• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else watching Rockstar?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Anyone else following it?

Its kinda pathetic and cheesy, but there are pretty good singers singing really good songs, so its kinda got me in.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's so packaged and weird. They're all dressed and have hair so they look like what a rockstar "should" look like. It's worse than american idol. I do have to say, the bullish looking girl with the cool voice is kinda different, but most of it is pretty terrible.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Mat, there really isn't anything better to do than watch ****** American tv?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
well i could watch DVDs by the thousands, but that would be too much like your life.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
well i could watch DVDs by the thousands, but that would be too much like your life.

touche

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
manufactured rock and roll at its best.

Stax

Reaction score
total cheese, but the backup band is great.

I haven't been watching the new season, so I don't know if Navarro is still involved. It seems beneath him. Not far beneath him, but beneath him nonetheless.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but the lead guitarist plays the same pentatonic self indulgent solo in every song it seems... but yeah, they're pretty tight from a performance perspective. They totally carry most of those idiots.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
manufactured rock and roll at its best.
yeah but I dont resent them for it this year. Last year I hated the idea of manufacturing a lead singer for INXS - maybe just because Michael Hutchence manages to be both dead and Australian. I dont really object to them manufacturing a fake lead singer for a fake band.

someoneNew

Reaction score
-Agreed the backup band is good -Odd fit that Newstead joined up with Clarke and Lee -Odd fit that Clarke joined up with Newstead and Lee since their level of stardom is vastly greater. -Odd that none of the singers have sung one true metal song -Odd that the singers aren't jumping to play with the members -Odd that these are the "best" singers they could find to front this group in the world!?!? -What the hell are pop singers doing there? -I can't imagine one of them fronting the group, even Dylana (or however you spell her name) or Lucas. -How can any of them even even hope to do well fronting that group following in the footsteps of Axl Rose and James Hetfield lol! Ludicrous. All this being said, I watch it but enjoy Project Runway more
crazy.gif

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by someoneNew
-Agreed the backup band is good
-Odd fit that Newstead joined up with Clarke and Lee
-Odd fit that Clarke joined up with Newstead and Lee since their level of stardom is vastly greater.
-Odd that none of the singers have sung one true metal song
-Odd that the singers aren't jumping to play with the members
-Odd that these are the "best" singers they could find to front this group in the world!?!?
-What the hell are pop singers doing there?
-I can't imagine one of them fronting the group, even Dylana (or however you spell her name) or Lucas.
-How can any of them even even hope to do well fronting that group following in the footsteps of Axl Rose and James Hetfield lol! Ludicrous.

All this being said, I watch it but enjoy Project Runway more
crazy.gif

Are you saying that Gilby Clarke and Newstead are bigger than Tommy Lee? Are you insane? Ya, maybe in rock cred, but in actual fame, Tommy Lee is by FAR the biggest name in that program.

Also, any GnR fan considers Gilby Clarke a jerkoff... the only surprise for me is that Newstead even considered this. He's the only real musician there as far as I'm concerned, the only one who hasn't sold out his credibility until doing this horrible show.

someoneNew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
Are you saying that Gilby Clarke and Newstead are bigger than Tommy Lee? Are you insane? Ya, maybe in rock cred, but in actual fame, Tommy Lee is by FAR the biggest name in that program.

Also, any GnR fan considers Gilby Clarke a jerkoff... the only surprise for me is that Newstead even considered this. He's the only real musician there as far as I'm concerned, the only one who hasn't sold out his credibility until doing this horrible show.

You got it way wrong from my post.

Tommy Lee is the biggest name regarding celebrities (but who cares about that!?). I believe more people are familiar with Newsteds former band's music than Tommy's wouldn't you agree?

And no, not all GnR fan's consider Clarke a jerkoff - did you take a poll or something
dozingoff.gif

Izzy was awesome and wrote sweet songs, but Gilby is still a great player and "filled in" for Izzy nicely.

What we do agree on is, how the hell did Jason sign up for this gig!?
Lee, ok I can see it, he's about attention and being famous. Clarke, he's relatively a nobody and can only go up from here. But Jason
lookaround.gif
huh? I shudder to think what his ex-mates are thinking.

Overall, I love all 3 bands these guys came from so I dig them as musicians. Last night's show was the best performance yet for most of the contestants but I still can't picture that band behind one of the these singers.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by someoneNew
You got it way wrong from my post.

Tommy Lee is the biggest name regarding celebrities (but who cares about that!?). I believe more people are familiar with Newsteds former band's music than Tommy's wouldn't you agree?

And no, not all GnR fan's consider Clarke a jerkoff - did you take a poll or something
dozingoff.gif

Izzy was awesome and wrote sweet songs, but Gilby is still a great player and "filled in" for Izzy nicely.

What we do agree on is, how the hell did Jason sign up for this gig!?
Lee, ok I can see it, he's about attention and being famous. Clarke, he's relatively a nobody and can only go up from here. But Jason
lookaround.gif
huh? I shudder to think what his ex-mates are thinking.

Overall, I love all 3 bands these guys came from so I dig them as musicians. Last night's show was the best performance yet for most of the contestants but I still can't picture that band behind one of the these singers.

I've been a die hard guns fan for a long time... people's opinion on Gilby has been kind of a known thing ever since he took over for izzy on tour... he's phony, and totally doesn't fit in with their image. Ya, he's a great session guitarist, but is completely lame.

go to heretodaygonetohell.com or any other large GnR website... gilby gets ripped on by most people.

Now I see what you mean, although, don't underestimate how massive Motley Crue was. Metallica is a massive band too, but it sort of downplayed the kingsize personalities and focused on the music more, whereas, because of the fad like nature of Crue, a guy like Tommy Lee might be more familiar as a musician. In terms of rocker cred, I cannot agree more than Newstead is supreme, and supremely dissapointing for doing this show. Not for trying something new, but for tying himself on to two other reality whores like Lee and Navarro.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
perhaps bret michaels, jani lane, or (shudder) john waite can join in!

someoneNew

Reaction score
I'm making my judgement of Gilby from seeing him live. I haven't visited GnR sites to see what those viewers think of him, but I was more than happy with his live performance, and the group I was with didn't complain.
Talk about not fitting in with their image, Dizzy
devil.gif

I don't underestimate the Crue's success. Althought it pretty much died when the 90s rolled around. But I remember Feelgood and Girls and they were kings of the world at that moment. But I have to think that Lee's popularity as a musician has a lot to do with Pam Anderson and that scene. All of sudden everyone reading People Magazine knew that Tommy was a drummer for the Crue, and by adding those that knew Crue he became extremely well known.

Yeah, I don't know what drove Jason to do this. He's richer than a king so it can't be money. Who knows, maybe Jason and the rest want to help a singer who may not make it big on his/her own. However, if that's the case why would they want it to be so American Idol'ish which probably 99% of rock fans find disgusting.

Surprisingly, there are some decent performers in the show. I might pay a small club fee to see a few of them front a band.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads