negative way.

lizmasc

Reaction score
Never tried it.

But now I'm a bit curious though it has some diverging opinions in the thread. With the latest new brands and tea names that come out regularly you can never be too sure about its effectiveness. Speaking of which, what does the do or what are its benefits?
tounge.gif
smiley2.gif

tundrafour

Reaction score
I have tried the tea you mentioned and enjoy drinking it on occasion; perhaps two or three times a month. I notice a distinct calming effect shortly after drinking it, somewhat similar to the feeling one gets after having sat in a hot tub or sauna.

I haven't noticed any effect on my libido. Apparently regular kava consumption might be detrimental to one's liver, though; I avoid using it and alcohol on the same day.

Spintherism

Reaction score
I'm a little suspicious about the potential potency of kava tea. I have nothing against herbal stuff, it's just that generally when it's branded/marketed as tea, supplements etc they put tiny amounts of active ingredient. It generally takes ~1/4 cup of the actual plant material for kava to have any effect, and I doubt there's that much in the tea-bag, though I suppose they could use some sort of an extract. Does it make your lips numb? If so, it's probably working, if not, the relaxing sensation you feel is probably more from drinking a nice cup of tea than from the ingredients therein.

tundrafour

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spintherism
I'm a little suspicious about the potential potency of kava tea. I have nothing against herbal stuff, it's just that generally when it's branded/marketed as tea, supplements etc they put tiny amounts of active ingredient. It generally takes ~1/4 cup of the actual plant material for kava to have any effect, and I doubt there's that much in the tea-bag, though I suppose they could use some sort of an extract. Does it make your lips numb? If so, it's probably working, if not, the relaxing sensation you feel is probably more from drinking a nice cup of tea than from the ingredients therein.
I was initially skeptical as well. I first purchased the tea after a friend in Fiji recommended I try kava; I doubt it is as potent as what she's drinking there. However, as I said, it's a distinct sensation. I drink a wide variety of teas and have never experienced the same effect through simply having "a nice cup of tea." I do typically use more than one tea bag when preparing the kava tea, which I suppose might increase the potency somewhat.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tundrafour
I was initially skeptical as well. I first purchased the tea after a friend in Fiji recommended I try kava; I doubt it is as potent as what she's drinking there. However, as I said, it's a distinct sensation. I drink a wide variety of teas and have never experienced the same effect through simply having "a nice cup of tea." I do typically use more than one tea bag when preparing the kava tea, which I suppose might increase the potency somewhat.
I've had the real stuff in fiji. If you have a whole lot of bowls of the crap, it feels like you took an aspirin. Nothing more. And you have to drink a LOT of it. We are talking giant bowls here with the gross root constantly crushed in. So I am willing to bet you are experiencing a placebo effect.

tundrafour

Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
I've had the real stuff in fiji. If you have a whole lot of bowls of the crap, it feels like you took an aspirin. Nothing more. And you have to drink a LOT of it. We are talking giant bowls here with the gross root constantly crushed in. So I am willing to bet you are experiencing a placebo effect.

I suppose it's possible, although I really don't think that's the case.

How do you account for its widespread use among Fijians and other Pacific Islanders if its effects are essentially non-existent?

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tundrafour
I suppose it's possible, although I really don't think that's the case. How do you account for its widespread use among Fijians and other Pacific Islanders if its effects are essentially non-existent?
It's dirt cheap (fijians are far from rich), heavily tied into culture, and you can party with kava and then drive home and not get a ticket because there is no breathalyzer test for it (the last one is actually more of a problem there with those crazy drivers than a benefit). Honestly, it sucks. You have no idea. They make it in a giant bowl and keep grinding it in and it looks like mud. It tastes so, so bad. And you think "hey i'll drink one bowl and it's done". No. They make another bowl. And another. And another. And you feel like you're invested. "Hey I drank so much crap already. I may as well keep going." So you keep going. Then your tongue feels slightly numb and it feels like you had an aspirin at the end. GREAT. And I wasn't the only one that experienced this either.

Spintherism

Reaction score
Well you know alcohol is mostly placebo too. There were some great experiments where they made alcoholic-tasting non-alcoholic drinks and alcoholic non-alcoholic-tasting drinks. The people who were drunk but thought they were sober just got bored and depressed while the sober people got pretty wasted. Not that alcohol doesn't have a physiological effect, but psychologically speaking, it's all about expectations. The same goes for kava. Just because the effects are in part due to placebo doesn't mean they're not "real."

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well you know alcohol is mostly placebo too. There were some great experiments where they made alcoholic-tasting non-alcoholic drinks and alcoholic non-alcoholic-tasting drinks. The people who were drunk but thought they were sober just got bored and depressed while the sober people got pretty wasted. Not that alcohol doesn't have a physiological effect, but psychologically speaking, it's all about expectations. The same goes for kava. Just because the effects are in part due to placebo doesn't mean they're not "real."
Umm no.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is some placebo effect with alcohol, but it's not "mostly placebo". I could tell you you're drinking Odul's and you could completely believe me but if it's really Sam Adams light and you have 6 of them your motor skills and judgment are going to be just as impaired.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads