• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else dumping their 26" and 27" suitcases due to stricter airline regulations?

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm going on a 3 week journey out of the country, so I'm PROBABLY not going to be able to pack everything in a carry-on. I had bought a 27" Victorinox a few years ago for a europe trip, and I liked the space. But now, they are restricting luggage internationally on Northwest (and other carriers too!) to 50lbs. Same with the 62"...so basically I can't expand my bag?

So that bag seems to be a wash now. I would rather carry one bag versus 2 smaller check-ins where they would be lost. Now before everyone says that I should carry less or whatever, I am a medium-packer when it comes to packing...i try to travel light. But with a few pairs of shoes, swim trunks, jeans, etc, its not hard before the weight gets up to 50lbs. I took the bag, packed it lightly on a trip I had to go internationally not too long ago, I had to take some of the books that I was brinign to read and pack them in my carry on.

I really wish I had just bought the 24" version of the bag now.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
Well, I'm going on a 3 week journey out of the country, so I'm PROBABLY not going to be able to pack everything in a carry-on. I had bought a 27" Victorinox a few years ago for a europe trip, and I liked the space. But now, they are restricting luggage internationally on Northwest (and other carriers too!) to 50lbs. Same with the 62"...so basically I can't expand my bag?

So that bag seems to be a wash now. I would rather carry one bag versus 2 smaller check-ins where they would be lost. Now before everyone says that I should carry less or whatever, I am a medium-packer when it comes to packing...i try to travel light. But with a few pairs of shoes, swim trunks, jeans, etc, its not hard before the weight gets up to 50lbs. I took the bag, packed it lightly on a trip I had to go internationally not too long ago, I had to take some of the books that I was brinign to read and pack them in my carry on.

I really wish I had just bought the 24" version of the bag now.

What sort of trip? 50lbs is a lot for just clothes. My problem next year will be the two sets of camera gear, laptop, scuba gear, and also the clothes.

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Victorinox luggage is VERY, VERY heavy to begin with. Get something made by Delsey. Or even Ricardo Beverly Hills if you're on a tight budget, which is available at Kohl's department stores.

Maybe the source of the weight is the luggage and not so much what's inside.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joel_954
Victorinox luggage is VERY, VERY heavy to begin with. Get something made by Delsey. Or even Ricardo Beverly Hills if you're on a tight budget, which is available at Kohl's department stores.

Maybe the source of the weight is the luggage and not so much what's inside.

Yeah, I bought it several years ago for aesthetic reasons. It looks nice but it does get heavy for baggage. I like the bag alot...but its really impractical if I need to split my clothes, gifts for people, etc into two bags in light of the newer restrictions.

I will probably get one of those hanging scales for luggage and perhaps I could use it. I prefer taking only bigger bag for check-in vs. 2 of them.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
What sort of trip? 50lbs is a lot for just clothes. My problem next year will be the two sets of camera gear, laptop, scuba gear, and also the clothes.

I usually like to bring books to read and that adds up. I'm going to Asia for 3 weeks. Perhaps I can keep it under 50lbs, but if I do buy stuff abroad, then I'm kind of in a bad spot when I stress about weight restrictions. From what I recall, the total weight adds up pretty fast.

What I might do is bring the suitcase but then also a duffel-type bag in there. If my cargo is overweight, I will just transfer to the second bag and check two in. Not optimal, but these new rules suck overall.

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
Yeah, I bought it several years ago for aesthetic reasons. It looks nice but it does get heavy for baggage. I like the bag alot...but its really impractical if I need to split my clothes, gifts for people, etc into two bags in light of the newer restrictions.

I will probably get one of those hanging scales for luggage and perhaps I could use it. I prefer taking only bigger bag for check-in vs. 2 of them.

Some of the Ricardo bags have a built-in scale.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dumped my older heavier weight Tumi for a lighter weight Tumi wheeled bag. I added a small light weight Tumi carry on. I recently used both for a two week trip to Europe, and carried both bags on board. I was amazed that I could pack 3 pairs of shoes, 2 suits, and a bunch of other stuff without the need to check my bags. The real test was when I had to pack 6 pairs of shoes for the return flight along with additional shirts and a jacket I picked up along the way.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought the rule was you pay a large fee if your luggage is over 50lbs. Did they nix that?

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
I thought the rule was you pay a large fee if your luggage is over 50lbs. Did they nix that?
Still applicable. they just lowered the threshhold I believe I may go for a rolling duffel bag. That might be a good solutino, althogh concerned about cushioning...around the bag

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a rolling duffel bag at costco, a samsonite for $40. This looks pretty nice actually for checking in. I might get it.

Doc4

Reaction score
Is the issue size, or weight?

If it's just a weight issue, why not pack an empty box or two to take up the excess space, and you'll have room for souvenirs for the return flight.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doc4
Is the issue size, or weight?

If it's just a weight issue, why not pack an empty box or two to take up the excess space, and you'll have room for souvenirs for the return flight.

probably just weight. What I've decided is to throw a duffel bag in the suit case and if it goes overweight, I can check in two bags.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads