• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else tired of the slim fitting trend?

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not, nor have ever been, slim -- but then, neither have I ever been trendy.

That just leaves tired, which I am in spades.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not a big fan of slim fit clothes--I have no problem wearing them, but I just don't like how they look on me. I have broad shoulders and a narrow waist (42 drop 9-10), so it just looks terrible if I wear anything with ultra skinny lapels. With that said, I think the "GQ" look is very obnoxious. It makes me want to cry whenever I open that magazine. That is my idea of the ultra mod look.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
The key word is fit, not slim/skinny.

It looks bad when everyone, from hipsters to the obese, attempt to sausage themselves into a slim fitting garment that just looks awkward and juvenile. I heard some dumbass ask if the down coat is slim fitting. I hope he freezes.

Huh? Are you speaking Greece? Down coats (bubble coats) are supposed to be fitted so no air can get underneath them therefore keeping one warm.

Bellison

Reaction score
lol, ouch. you're rough!

Originally Posted by Modern Gatsby
Somebody is just mad they can't wear the slim clothes. Go to the gym...

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
The key word is fit, not slim/skinny.

It looks bad when everyone, from hipsters to the obese, attempt to sausage themselves into a slim fitting garment that just looks awkward and juvenile. I heard some dumbass ask if the down coat is slim fitting. I hope he freezes.

Go wear ******* baggy pants like the Duke of Windsor if that make you feel better.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
Go wear ******* baggy pants like the Duke of Windsor if that make you feel better.

even better

StacyAdams_main071126.jpg

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excuse the brutality, but why should we care about a 'trend' anyway?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fashion for it is ending, actually.

Check the recent shows of Lanvin and other lines.

Many designers are showing coats that are still short, but boxier.

The 80s revival helps promote this.

It will percolate through the clothing culture over the next few years.

What genuinely stylish men choose to do or not do is up to them.

I stand by my sig.

bigchris1313

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
8 inch drop. (im sure 4 for the op, lol)

I'll echo what's already been said: 7"+ drop =/= skinny. Not by a long shot. I have a 10" drop. I'm 6'1" and 293 lbs.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the definition of slim in this thread? Is it a RLBL like suit or is it a skin tight pair of jeans? The former I consider slim, the later skinny. Slim, I dig. Of course I'm 6'0 and 145-150.

wetnose

Reaction score
Not a fan of the slim leg...which taper down to the ankle...combined with pointy shoes: UGH

onlinematt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
What's the definition of slim in this thread? Is it a RLBL like suit or is it a skin tight pair of jeans? The former I consider slim, the later skinny. Slim, I dig. Of course I'm 6'0 and 145-150.

RLBL slim is acceptable. Muscle tops are not.

I'm glad that dirty hispter fad is coming to a close.

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The concept of "Slim" seems to be based on a fairly vaporous definition in this discussion.

If it's the painted on jeans of the smelly hipster archetype or the "soon to be doomed to the rag pile" skinny lapels and ties of some guy like Bill Maher, then count me out at the first available exit....if not sooner

But if we are talking "fitted," which is something quite different regardless of a gent's size, then I'm in.

In fact, having had the misfortune of being stranded in O'Hare for 6 hours last week, I could have counted on one hand the number of men whose clothes actually "fit" their physiques.

An extra 6" of fabric at the hem of pants, yards of excess in the bodies of jackets, and shoulders that were creeping towards the biceps were the rule, not the exception. Don't even get me started on the shoes (and WTF is the blazer-***-ballcap look?).

It made me think that if this great nation needs a bailout designed to help the masses, its one based on tailoring not economics.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics