• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else have consistent problems with Amex?

tgfny

Reaction score
They held up $50k last week over demanding to see a bill of lading of a customer of who has bought over $300k from me on Amex. Today, they ask me to Card a person who I knew from the news (changed, happy,) and I refused. I call customer service, get placed on hold for 15 minutes and then get told to stuff it. They make it really tough to accept Amex.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tgfny
Today, they ask me to Card one of the 10 most powerful men in America, and I refused. I call customer service, get placed on hold for 15 minutes and then get told to stuff it. They make it really tough to accept Amex.

What did "one of the 10 most powerful men in America" do?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with protecting their members?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think Rummy wanted to charge a squadron of F/A-22s onto his AMEX.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
what is this, is this an actual sincere complaint for us to comment on or is this just an excuse to show off?
????? Maybe the Vero Cuoio Consortium got to him too. I love my AMEX. They are good to me.

tgfny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
what is this, is this an actual sincere complaint for us to comment on or is this just an excuse to show off?
Not showing off. Wondering if any others are having problems with Amex merchant services and absolute lack of customer service.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
one of the 10 most powerful men in America
rolleyes.gif

tgfny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I use it for business and have never had a problem.

Not complaining about using the Card, pissed at accepting the card.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not complaining about using the Card, pissed at accepting the card.

My 2 cents: Amex is the best credit card company for the customer. I tend to be suspicious about merchants who do not accept it and generally would rather not buy from them

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is probably an example, then, to show why merchants would rather not deal with Amex. It wouldn't surprise me if they charged a higher % for merchants to accept the card. Apparently there is no incentive for a merchant to accept it - nothing fishy about that, especially if all you have to look forward to is a fat headache.

tgfny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
My 2 cents: Amex is the best credit card company for the customer. I tend to be suspicious about merchants who do not accept it and generally would rather not buy from them
Thanks for the feedback. They keep money 3X as long as MC/Visa, charge twice as much, and have bs hold ups that you never have with MC/Visa. They are a monopoly, and MC/V has many competitive options.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today, they ask me to Card one of the 10 most powerful men in America, and I refused. I call customer service, get placed on hold for 15 minutes and then get told to stuff it. They make it really tough to accept Amex.

So what happened? Did he have to pay cash, or did you lose the business?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads