• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone ever taken cheap online classes?

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever taken online classes? Here is my dilemma: To sit for my CPA exam I need to acquire a total of 150 credit hours of secondary education. This is about 21 credit hours more than I need to graduate from my current university. My current university is extremely expensive and I don't see much point in paying their rate to just accumulate credit hours. Anyone have any solutions? I was thinking that some online courses would be the cheapest and easiest solution.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm doing that through my local cc right now. I don't know how your state regulates it, but I can only take up to 15 accounting-specific credit hours on-line, the rest has to be in a classroom.

To me it kinda sucks and it kinda doesn't - depends on the class and subject matter. I think that classroom profs tend to be better than the on-line profs, because there's no teaching on-line - for me it's been reading, homework (on-line), quizzes, and exams.

This, though, may be important: if it's an accounting-specific course, you've got to be sure the course is qualified for CPA exam credit. I think the tipping point is whether a CPA actually teaches the class, but that may vary according to your state.

If you're talking about filling up random hours to hit 150, then a lot of the above caveats probably don't apply, and you can sign up for whatever sounds good to you.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Yeah, I'm doing that through my local cc right now. I don't know how your state regulates it, but I can only take up to 15 accounting-specific credit hours on-line, the rest has to be in a classroom.

To me it kinda sucks and it kinda doesn't - depends on the class and subject matter. I think that classroom profs tend to be better than the on-line profs, because there's no teaching on-line - for me it's been reading, homework (on-line), quizzes, and exams.

This, though, may be important: if it's an accounting-specific course, you've got to be sure the course is qualified for CPA exam credit. I think the tipping point is whether a CPA actually teaches the class, but that may vary according to your state.

If you're talking about filling up random hours to hit 150, then a lot of the above caveats probably don't apply, and you can sign up for whatever sounds good to you.

Thomas,

I'm finished with all of my accounting courses, so much of the above doesn't apply. I will have my account degree already I just need to acquire pointless credit hours. I was thinking about taking some cooking classes at my local cc. That being said...how hard is it to establish residency? I am from Michigan but I am living in Ohio and want to take courses here on the cheap. I have lived in Ohio for 4 years, paid taxes here for 3 and will be starting my full-time job here.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
Thomas, I'm finished with all of my accounting courses, so much of the above doesn't apply. I will have my account degree already I just need to acquire pointless credit hours. I was thinking about taking some cooking classes at my local cc. That being said...how hard is it to establish residency? I am from Michigan but I am living in Ohio and want to take courses here on the cheap. I have lived in Ohio for 4 years, paid taxes here for 3 and will be starting my full-time job here. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
Hmmm, based on the OSU page re: residency, it seems to be up to the uni to determine residency for tuition purposes. As far as state taxation, it seems that if you lived there for the full year, you're a resident. BTW: I don't really see how you could get much out of an on-line cooking class, but I may be behind the curve on technology.
smile.gif

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Hmmm, based on the OSU page re: residency, it seems to be up to the uni to determine residency for tuition purposes. As far as state taxation, it seems that if you lived there for the full year, you're a resident.

BTW: I don't really see how you could get much out of an on-line cooking class, but I may be behind the curve on technology.
smile.gif

Well, the cooking classes would be on-site! Have you looked into online CPA prep-course that count for college credit?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
Well, the cooking classes would be on-site! Have you looked into online CPA prep-course that count for college credit?

I'd hoped they'd be on-site!

I've not looked into the on-line CPA prep-course, right now I'm just accumulating the hours - although that seems to kill two birds with one stone. Unfortunately, this semester puts me at the max of 15 that Texas allows for on-line upper-level accounting credits. Anything after that is in a classroom, but the good news is that I've 9 hours left (and the Mrs. OUGHT to be graduating law school in December, which frees up my evenings!).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads