Anyone ditching Facebook over Timeline?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Connemara, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Hm, there was a three month period where I couldn't access facebook. I survived fine without it, it's just too convenient.

2. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Yeah I am considering doing this. I think my friends list is around 550, which is too much.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012

3. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I went on it once in a month..

4. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Funny, I think all these changes by facebook will make people reconsider how they use it. People will be a lot more careful about the pictures and posts they put up - which is smart but it will take away alot of the casualness of the website. Ah well, I figured that out after graduating.

5. hobo style

hobo style Well-Known Member

I asked my wife what she thought of timeline and her comment was that it seems to be designed to make it easy for old people or non-prolific posters to keep track of their history. The moms are invading, which makes me wonder how long Facebook is going to last. If I was a teenager and my mom joined Facebook I would get the f*ck out of there faster than you could say "let's do some hot knives this Saturday." The kids will find something else, and once Facebook loses the younger generation they are done for. IMHO.

6. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Isn't there a privacy option to hide "older posts" in the timeline?

7. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

https://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=delete_account

i fail to not log in every time i try tho .... i just wanna know ! but since they won't let me change my name (for 10th time or something) I might have to start over ......

8. otc

otc Senior member

The only thing I can't get used to with the timeline is how stuff is split to the left and right of the line...Since the TOP part of the right side is fixed with friends/photos/whatever and doesn't have any posts, I end up just reading the left side which means I only see half of the updates.

I think this is key. Those posts were all there...but the only way for "normal" people to get to them was to spend an hour on your profile clicking "show more posts". Now they all show up on the timeline.

There was a privacy option to tighten up restrictions on old content...since anything I posted in 2005 was 100% visibile to my networks which at the time consisted only of my school. Now that my networks include anyone in Chicago or anyone who ever says they went to my school (since it no longer requires the .edu email), it was nice to have the quick 1-click option to lock all of those down to friends or friends-of-friends.
    I don't think there was an option to specifically delete a time range though

9. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

is timeline required ? i don't have one

10. Gambino

Gambino Member

there's rumors fb will force everyone to timeline, within the next week or two..

11. gort

gort Senior member

a year ago I made a fresh account and re-added the people I really was actual friends with. No embarrassing past for me.:nodding:

12. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I'll stick it out with Timeline. I draw the line at Facebook charging money for having an account. That's not such a far-fetched possibility with Facebook going public.

13. hobo style

hobo style Well-Known Member

If Facebook gave the option of paying a reasonable fee to get rid of advertising and enable good privacy controls I might actually be convinced to join.

14. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Why would they do that when the real money is mining your data? I guess they could mine your data and charge you just so you don't get the ads on the right side of the screen.

15. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Or you could download Adblock for you browser and get rid of them that way. :teach: