• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else here lift?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lift (though, I'm currently at the tail end of a 3 week rest period). My stats aren't that impressive (though I weigh in at 200 lbs). As for supplements, I take whey, a multivitam, flaxseed oil and fish oil. I think creatine wreaks havoc on the kidneys and I avoid the stuff like the plague (I speak from personal experience - I got a kidney stone once that doctors attributed to taking creatine - it was not very pleasant).

AdamG

Reaction score
Creatine doesn't even work for around 20% of the population, and I am in that 20%. I hardly need it though.

odoreater you are taking the right supplements, I find flaxseed oil brilliant for general health, along with muscle gains.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AdamG
Hey guys, first post and whatnot.

Name is Adam, 18 year old from New Zealand.

I've been lifting weights for the last two years, currently my stats are around 250 bench, 410 deadlift, 350 squat weighing 187.

Was wondering is anyone else here hits the weights?

I'm in the middle of P/RR/S at the moment, seeing stunning gains on it, anyone else tried it?

Cheers,

Adam.

That's good numbers. But let me ask you this. Why do need to hit these big numbers? For who's benefit. If you are doing it to impress others, that's a lot of work to impress other people.

Remember, you do excercise to stay healthy, those big numbers WILL hurt you in the long run. I am only saying this to save you from injuries and internal organ damages that you will be taking (if not started already). I have never met anyone who over 40 yrs old and lift big numbers in his hay days and stays healthy. They all develop chronic back pain (including myself), elbow joint pain, and some develop stomache alcers due to taking high amount of protien.

Find your comfort zone and just stay there.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MilanoStyle
That's good numbers. But let me ask you this. Why do need to hit these big numbers? For who's benefit. If you are doing it to impress others, that's a lot of work to impress other people.

Remember, you do excercise to stay healthy, those big numbers WILL hurt you in the long run. I am only saying this to save you from injuries and internal organ damages that you will be taking (if not started already). I have never met anyone who over 40 yrs old and lift big numbers in his hay days and stays healthy. They all develop chronic back pain (including myself), elbow joint pain, and some develop stomache alcers due to taking high amount of protien.

Find your comfort zone and just stay there.

Let me differ a bit. I am 50, lifted much of my adult life, have lifted heavy from time to time - have been reasonably injury free. (Have not done much in last month due to a non-lifting shoulder injury.) No problems with protein (I think adequate hydration helps).

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
Let me differ a bit. I am 50, lifted much of my adult life, have lifted heavy from time to time - have been reasonably injury free. (Have not done much in last month due to a non-lifting shoulder injury.) No problems with protein (I think adequate hydration helps).

I'm only 31, and I lift, but only to supplement other types of exercise. I've found that if you do it enough, that you can get pretty strong without putting on much mass at all, or even risk injury (I am pretty slim at 5'11" and 151-153 lbs soaking wet, and never took/take supplements, but have been up to 235 lbs bench failrly easily). However, if you really want to build strength without putting on too much mass but getting more definition, I would advise exercises like pullups, burpees, and sprint drills rather than just lifting. You get a lot more power. I find that a lot of guys who mainly lift seem to lack fast twitch muscles and corrdination. Just imhe though.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree 100% re: role of lifting. I have included it as part of an exercise plan.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lift but I have to say the "lifter look" is not in vogue among high fashion these days. Thus the somewhat sarcastic response from some members here. Kind of goes along with the amjack stereotype I guess.

Perhaps its still cool to lift (there were a lot of "****** is way too muscular, what APCs will fit?" threads a few months ago) but even more cool not to talk about it.

i bench 250. had to get that in there

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I'm only 31, and I lift, but only to supplement other types of exercise. I've found that if you do it enough, that you can get pretty strong without putting on much mass at all, or even risk injury (I am pretty slim at 5'11" and 151-153 lbs soaking wet, and never took/take supplements, but have been up to 235 lbs bench failrly easily). However, if you really want to build strength without putting on too much mass but getting more definition, I would advise exercises like pullups, burpees, and sprint drills rather than just lifting. You get a lot more power. I find that a lot of guys who mainly lift seem to lack fast twitch muscles and corrdination. Just imhe though.

My favorite exercise for building up power and for engaging those fast twitch muscles is the good old power clean. I work those into my rotation every couple weeks just to keep my hops up for basketball.

Goblin

Reaction score
I'm dieting down really hard and am therefore weak as a kitten right now.
frown.gif
Right now I'm using two relatively abbreviated full-body routines, each once a week, made up almost exclusively of big compound movements. As I'm trying to get back under 10% body fat, I'm concentrating more on cardio, specifically interval training, than on the weights right now.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237

Water helps digestion. When consuming large amount of protein, it is a good idea to use digestive supplements.

Also, L-glutamine is a supplement believed to help weightlifters.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Goblin
I'm dieting down really hard and am therefore weak as a kitten right now.
frown.gif
Right now I'm using two relatively abbreviated full-body routines, each once a week, made up almost exclusively of big compound movements. As I'm trying to get back under 10% body fat, I'm concentrating more on cardio, specifically interval training, than on the weights right now.

Sprints and interval training in general will make you lose fat like a mofo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads