• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else have a problem with breaking knives?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've dropped my Kershaw Shuns on two occasions, and each time, the tip has broken-off. I can't say this has ever been a problem for me before. Are the alloys they use really that brittle? I love how they cut and how they look, but I'm not so sure i'd re-purchase at this point... My 8" chef's knife is still intact, but the utility and paring knife are now broken. It's not the end of the world, but it's pretty annoying.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Stop dropping knives.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
you need better knife skills. i have never broken a knife. also, 8" chefs knives are for girls. get something at least 10" to get the job done right.

who the heck drops their knives?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
you need better knife skills. i have never broken a knife. also, 8" chefs knives are for girls. get something at least 10" to get the job done right.

who the heck drops their knives?

Heh I didn't drop them while using them. They just got knocked off the counter, in both cases because it was crowded (haven't purchased a work table yet). =/

MrRogers

Reaction score
Are you junking the knives after the tip breaks off?? Just have them reground. They'll be 1/4 in shorter but should be the same as before. More importantly, get a pair of steel toed boots.

To echo the above poster, who the hell drops kitchen knives lol you know that when you realize they are falling you scream and jump like a girl

MrR

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The short explanation: Japanese knives are brittle and not forgiving of careless handling. The long explanation: Japanese western style knives are ground more thinly which makes them sharper but requires carefull handling to avoid damage. Japanese knives are also made from harder steel alloys which retain edge sharpness longer but again require care in use to avoid damage. The mainline Shuns are made from VG-10 steel that is normally hardened to 59-61 RC which is considerably harder than the popular german knives. If you tend to drop you knives a lot, perhaps you need to get a Wusthoff or Messermeister for everyday tasks and save you Shun for special occasions. P.S. Whatever you do, do not get a ceramic knive as they shatter into little pieces when dropped.
smile.gif

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Buy cheaper knives and replace more often. Or cook with food that doesn't need a sharp knife.

I've always bought mid-priced knives and have rarely had a problem. Sometimes potatoes and large onions are tricky, but you can adjust your cutting pattern if the knife starts feeling weak.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
The short explanation: Japanese knives are brittle and not forgiving of careless handling.

The long explanation: Japanese western style knives are ground more thinly which makes them sharper but requires carefull handling to avoid damage. Japanese knives are also made from harder steel alloys which retain edge sharpness longer but again require care in use to avoid damage.

The mainline Shuns are made from VG-10 steel that is normally hardened to 59-61 RC which is considerably harder than the popular german knives.

If you tend to drop you knives a lot, perhaps you need to get a Wusthoff or Messermeister for everyday tasks and save you Shun for special occasions.

P.S. Whatever you do, do not get a ceramic knive as they shatter into little pieces when dropped.
smile.gif

YES! I was going to type that out before I saw your post, Dmax. Ceramic will be the worst possible thing to do... I have not dropped my Wusthof Classic but I doubt it will break easily. I often use it to crush garlic and the thing performs like a champ.

andyw

Reaction score
I haven't broken the tips but I have chipped the edge of my Ken Onion Shun's. As sharp as the blade is, I suspect it is not as durable as the German steel knives. Too bad, really nice balance and great function..but at that price point a shame that it nicks. I've been cooking for over 30 years and never been so disppointed given the hype. I fall back on my trusty Globals.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's because you use sissy knives. Did you break it on your creme brulee pan?

most_def

Reaction score
Um what? I have never heard of anyone breaking knives, at least not by accident. I suggest buying cheaper knives if you have this habit of inadvertence's destroying them.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May I suggest-
glG12.jpg

If you break that, you should not be cooking.

JB

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You SHAME your knife! Japanese ancestors weep from beond the grave!

You must blame only yourself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads