• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone ever try making their own clothes?

8bpc

Reaction score
I like to know of a good source of information for learning how to alter existing pieces (shirts, pants).

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd try to breath some fresh air in this thread. Due to the economy and an influx of newer members, I thought there may be a newer interest in DIY clothing.

Here's a cheap Wal-Mart OCBD shirt and a thrifted cream blazer that I slimmed up. The blazer has yet to have the sleeves slimmed, I might do that tonight, but it the body fit like a huge sack before. The back fabric hung straight down, no drape at all. Wish I had taken 'before' pics. Here's how I wore them today:

02-5.jpg

01-5.jpg

06.jpg

05-1.jpg

04-1.jpg

03-3.jpg

The center seam on the rear of the jacket is not a bad seam, it's just a bit crinkled from sitting down all day. The shoulders fit fine before, but I took out around 4" or so of the diameter around the waist. So still gotta slim the sleeves, shorten about a half inch or so, and possibly create functional buttonholes....though that's not really important to me.

Originally Posted by 8bpc
I like to know of a good source of information for learning how to alter existing pieces (shirts, pants).

Check out threadbanger.com

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I alter shirts and ties, that's about it. I once made my own pajama pants, they were very sleepable.

I'm a big fan of buying stuff at Target and altering them to fit properly.

I got my sewing machine, a nice older one, off craigslist for $40. To make jeans and stuff, you really need some power and that dual headed attachment, which I don't have. Otherwise your stuff will look like either you made it or bought it at AA.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Agree about the jeans and sewing machine thing, though slimming denim isn't too hard on a normal machine if you're slimming the outseam with a 'standard' selvage-type seam.

Denim can be hard on a machine. I think it takes different needles, too.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad things are working out for you, Ludey. I found a Singer 99-13 for sale, with the box too. I'm going to Chile in a week though so I'm worried that I may need it serviced and that wouldn't be done in time.

Replay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
I took out around 4" or so of the diameter around the waist. So still gotta slim the sleeves, shorten about a half inch or so, and possibly create functional buttonholes....though that's not really important to me. Check out threadbanger.com
Did you tear out the lining of your suit jacket before you redid that seam (so that you had to put it back together after) or just sew right through the lining and outer together? Ah, threadbanger. So promising when it began, lately I only ever find value in the forums. The episodes and main website have stopped catering to men almost entirely.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks cldpsu, so you want it serviced before you get it or before you get back from Chile? And have fun there, I've always wanted to tour that part of the continent!

Originally Posted by Replay
Did you tear out the lining of your suit jacket before you redid that seam (so that you had to put it back together after) or just sew right through the lining and outer together?

Ah, threadbanger. So promising when it began, lately I only ever find value in the forums. The episodes and main website have stopped catering to men almost entirely.

I ripped the seam along the bottom of the center rear flap. From what I've seen so far, most blazers have a loosely stitched bottom seam attaching the lining to the jacket body. This is easy to rip and easy to resew. I just busted it, pulled the center back seam inside out, sewed a new line and tweaked until it fit right, and resewed the bottom seam.

If you're considering giving a jacket a try, I HIGHLY suggest you go to the nearest thrift store and spend no more than five bucks for a jacket. Then spend a dollar for a seam ripper from Wal Mart. Bust the suggested seams and look at how the jacket is made. Even try making alterations and see how easy and hard different things are, and how a little here or there can make a huge different in the overall silhouette

And yeah....threadbanger could definitely be much better for men. But I only mention it because it's the only sewing/tailoring site I've seen that has a significant amount of younger posters. I signed up for it today, I might post up there sometime and see what happens.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Yeah, it's my original home. I have two options. Expect to find something there or find something here and take it with me. I want to start using it within the next couple of weeks when I am there. I plan on taking some classes too maybe, aside from self teaching myself. I would hope that it wouldn't need servicing.

I'm torn because I want to buy something at a store for 100 bucks but having an old Singer sounds like a lot of fun too.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I have wanted to re-take a basic clothing construction class, I sucked total ass in high school home-economics/clothing class. In my defense the only resource I had for material/patterns was wal-mart and hobby lobby and was also super broke. I think I ended up with some really really baggy ben davis-esque shorts and several short sleeve plaid shirts. Most of them had lots of 'character like one sleeve much shorter than the other or crooked plackets. Also, I couldn't find a pattern for shorts w/ a zipper so my shorts were brown twill draw string shorts that the teacher thought were capri pants.

blehhhh

I got a B- in the class, and got to flirt with girls and make cookies. Worlds better than auto shop.

Originally Posted by cldpsu
Good source for buying a sewing machine, anyone?

you can find gently used sewing machines for cheap. just cruise the garage/estate sale circuit one weekend you'll probably find several to choose from.

robbie

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, vintage Singers are serviceable and reliable. My mom has an old table-mounted foot-powered one that needs to be retimed. I'd love to give it a shot on some projects.

If I could get the old Singer serviced in time, I'd definitely take that. I don't know much about Chile's economic and commercial situation and product selection right now, but I probably wouldn't count on it being any better than America's.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Replay
Thanks Ludey, great advice there! I have a couple old jackets from my grandfather, rest in peace.
I've kept them just for their sentimental value to me, but he was quite the dandy in his time and I would relish the chance to refit them and wear them myself.

If anyone whose into this likes to do it from patterns,

Here are some great men's basics' patterns. Cardigan, Vest, and Tshirt for free

Good suggestion for the Burdastyle templates. That reminded me of a post I read earlier, a guy used the Burdastyle 'Antony' waistcoat template and posted his results:

http://forum.threadbanger.com/showthread.php?t=13609

Apparently it's a really good pattern. I intend on using it to make a vest, as soon as I can lay my hands on some decent really thick cotton or decent wool fabric.

I got a lot of clothing from my deceased grandfather, as well. He was more of a blue-collar, third-shift, greaser-badass-small-town-working man, though. Not sure I'll ever fill his well worn denim jacket.....

Replay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
Good suggestion for the Burdastyle templates. That reminded me of a post I read earlier, a guy used the Burdastyle 'Antony' waistcoat template and posted his results:

http://forum.threadbanger.com/showthread.php?t=13609

Apparently it's a really good pattern. I intend on using it to make a vest, as soon as I can lay my hands on some decent really thick cotton or decent wool fabric.

That guy's stuff is great! I've seen his posts on burdastyle. He's a huge inspiration to me for DIY.

Here is what you can accomplish in self-made with a little practice and patience:
Fantastic fit in my opinion,
great detail in the cuff for a casual shirt.

It's also been shown that a self-made shirt will pull blonde girls' boobs towards itself like a magnet!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads