1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else watching Rockstar?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Matt, Jul 25, 2006.

1. funk_soul_brother

funk_soul_brother Senior member

i'm not watching it at all this year, mostly cause i don't have access to it in this part of the world.

BUT,

i watched Rockstar:INXS religiously last year and the guy who one, J.D. Fortune, is from my hometown. so we were obviously pretty excited when he won.

i thought they were, for the most part, VERY talented. i couldn't even watch a single episode of American Idol because i felt like there was such an enormous level of difference between the actual talents of the contestants on each show.

2. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

yeah but the reality TV talent show business model is one that relies on an assumption that people who vote for the winner end up with some kind of ownership or vested interest in the band, and turn into album buyers.

American Idol pulls it off brilliantly.

Hiring a singer to front them misses out on this, as well as the paycheck for the TV show, as well as the publicity that the band gets before its formation and first rehearsal session.

Whether that happens for Supernova or not remains to be seen, but that is why they just dont pluck out a singer from a now-defunct decent band.

As to band member motivations for being there...Newstead - who knows. Gilby just happy someone invited him out, and Tommy Lee would show up to the opening of a window.

so true... he's DJing at some rave 20 minutes from here tonight... and he's DJed in a club in montreal once or twice.

3. Matt

Matt Senior member

m@t, I don't know really agree with your theory. Yes, that theory works for nobodies like the American Idol winners - has there even been any success from the 2nd seasons winner?

These guys are largely big already in the rock community, they don't need money, they'll get airplay for being "them," and with the success of other "supergroups" they could easily draw a crowd because they would be the next one.

i dunno man, theres a world full of once-we-were-famous exrockers trying to bank on former successes for future ones.

Slash's Snakepit anyone?

Think the reality model and the audience ownership it encourages shores up the investment for the labels and tour promoters knowing that they are 'big' (even if artificially so) before the band has even formed.

4. someoneNew

someoneNew Senior member

You have viable theory, it could definitely work, I doubt it but who knows what will happen.

Velvet Revolver and Audioslave have had platinum albums.
    Those are 2 pretty successful supergroups as opposed to the Snakepit's of the bunch. I think the key is to find the right frontman, which these 2 groups obviously did, and didn't Slash try to handle his own lyrics in Snakepit? No wonder it was never big.

If Supernova found someone like Patton, Danzig, someone with a reputation and the goods to back it up they could go platinum. I can't imagine them going platinum with one of these reality show finalists. I think they'll lose a majority of their base audience and the new reality fans won't make up for it. Whereas , bringing in a top frontman would add that frontmans fans, plus some Metallica, some GnR, and some Crue fans. To me this just seems like the obvious way to go and VR and Audioslave have already displayed the winning recipe.

5. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

i dunno man, theres a world full of once-we-were-famous exrockers trying to bank on former successes for future ones.

Slash's Snakepit anyone?

Think the reality model and the audience ownership it encourages shores up the investment for the labels and tour promoters knowing that they are 'big' (even if artificially so) before the band has even formed.

Well, that only really had Slash in it, and he wrote the songs (in GnR he was responsible for a lot of the melodies, not lyrics). It's 5 Oclock somewhere still sold quite a bit, don't think it went Platinum but it still did well.

6. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

i'm not watching it at all this year, mostly cause i don't have access to it in this part of the world.

BUT,

i watched Rockstar:INXS religiously last year and the guy who one, J.D. Fortune, is from my hometown. so we were obviously pretty excited when he won.

i thought they were, for the most part, VERY talented. i couldn't even watch a single episode of American Idol because i felt like there was such an enormous level of difference between the actual talents of the contestants on each show.

as expected, they got the one the band feels is closest to hutchence vocally and in appearance, imo. the band should've called it: the michael hutchence sing-a-like.

7. Matt

Matt Senior member

who did they kick out this week?

Im up in Hanoi, didnt see it

8. someoneNew

someoneNew Senior member

They gave Zayara the boot, and should've canned Patrice at the same time.
    Supernova played a song with Dylana fronting them and it didn't sound good IMO.

9. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Ran into Lukas Rossi on saturday at a store on melrose, he was behind me waiting to buy some stuff....my fiance and I said "hey" to him and chatted for a minute. Guy definitely stands out even amongst a bunch of other guys that have a similar look going on.

10. Matt

Matt Senior member

so would you let him front your band Jason?

11. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

haha....well he's a great singer. Don't know if his look is sussed enuff for my kinda band.

Now Storm Large....I'd let her front in anyway she'd like.

and she wasnt the best singer but I thought Patrice Pike was really cute

12. someoneNew

someoneNew Senior member

It was definitely the time for Patrice to get the boot - she is just too limited in her singing. I think I heard one good scream out of her in the entire show. I'd think Storm is probably the next one out.

13. wpeters

wpeters Senior member

yeah, why did newstead leave metallica anyway?
    Several reasons, not least of which was his desire to make records at a faster clip, and his desire to play with bands other than Metallica. The latter did not go over well with Hetfield and Ulrich.

14. Matt

Matt Senior member

wow, good show tonight

15. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

yea totally. they really tore it up this round. But I think my hottie Storm is gonna get the boot this evening...

16. someoneNew

someoneNew Senior member

yea totally. they really tore it up this round. But I think my hottie Storm is gonna get the boot this evening...

Completely agree, and the sad part is she did well. The group is really up there in talent now and it's going to be interesting to see a "bottom three" because they all are good. Storm has been impressive because she gets songs that she says are hard for her vocally and then executes them very well (Aerosmith, Bowie, and now Evanescence). Gilby liked Jill's version better than Storms!?

So Dilana says shes from Texas but sounds like she's from Aussie or UK... anyone know?

What was with Newsteds comment towards Ryan and only being able to perform behind the piano!? Uhh did he miss Ryans original song where he rocked it while playing guitar - and he had by far the best original material.

Anyway fun stuff, I could sure do w/o all the "reality show BS drama" but that's what the Americanos want to see.

17. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

I think Dilana's accent is her cultural one...she's some kind of middle-easterner right? Yea, Newsted's comment was off....it's like he just saw the beginning and went the bathroom during the rest of the song. I wasnt too into Toby's Billy Idol...didnt do it for me.

18. justlurkingthanks

justlurkingthanks Senior member

Yeah, Storm got boned last night. And not just in my imagination.

19. Matt

Matt Senior member

Dilana sounds like a SAffer to me, but yeah its an unusual accent. Definitely not Australian.

I think Storm deserved the boot based on last night, she wasnt bad, but I thought basically everyone else blew her away. But the 'Tommyhawk' (*shudder*) fell on Ryan. I thought he was awesome last night.

Think there may have been some gender considerations in there, maybe they didnt want to narrow it to one chick with a few weeks to spare, and knew that if Storm stayed, Ryan was - in all probability - the next to go.

20. someoneNew

someoneNew Senior member

Dilana sounds like a SAffer to me, but yeah its an unusual accent. Definitely not Australian. I think Storm deserved the boot based on last night, she wasnt bad, but I thought basically everyone else blew her away. But the 'Tommyhawk' (*shudder*) fell on Ryan. I thought he was awesome last night. Think there may have been some gender considerations in there, maybe they didnt want to narrow it to one chick with a few weeks to spare, and knew that if Storm stayed, Ryan was - in all probability - the next to go.
    Yeah, I'm disappointed Ryan got the boot too. He seemed to always sing with some serious emotion. If Storm went last night I would've figured Toby or Ryan would be next, and I figure one of them will go next week. BTW, what's a SAffer? Sauidi Arabian?