• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone ever try making their own clothes?

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really want a pair of knickerbockers, so I think i'm going to end up making them myself. I have a pair of pajama pants that look great pinrolled and worn like that (not outside of the house
laugh.gif
), so I think that is the pattern i'm going to go off of. I hate sewing machines, I was planning on attempting fully hand sewn, which doesn't seem too daunting a task. I was actually going to go to the store tonight to pick up some felt but I hit a stop sign earlier and need a new rim, tire and front panel.

Berticus

Reaction score
I was talking about clothes with a friend of mine who went to a high school that was more for designing and making clothes (she didn't like it at all and went to engineering when she came to college). She highly suggested I make my own clothes instead of getting everything tailored. So I decided when I have the money, I'll buy a Singer (a brand she highly recommended) and make my own shirts. Beyond shirts---e.g. suits and slacks---is still kinda up in the air. I guess it depends on how well my shirts turn out.

I definitely won't be doing thicker items such as winter coats and jackets. I also plan to leave footwear (slippers and moccasins) and accessories (mittens, gloves, scarves) to others. I helped another female friend crochet a winter hat. She acknowledge that for a beginner I wasn't bad, but redid what I had done. It took too long to do.

adelphi

Reaction score
I found a very interesting blog of someone who makes MTM workwear.

unicornwarrior

Reaction score
I made a suit once, it wasn't too bad. I used some rather cheap fabric though and I made the thighs on the pants too wide so I dont wear it.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
I got a sewing machine for Christmas (a Singer Simple). So far I haven't done too much with it, but I hope to progress down the line to being able to make some simple things for myself. Right now I'll be happy when I can get to the point of doing my own basic shirt alterations.

boozingalcoholic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unicornwarrior
I made a suit once, it wasn't too bad. I used some rather cheap fabric though and I made the thighs on the pants too wide so I dont wear it.

did u use a pattern to cut out the suit?

Curious_George

Reaction score
Originally Posted by adelphi
I found a very interesting blog of someone who makes MTM workwear.
Originally Posted by boozingalcoholic
Wanna share?
smile.gif

Yes, please do. I've been thinking about giving it a shot and some workwear pieces are about as simple as they come. Plus, I figure if I screw up somewhere it's workwear and it doesn't have to have a perfect finish like say a suit.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
With higher costs you generally are getting more power (needed for thick material like denim) and random embroidery and stitching options which are for the most part useless.

adelphi

Reaction score
Re-edit: it's bahalthaclothing.blogspot.com. I don't want karma biting ******. It looks like he just posted his first shirt.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
So far everyone's talking about sewing machines. No mention of a needle and thread.
I've never made anything from scratch, but I rebuild all my suits: rip off the arms, toss out the pads, hack back the shoulders, reattach the sleeves, take in the sides, swoop in the waist, tighten the darts, lengthen the sleeves, stick button holes on the cuffs, crop the bottom, narrow the lapels...all of which I can't see being done with a machine. But then again I don't have one and have no idea how to use one.​

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Starting to make shirts, mostly due to the fact that I don't have the money to spend on BoO or similiar brands. Hopefully I'll have some decent ones made here shortly.

Seanallen

Reaction score
I had bought a 100 dollar cheap & basic sewing machine from walmart just for buying crappy shirts and then tailoring them to fit me, I've had it for a month and havent touched it yet, it keeps jamming up on me. I've always like the idea of D.I.Y clothes, I have a few people around my school that do it but they look like total ****.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biscotti
Starting to make shirts, mostly due to the fact that I don't have the money to spend on BoO or similiar brands. Hopefully I'll have some decent ones made here shortly.

Yeah, my main attraction to making my own clothes is particularly shirts. I always have a sleeve length issue. Some Band shirts are pretty spot on but others too short. It's frustrating and I want to just make them myself. FTW

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads