• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else joining a gym this January? Talk to me.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's why I have a private training studio...

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
What difference does it actually make? For you, and for them?

Time is the difference. I don't have 3 hours to spend in the gym so I don't waste time. I don't care if someone is resting between sets for 5 minutes but just get off the damn machine. I can do all my sets and rests in 5-10 minutes and move on to another machine in the time they are 'resting' from doing 1 set. I'm talking the machines anyway that max out at 200lbs so it would be similar to someone resting 5 minutes between sets of push-ups or something that doesnt require any rest. I just can't see how spending 25 minutes on 1 machine with relatively light weight is in anyway productive.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I hate this time of the year, during primetime hours the gym is so packed I actually can't get on the equipment with my clients half the time. I want to yell EVERYBODY WHO IS GOING TO QUIT IN 1 MONTH GET THE **** OUT NOW. Don't be like them.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by underwearer
Time is the difference. I don't have 3 hours to spend in the gym so I don't waste time. I don't care if someone is resting between sets for 5 minutes but just get off the damn machine. I can do all my sets and rests in 5-10 minutes and move on to another machine in the time they are 'resting' from doing 1 set. I'm talking the machines anyway that max out at 200lbs so it would be similar to someone resting 5 minutes between sets of push-ups or something that doesnt require any rest. I just can't see how spending 25 minutes on 1 machine with relatively light weight is in anyway productive.

You sound like a lovely person. I'm very thankful that I don't have to deal with people like you at my gym.

I was asking what difference it makes if the person is resting for 30-60 seconds between sets... Are you really going to jump on the machine if someone moves around for 45 seconds between sets? No. You find another machine and wait for your turn. I hope

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here is to hoping that '08 will be my 17th straight year without seeing the inside of a gym.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The gym has been a zoo since the new year. Honestly though I always try and find the goofy little kid who's wearing loafers and just sitting idly on the bench and ask to work in with him. They always leave after a couple of sets. And then I spend the rest of my time giving the come hither look to the chub chub ladies.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You sound like a lovely person. I'm very thankful that I don't have to deal with people like you at my gym.

I was asking what difference it makes if the person is resting for 30-60 seconds between sets... Are you really going to jump on the machine if someone moves around for 45 seconds between sets? No. You find another machine and wait for your turn. I hope

I'm talking about people resting for 5-10 minutes. I would never sit at a machine while others are waiting and just chill, talk on the phone, whatever. Most people are cool enough to let me get on the machine while they rest and bust out some reps. I even return the machine back to the settings they were using. I don't think this is unreasonable.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
I hate this time of the year, during primetime hours the gym is so packed I actually can't get on the equipment with my clients half the time. I want to yell EVERYBODY WHO IS GOING TO QUIT IN 1 MONTH GET THE **** OUT NOW. Don't be like them.

Perfect example:

I was warming up yesterday at around 9:10 at night (hardly primetime hours). And I was right next to a multipurpose machine that has parallel bars running overhead which are perfect for warming up; 1.5 minutes of time at the most. I was right about to jump onto the bars when one of the personal trainers with a client walks up to me and asks me if I'm using the machine, and I said yes.

He gave me the dirtiest look ever and asked me when I was going to finish and I said, in about 2-3 minutes. He said ok, but gave me yet another horrible look. WTF? I mean I wasn't screwing about, and I was finished in about 2 minutes. And while I understand he wanted to use the machine with his client, I as well had to wait 20 minutes for a machine, but I didn't ***** about it.

Jon.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by underwearer
I'm talking about people resting for 5-10 minutes. I would never sit at a machine while others are waiting and just chill, talk on the phone, whatever. Most people are cool enough to let me get on the machine while they rest and bust out some reps. I even return the machine back to the settings they were using. I don't think this is unreasonable.

Not at all, but most people aren't that considerate. I took this into consideration before I joined my new gym: I knew full well that it wouldn't be like my clubhouse gyms where I had the whole place (by whole I mean 12 machines
laugh.gif
) to myself and I wouldn't be bothered by anyone.

Jon.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You should probably yell AT YOUR MANAGEMENT for selling that many subscriptions and encouraging the NY resolution market with all sorts of promotions. They are responsible for creating this environment, not the customers who start something with good intentions and cannot stick to it.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You should probably yell AT YOUR MANAGEMENT for selling that many subscriptions and encouraging the NY resolution market with all sorts of promotions. They are responsible for creating this environment, not the customers who start something with good intentions and cannot stick to it.

It's a bit of both, no?

Jon.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
It's a bit of both, no?
I don't know... I don't think you can blame people for trying to be healthy and work out. I guess you could blame them for dropping out, but then the gyms would be much fuller if they didn't.

Memberships would also be much pricier if it weren't for them. So everyone here should thank "everybody who is going to quit in 1 month" as they are actually subsidizing our membership cost...

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Perfect example:

I was warming up yesterday at around 9:10 at night (hardly primetime hours). And I was right next to a multipurpose machine that has parallel bars running overhead which are perfect for warming up; 1.5 minutes of time at the most. I was right about to jump onto the bars when one of the personal trainers with a client walks up to me and asks me if I'm using the machine, and I said yes.

He gave me the dirtiest look ever and asked me when I was going to finish and I said, in about 2-3 minutes. He said ok, but gave me yet another horrible look. WTF? I mean I wasn't screwing about, and I was finished in about 2 minutes. And while I understand he wanted to use the machine with his client, I as well had to wait 20 minutes for a machine, but I didn't ***** about it.

Jon.

That was pretty unprofessional, we might think "ok fuckface" but we never show it.
smile.gif

Memberships would also be much pricier if it weren't for them. So everyone here should thank "everybody who is going to quit in 1 month" as they are actually subsidizing our membership cost...
I hope that isn't the case, my gym already charges $175/month + a $1500 initiation fee, I'd hate to think what the dues might be otherwise... My gym has a partnership with the Microsoft campus nearby which has a population of 40-50k people. Everybody who works there has a gym membership. This is one of the biggest gyms in the world, but if all those nerds decided they wanted to come work out at once, no building would hold them.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
That was pretty unprofessional, we might think "ok fuckface" but we never show it.
smile.gif

I hope that isn't the case, my gym already charges $175/month + a $1500 initiation fee, I'd hate to think what the dues might be otherwise... My gym has a partnership with the Microsoft campus nearby which has a population of 40-50k people. Everybody who works there has a gym membership. This is one of the biggest gyms in the world, but if all those nerds decided they wanted to come work out at once, no building would hold them.

Could you imagine seeing Bill Gates & the like pumpin some iron?

He'd be benching the bar with no weights!
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads