• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else not drink?

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I quit a couple of years ago. I'm not a recovering alcoholic or straight edge or anything, just got to where I don't like it anymore. It makes me tired and I know it's awful for my body. It definitely feels like I'm the only person I know who doesn't drink and isn't in recovery or religious. Anyone else here with me?

juliank

Reaction score
I don't drink. I did it out of pure psychological curiosity. I've done this with other things as well. I am just wired to get bored with and question all of my ingrained habits. Gave up the internet for a month, took only cold showers for 6 months, fasted, varied masturbation intervals, etc.

When I quit drinking I didn't notice much difference right away but after a few months the quality of my life shot up in almost every single facet of my life that I doubt I would ever go back. BTW I never talk about this stuff in public or social settings because people will think you are a douche or weird. When people ask me I just always laugh " ha, not in the mood today, taking a break etc".

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't trust a guy who doesn't drink, sorry.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I'm not supposed to have more than two drinks in a night so I have the tolerance of a middle school girl. I do miss getting drunk, but oh well.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't bring it up either. I have a lot of business or networking meetings in restaurants and bars. Attorneys are a hard drinking lot and it occasionally gets slightly awkward, but I've found that as long as I don't act self righteous about it people usually don't care much.

juliank

Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
Yeah, I don't bring it up either. I have a lot of business or networking meetings in restaurants and bars. Attorneys are a hard drinking lot and it occasionally gets slightly awkward, but I've found that as long as I don't act self righteous about it people usually don't care much.

Ya, I have fine tuned this to a tee. What's funny to me is that it's usually only drunks or borderline alcoholics that give you the most **** about "not having a drink". Normal drinkers aka well adapted individuals don't really care all that much.

juliank

Reaction score
Also, one thing that I have learned that gets other drunks other going when I am in bar/club settings with them is to act slightly sauced even when I am sober. As someone who has been drunk many times I know the deal.

I will crack jokes, engage everyone in our group, hit on women randomly, maintain a high energy vibe that keeps people on their toes. I am naturally extroverted and tend to to be the center of the room type of guy so when I quit drinking I didn't dial down this aspect of my personality. In fact, people love it when they are drinking and I maintain that "same guy they always knew" just sober deal. Being sober allows me to callibrate to any social situation much more quickly and efficiently these days. Since I've been sober I have plowed 4X as many chicks and that's on the conservative end of things.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I am and really have always been more of a coffee + weed sort of guy, although I did drink my fair share for many years. I make no apologies.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I was training seriously, I didn't drink. The two just didn't stack well, couldn't get a good workout in after drinking the day before, and the water retention/weight gain made me look like ****.

Now I drink a little more than I'm comfortable with, but it's still probably not that much by normal standards. Neither of my parents ever drank, so casual drinking still feels a bit weird to me even now.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just put a swizzle stick in your glass of cranberry juice or cola and nobody will ask questions.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't drink. When out and about I'll have a coke or soda and cran. I don't make an issue of it and neither does anyone else.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads