• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anyone ever get a suit tailored at nordy's?

bsyde82

Reaction score
im assuming you can bring a suit NOT bought from nordy's and get it tailored there...was wondering how their quality/price is?

im thinking their customer service is pretty good so it seems like a good idea to take it to them rather than goto a hole in the wall tailor

sbw4224

Reaction score
Nordstrom's policy is not to tailor anything sold outside of Nordstrom. They're pretty serious about it, too. I'd suggest calling their tailor shop and asking for a good recommendation.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Department store tailors are notoriously incompetant. See the MC archives for better recommendations.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bsyde82
im assuming you can bring a suit NOT bought from nordy's and get it tailored there...was wondering how their quality/price is?

im thinking their customer service is pretty good so it seems like a good idea to take it to them rather than goto a hole in the wall tailor

in general, department store tailors are a bad idea (not always true - i think some of the more prominent men's stores of NYC have great tailors, but almost always true). you're better off finding a/the good tailor in your town.

this, by the way, is one of the reasons buying a full price suit at a department store for the free alterations "perk" is kind of pointless.

in what city are you located?

bsyde82

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
in general, department store tailors are a bad idea (not always true - i think some of the more prominent men's stores of NYC have great tailors, but almost always true). you're better off finding a/the good tailor in your town.

this, by the way, is one of the reasons buying a full price suit at a department store for the free alterations "perk" is kind of pointless.

in what city are you located?

im in seattle...

i figure since nordy's customer service is pretty damn good...if they screw up...they'd compensate you somehow....

also, they carry pretty high end suits now too so i figure ppl if ppl are tailoring armani suits at nordy's and are satisfied, i should be fine tailoring my banana republic suit jacket there as well

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In general, the rule is to patronize someone who earns his living from doing a good job.

Dept store tailors, as a class, do not qualify.

Why not get the recs's for a top quality alterations tailor and go to him or her? If Nordstrom has no rec's, just call some top men's shop in town.

gyea

Reaction score
i get my jeans hemmed at nordstroms at bellevue square, and they always do a good job. never had a suit tailored by them. my brother gets his suits done at a small shop in bellevue, kinda around chipotle. if you're interested i can find out the name.

jj4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gyea
my brother gets his suits done at a small shop in bellevue, kinda around chipotle. if you're interested i can find out the name.

It might be Beck's Tailors which is about a block and a half from the chipolte.
Their primary business is making suits. I have used them to alter a Jacket once a couple years back and I also got all my custom made dress shirts from them. They aren't cheap, but they do a good job and have great customer service in my experience.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I had Beck's alter a suit for me a long time ago and was not impressed. They hemmed the sleeves and the pants too long. Also the guy gave me a really stupid snooty look when I asked him if they made unlined or half lined jackets and told me "of course not, why would anyone want that..." or some crap. (If you don't know why this is an absurd thing to say, just believe me. Oxxford jackets are very often 1/4 or half lined, for example.)

Anyway, there have been recs for Seattle tailors, do a search. Or call Mario's and ask who they recommend - they farm out some of their work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads