• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone ever tried the shirt garter?

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butterfly
I was glancing at this... http://www.shirtgartersinc.com/
Anyone ever tried that? Results/how did it feel?

I didn't even know that this thing existed. Doesn't look very comfortable though, especially when you're sitting down. And I wonder if this would produce the men's equivalent of a visible panty line effect (for lack of a better - and manlier - expression).

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems to be used most frequently by military officers. Don't buy it from that site though.

Butterfly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odrs
Buy better fitting shirts.

I didn't say I needed it... was just wondering if anyone was familiar with it. I don't think I'd ever wear it as I suspect it would be visible unless you were wearing very loose trousers, which I don't wear.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its funny how the sleeves of the shirt are magically slimmed with wearing the shirt garter
sly.gif

glowell222

Reaction score
I wore them all the time with dress uniforms when I was in the USMC. However, we called them shirt stays, they were single strap, and you used four: two in front, each attached to your military crease; two in back, each attached to your military crease. We criss-crossed them down our legs and attached to the top of our socks, one on inboard and one out. I still wear them occasionally. They're not uncomfortable and are invisible when you put them on correctly.

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by glowell222
I wore them all the time with dress uniforms when I was in the USMC. However, we called them shirt stays, they were single strap, and you used four: two in front, each attached to your military crease; two in back, each attached to your military crease. We criss-crossed them down our legs and attached to the top of our socks, one on inboard and one out. I still wear them occasionally. They're not uncomfortable and are invisible when you put them on correctly.

Interesting. Out of curiosity, where could one get them?

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Makes sense, kind of like the sock garter but killing two birds with one stone.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A tailored shirt with a grippy tape thingy sewn to the inside of your trouser waist does a good job as well.

Frodo

Reaction score
I wore them for years when I was in the Presidential Honor Guard. They keep your shirt crisply tucked in - all you have to do is ease your belt a little and SNAP down your shirt goes, tight as a drum head. But I cannot imagine this look would be fitting in the civilian world. We all sort of expect a little "ease" in a dress shirt, even a tailored one. Noone expects you to take your jacket off and see a shirt that looks like it's painted on you. You'd look as unnatural as all those male models in the JCPenney's catalogs.
shog[1].gif

And as for keeping your socks up, buy good socks and get ones long enough to go up over your calf.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads