• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone ever not able to dress business casual for an interview?

taktikz

Reaction score
About 2 years ago, I was in the process of moving from a city that was 4 hours away(by car). I still had things in my old house, but had thought I had my business casual/formal attire with me. I applied for jobs while here, and within hours I get a phone call saying that they'd like to interview me for the next day. This was already late at night, around 8-9pm. When I realized I had left all my business/formal attire in my old house, I didn't know what to do. I was low on cash and didn't know my way around anywhere..... I decided to show up to the interview wearing jeans and a polo shirt. I explained my situation, and still got the job.
Reason I probably got the job was because I didn't let it get to me...I had the either you take it or leave it attitude..

My question is, has anything similar ever happend to anyone? (Besides Will Smith in the Pursuit of Happyness)

fongstar

Reaction score
One time I went to a business conference about 4 hours away. But, I couldn't find my dress shoes in time to make the last train there on time. So I figured that I'd just buy some shoes once I got there. Unfortunately for me - the bus that picked us up went straight to hotel and we had to suit up for wine and cheese immediately. I went down with running shoes and a suit -- yup, you heard right. In fact, I didn't have free time until the second day to buy a pair.

Worst experience ever. But, it was a great icebreaker story. Look at the bright side
smile.gif
haha.

Gotta work with what you've got!!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I arrived around midnight to a conference in Tulsa, OK for a speaking engagement at 8 the next morning. To my horror, I had forgotten to pack my dress shirts. I ended up wearing a sport shirt with my suit and tie.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Despite pretentious thoughts here and on other web boards, many employers' representatives are actually HUMAN and understand that event may preclude the perceived norm.

It can happen to every one of us so rather than consider the clothes - listen to what is said - that would be a fine change.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a call once to take the next flight out to the client, and this was a very formal east coast client (suit and tie). I had just gotten home the past weekend from another engagement and ALL my suits were at the dry cleaners. So, I booked the tickets, rushed to a store and got suit separates but forgot to pack enough dress shirts.

As the week drew near an end, my dress code went from bad to worse. Of course, the client understood and was even joking about it.

Another similar story was a colleague with blue streaks in her hair was sent from a very casual client to a very formal client without any advance notice. The story is that the client insisted that she go get her hair dyed that very day.

taktikz

Reaction score
Glad most of you, like me, had a positive experience. Keep those stories coming...

beny

Reaction score
For which industry was your interview? I know if anybody dressed like that for an interview at my firm, the resume would go straight in the bin... but, then again, we are pretty white-shoed and blue-blooded.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was interviewing for my first job out of undergrad, I was specifically told not to dress up, that the environment was casual due to the combination of office and field work. I wore khakis and a polo, and that was perfectly acceptable. I was interviewed by someone wearing jeans and steel toe boots.

TxdoHawk

Reaction score
About the worst I've had to do so far is wear black dress slacks in place of a suit's matching pair of trousers. Thankfully, when you work in IT, being able to dress yourself already puts you ahead of 80% of your competition.
teacha.gif

taktikz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by beny
For which industry was your interview? I know if anybody dressed like that for an interview at my firm, the resume would go straight in the bin... but, then again, we are pretty white-shoed and blue-blooded.

It was in the Telecom/Sales industry. What industry is your firm in?

taktikz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
When I was interviewing for my first job out of undergrad, I was specifically told not to dress up, that the environment was casual due to the combination of office and field work. I wore khakis and a polo, and that was perfectly acceptable. I was interviewed by someone wearing jeans and steel toe boots.

I was told the same, "don't dress up, just dress casual". Since it was basically my first job interview where I'm told to not dress up, I'm actually thinking it's okay to show up in jeans.. This was also basically my first job in the US right after HighSchool... So I basically misunderstood the attire required, and although I tried dressing up anyway, I didn't have the proper clothing with me. :p

beny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by taktikz
It was in the Telecom/Sales industry. What industry is your firm in?

Investment banking.

Since you're getting a job out of high school, not college, I'd imagine that dress is a lot more relaxed...

vincerich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by taktikz
About 2 years ago, I was in the process of moving from a city that was 4 hours away(by car). I still had things in my old house, but had thought I had my business casual/formal attire with me. I applied for jobs while here, and within hours I get a phone call saying that they'd like to interview me for the next day. This was already late at night, around 8-9pm. When I realized I had left all my business/formal attire in my old house, I didn't know what to do. I was low on cash and didn't know my way around anywhere..... I decided to show up to the interview wearing jeans and a polo shirt. I explained my situation, and still got the job.
Reason I probably got the job was because I didn't let it get to me...I had the either you take it or leave it attitude..

My question is, has anything similar ever happend to anyone? (Besides Will Smith in the Pursuit of Happyness)

Haha. Great movie and great entertainer

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads