• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone ever open or manage a bar?

thewallychamp

Reaction score
A friend of mine is all in love with the idea, wants me in as partner.
I've got some friends who manage at 4/5 star restaurants, but that's nowhere near what he's thinking about. Just looking for general advice from all those that have wet their toes

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
is almost as good a way to lose your life savings as a bed & breakfast

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
I have 3 friends who own bars in nashville. They all do VERY well....but one owns a dozen bars in the southeast, and one owns a bar thats quite famous in nashville, and the other is broke. Personally, I wouldnt do it. I managed one for a brief time....its a total pain ********** and makes you hate people.

thewallychamp

Reaction score
the thing is... i'm under the impression that restaurants are much more likely to fail than a bar would. we would have a method of serving food but it's being outsourced - and more importantly than that it's quality food. can't reveal the details though.

so anyone lose their life savings in bar (on the managing side not the drinking side)

thewallychamp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
I have 3 friends who own bars in nashville. They all do VERY well....but one owns a dozen bars in the southeast, and one owns a bar thats quite famous in nashville, and the other is broke. Personally, I wouldnt do it. I managed one for a brief time....its a total pain ********** and makes you hate people.

willing to give the top reasons why?

Reborn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thewallychamp

Because you have to hang out with drunks all day everyday. It is terrible.

thewallychamp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reborn
Because you have to hang out with drunks all day everyday. It is terrible.

obvious enough but some of them are funny anddd some of them are chicks..

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
obvious enough but some of them are funny anddd some of them are chicks..

Funny drunks wear thin fast, as do drunk chicks.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My friend's dad owned a bar for about 6 months then sold it. He sold it because it became too much trouble for him.

Some things to consider are:
1. You have to work and manager the bar almost every night to make any money.
2. You don't get to go home when the bar closes. You still need to clean up, count money, do inventory, etc which will usually take an hour or two after the bar closes.
3. Your friends are going to want free drinks or discounts especially if they helped you invest in it.
4. You better like your bar because you're never going to go out to another one on your rare night off.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
my very close friends have opened/managed bars for the past 2 decades. from what I've learned its a very attractive idea- having a bar of your own, but most of the time its more trouble than its worth.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Texasmade
My friend's dad owned a bar for about 6 months then sold it. He sold it because it became too much trouble for him.

Some things to consider are:
1. You have to work and manager the bar almost every night to make any money.
2. You don't get to go home when the bar closes. You still need to clean up, count money, do inventory, etc which will usually take an hour or two after the bar closes.
3. Your friends are going to want free drinks or discounts especially if they helped you invest in it.
4. You better like your bar because you're never going to go out to another one on your rare night off.

All of this.

Don't own a bar if you like hanging out in bars. You should only consider managing a bar if you like dealing with rowdy drunkards, habitual liars, cheats, scofflaws, broke college students, and depressed single parents. Basically if you would enjoy work as a prison guard or caretaker in a rest home then bar ownership is for you.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

ill briefly explain...

your friends expect free drinks and for you to hook them up with the slutty bartenders
girls you wanna bohn expect free drinks and special treatment
drunk frat boys will try to buddy up with you for free drinks.
drunk frat boys will try ot bohn your bartenders.
drunk girls will start fights with your bartenders for their boyfriends hitting on them
Homeless people will come in and try to get money. then hide in the bathroom.
People will try to stiff you with open tabs.
People will use old or stolen credit cards to start a tab.
fights, fights, fights.

these are just a few reasons.
wink.gif
but, it is fun because you can give your friends free drinks and hook them up with slutty bartenders. (the ones you HAVENT banged yet)
you can give free drinks to girls you wanna bohn, and then bohn them.
you can have drunk frat boys that cause problems kicked out. .... or have your door guy throw them out.
you can watch drunk girls fight in mini skirts.

I only worked there for a short time...then we all just hung out at the bar all the time....hanging out at your friends bar beats the hell out of working for your friend at his bar.

passingtime

Reaction score
My brother and I used to buy rundown bars then build up the business and sell them. It's not difficult to do but it is very hard work. He ran them and I did the business and finance side. It was very profitable but after a while it got to him and he didn't want to do it any more. You start early with deliveries arriving and are there late wrapping up after closing time. As a lifestyle it really sucks which is why he wanted out in the end.

What we used to do was look for badly run bars in reasonable locations. Get rid of the old customers (dump jukeboxes, pool tables, etc. usually does it), focus on providing good food, and make the place pleasant. Ideally rename it and start getting publicity. After a year or so sell it to someone looking for a lifestyle bar and you are done.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
ill briefly explain...

your friends expect free drinks and for you to hook them up with the slutty bartenders
girls you wanna bohn expect free drinks and special treatment
drunk frat boys will try to buddy up with you for free drinks.
drunk frat boys will try ot bohn your bartenders.
drunk girls will start fights with your bartenders for their boyfriends hitting on them
Homeless people will come in and try to get money. then hide in the bathroom.
People will try to stiff you with open tabs.
People will use old or stolen credit cards to start a tab.
fights, fights, fights.

these are just a few reasons.
wink.gif
but, it is fun because you can give your friends free drinks and hook them up with slutty bartenders. (the ones you HAVENT banged yet)
you can give free drinks to girls you wanna bohn, and then bohn them.
you can have drunk frat boys that cause problems kicked out. .... or have your door guy throw them out.
you can watch drunk girls fight in mini skirts.

I only worked there for a short time...then we all just hung out at the bar all the time....hanging out at your friends bar beats the hell out of working for your friend at his bar.

I think this all has a lot to do with the kind of bar you are opening and where it is. A sports bar in Central NJ is going to have a different clientle than a cocktail bar on the Upper West Side of Manhattan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads