Anyone care to explain your Avatar? / Bigger version of your Avatar

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Tck13, Mar 13, 2006.

1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

john fahey's essay on his experience working on the soundtrack for Zabriskie Point is hilarious [i think it is found in the book "vampire vultures"]; worth seeking out
    Too bad he can't play a lick, isn't it? [​IMG]

2. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Mine is a photo of the infamous Free Derry Corner sign. After the Battle of the Bogside in 1969 (when the RUC tried to force republican protesters off the streets so an Orange Order hate march could proceed), a portion of Derry was essentially sealed off by the IRA and was declared autonomous. Lasted a couple years, and was considered a "no go" zone through the early 90's.

The sign is something of a national landmark in the North of Ireland.

3. metkirk

metkirk Senior member

Mine's an old picture of my home town Hanoi. Below's the bigger version. The sign that says XE MAY means scooter; it's a shop that fixes scooter and stuff. I don't know the exact time the photo was taken but my guess is that it's probably in the 80's. [​IMG]

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Mine's an old picture of my home town Hanoi. Below's the bigger version. The sign that says XE MAY means scooter; it's a shop that fixes scooter and stuff. I don't know the exact time the photo was taken but my guess is that it's probably in the 80's.

[​IMG]

Are those old French mansions?

5. metkirk

metkirk Senior member

Yes they are [​IMG] We don't have a lot of them left though which is a pretty sad thing since they are such classic [​IMG]

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Yes they are [​IMG] We don't have a lot of them left though which is a pretty sad thing since they are such classic [​IMG]
    Yes, this is a shame and which is why, in certain cases, a country should not open up, as Cuba.

I suspect if Cuba becomes a global nation their architectual heritage will be demolished by ugly chain hotels and company headquarters.

Shanghai has this problem as well, with many of its French mansions being torn down.

[​IMG]

7. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Mine used to be a helmet from a suit of armour - this one's off the cover of a Timothy Leary biography.

8. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Yes, this is a shame and which is why, in certain cases, a country should not open up, as Cuba.

I suspect if Cuba becomes a global nation their architectual heritage will be demolished by ugly chain hotels and company headquarters.

Oh trust me, time and zero finances are doing a better job of that then any hotel chain could. I submit exhibit A:
    [​IMG]

Most buildings along the malecon look like they could be knocked down by a swift breeze. The residential part of Habana Vieja is in the same condition, if not worse, and makes up a far chunk of the city. Further inland and the buildings are much better off although not great. The government has in recent years been trying to resort the waterfront back to its former glory but clearly it is quite time/money consuming.

Ideally Old Havana and the Havana waterfront would be restored to its former glory, but having actually seen the conditions of the buildings personally, I can't imagine it being fiscally reasonable to restore all these buildings including several hotel towers from the 40s/50s that have been condemned. Do you only use superficial patchwork to preserve the history of said buildings or do you place more concern in the overall structural sustainability? For the sake of the people who still live in these things (rather cramped I might add as housing is a serious problem in the city), I would hope the latter. Again, I only use Havana as an example because other towns/cities are not in such a drastic state of disrepair.

9. romafan

romafan Senior member

This one's just because I used to think Mojo & Skid were extremely cool, in an idiotic sort of way.
    Factoid: I used to have a beer bottle with their autographs (Sierra Nevada, I believe, although it could have been Anchor Steam).

Debbie Gibson's Pregnant w/ My Two-Headed Love Child! [​IMG]

10. Matt

Matt [email protected]

Mine's an old picture of my home town Hanoi. Below's the bigger version. The sign that says XE MAY means scooter; it's a shop that fixes scooter and stuff. I don't know the exact time the photo was taken but my guess is that it's probably in the 80's.
    ahh Ha Loi doesnt look that different now

hai lua qua

11. metkirk

metkirk Senior member

ahh Ha Loi doesnt look that different now

hai lua qua

Ha Loi??? That reminds me of the news. Did you read the news about a girl from HCMC who went to Hanoi and wrote a blog ridiculing people of the city and such. Within half an hour of posting the blog gets over 8000 comments, some including death threats... talking about patriotism here !!! [​IMG]

12. Matt

Matt [email protected]

yeah, she has pulled it down now. All went a little nuts over her. She wasnt really ridiculing the place, basically she went there on vacation and posted on her blog what a miserable time she had.

Bad customer service high on her shitlist, as was general northerner condescending attitudes toward Southerners.

I can definitely agree with her on the service thing, Hanoi service is horrible, and I say that knowing it takes a reeeal lot to make Saigon service look good.

FWIW, I got kicked out of a tailor shop in Hanoi for asking to see a suit in the cabinet cos I wanted to see if it was fused or canvassed - she actually threw me out of the store for asking!

13. metkirk

metkirk Senior member

yeah, she has pulled it down now. All went a little nuts over her. She wasnt really ridiculing the place, basically she went there on vacation and posted on her blog what a miserable time she had.

Bad customer service high on her shitlist, as was general northerner condescending attitudes toward Southerners.

I can definitely agree with her on the service thing, Hanoi service is horrible, and I say that knowing it takes a reeeal lot to make Saigon service look good.

FWIW, I got kicked out of a tailor shop in Hanoi for asking to see a suit in the cabinet cos I wanted to see if it was fused or canvassed - she actually threw me out of the store for asking!

Nice to hear a foreign opinion on this matter. The thing is the blog was written in a degrading tone that is very hard to grasp if it's not your native language (I'm assumming you read a translation not the original version). Aside from that, I completely agree with you that the service sucks in Hanoi. If there's one thing that I can complain it is the service that I'll be bitching about all day.

14. Matt

Matt [email protected]

I think calling the post 'Fucking Ha Loi' makes its tone pretty clear to even the vaguest of us [​IMG]

15. metkirk

metkirk Senior member

I think calling the post 'Fucking Ha Loi' makes its tone pretty clear to even the vaguest of us [​IMG]

Haha, I forgot about that. Clear indeed [​IMG] By the way, what tailor shop did you get thrown out of? They understand English or you had a translator?