• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone ever try Land's End blazers/suiting?

garymyman

Reaction score
I'm looking for an inexpensive navy blazer with a trim fit, and this Land's End Canvass one seems to fit the bill, with generally good reviews: http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/NavyBl...s&origin=index

Anyone tried this one or have experience with other Land's End suits?

I hear Sears sells Land's End; do they carry the Canvass stuff?

garymyman

Reaction score
So... No? Guess I'll give it a shot. They have a good return policy.

rudedog

Reaction score
Keep in mind that almost all of their blazers have functional sleeve buttons, so they won't be cheap to tailor unless your arms are the right length to start.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
LE is a value for money brand, so bear that in mind when setting your expectations. The tailored clothing I've seen from them has been boxy, cut full and the cloth fairly coarse. Haven't tried the Canvas line but expect it isn't "slim" in the SF sense -- trimmer than their other stuff, maybe, but the regular stuff is often cut like what you'd find at Orvis.

That said, maybe you'll get lucky. LE is erratic and stuff tends to vary from season to season. I picked up one of their cotton sportcoats after discovering that it was cut surprisingly well and moderately trim. Much more flattering than a similar coat the nearby J. Crew was selling for almost twice the price.

My Sears doesn't carry the Canvas line, from what I've seen.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About 10 years before I found SF, I used to buy LE clothing almost exclusively because their tall sizes fit me. I still own several of their sports coats, which I occasionally wear. The fabric and construction is nothing special, but they are extremely durable. My black/white herringbone jacket, in particular, looks like it did the day I bought it and there were years when I would wear it 2-3 times a week in the fall and winter. I think LE jackets represent good value for the money. I'd buy them before buying from Men's Wearhouse, but this is the quality level we are discussing: somewhere between Mens' Wearhouse and Jos. A. Bank (though I think LE is a better value than JAB).

Edit: Doc Holliday has described their jackets in better detail than I and hits the nail on the head with "boxy, cut full and the cloth fairly coarse". My black/white herringbone jacket I describe above is made of cloth with a texture near burlap.

Todd6060

Reaction score
Originally Posted by garymyman
I hear Sears sells Land's End; do they carry the Canvass stuff?

Some Sears stores carry Canvass and some don't. No Sears store is going to carry everything available at landsend.com though. I find it's best to order online and then return to a Sears store, if necessary.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had an LE suit from the days before their Canvas line. It needed about $80 worth of tailoring, but I actually ended up with a pretty nice, well-constructed and durable as hell suit. The blazer you're looking at is from the Canvas line so it might even have a decent fit out of the box. Also recommend you check out L.L.Bean Signature's suiting. It's similarly well made for the price -- Wool tropic weight available in navy.

TheDroog

Reaction score
I tried this item on at a local Sears, and it's definitely one of the better LEC items. Many "slim" blazers aren't that slim at all, but this one is. If you can't try it on, order two sizes so you get the better fit. I usually wear a 38 or 39 from Brooks Brothers, and the LEC 40 actually fit me best. Strange, since I usually size down with LE and LEC purchases.

NoNothingGuy

Reaction score
Doc mentioned that the sizing/fit/quality is erratic, and I could not agree more.

I have a couple of sports jackets that I ordered in 2005 that are great for casual wear. They look amazing. I bought a tailored fit suit last year and my wife will not let me wear it b/c she says it looks cheap. I actually thought the fit was good (I am a thin guy), but the quality is God awful. I should have returned it but I REALLY wanted to convince myself that it was okay.

I say give it a try, you can always return it. I just wish they had some consistency b/c some of their items are great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads