• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anyone else have to wear a uniform for work?

eightdouble

Reaction score
just curious. i personally am a pilot for an airline, but i'm wondering if there are any other uniformed workers here and in what ways you make a style statement whilst conforming to your company's uniform policy? be it a more dressed up uniform (such as a pilot/police officer/military) or a more casual uniform (like a standard polo/button up you must wear to your job)?

how do you make yourself stand out in an outfit that is made to make you look the same?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wear your uniform and don't try to stick any "flair" in it or something.

Just make sure it fits right. Don't be afraid to take it to a tailor just because its a uniform and not your regular clothes...you probably spend lots of time in it.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Tailor it so it fits, but don't try to liven it up with a brooch or cardigan or something. You'll look like a bit of a dick.

eightdouble

Reaction score
i do wear my uniform and the pants are highly tailored, the shirts that i wear are the most tapered, slim fitting shirts i can find, and i wear a nice pair of shell cordovan shoes with it. i don't really try to trick it out at all, in the winter the only thing i do is wear a barbour navy coat instead of the standard navy topcoat that they sell via our company uniform supplier (which is the worst quality coat i can even imagine).

blue squares

Reaction score
I'm in the Navy and I wear a uniform made of the blue camo you seen in my avatar. The only thing I can do for fashion is wear up to one watch and one bracelet. The uniform is made very poorly and buttons are always falling off, tons of loose threads everywhere, and the legs billow out. However, part of one set of cammies is an all-weather jacket that is made with a Gortex liner and costs $150. Everyone in my division was complaining about it but I'd gladly pay that much for all my uniform items if they were made of the same quality.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you should get a DnG belt

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to wear navy scrubs at work, but I've found that they come in a small variety of cuts and pocket configurations, so it is possible at personalize them for yourself within those parameters.

catlettsl

Reaction score
I'm a police officer. I used to wear uniforms all the time but now I work in a non uniformed section (narcotics). But when i was wearing i didn't waste time or money trying to stand out. Too busy working ot! !

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You could go bespoke if you really want to throw down some $$$

Take your uniform to a bespoke maker (I see you are in chicago, Chris Despos is a custom tailor and a member of this forum). They should be able to figure out from your current uniform what elements/colors must be preserved. From there, they can make you a new uniform that looks like the standard uniform but fits better and is of much higher quality.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc

Take your uniform to a bespoke maker (I see you are in chicago, Chris Despos is a custom tailor and a member of this forum). They should be able to figure out from your current uniform what elements/colors must be preserved. From there, they can make you a new uniform that looks like the standard uniform but fits better and is of much higher quality.

this does not seem like a good use of money but w/e

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to wear a uniform to work, when I was in the Australian Defense Force.

The point of a uniform is that everyone should look uniform, though some minimal tailoring of your dress uniform was acceptable. This was back in the days when even our OD green fatigues were expected to be heavily starched and creased just right. The only other customizing I was aware of was a few lazy guys had their brass belt buckles gold plated so they would not require polishing.

Get your uniform tailored to fit properly and leave it at that. Be thankful that you don't need to worry about workwear and can focus on a small high quality casuawear wardrobe.

Unless you want to look like this:

zach-braff-donald-faison-chips-05.jpg

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
this does not seem like a good use of money but w/e

How would a bespoke uniform be any different than the people who buy bespoke suits to wear to work (especially since pilots uniforms are usually suits with some embellishments like epaulets on the shirts and bands on the cuffs).

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd almost be thankful for a uniform. I used to have to wear a pseudo-uniform when I worked for and air-cargo company and I miss those days. You always know what you're wearing to work. It's not a fashion show, it's ******* work. Saves time and mental effort for more important things, like not getting crushed under the airplane, or run over by some idiot on a tug, or getting something caught in a conveyor belt, etc etc.

I sorta wear a uniform, though: jeans, plain polo, chucks.

If I wanted to add some flair to a pilot's uniform, maybe socks?

eightdouble

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc

i have often thought about this, believe it or not. it would be pretty amazing to have one, the problem is that i would be in the bespoke uniform three days a week and for some pretty long hours. i am sure that the uniform would get worn down and shiny-assed in no time. so it's a great idea, but i fear that ultimately it'd be a big and fast waste of money.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads