• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone been to Tibet?

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Looks like I'm going, in June 2008. Going with a buddy who works part-time in Shanghai. Probably spend a few days in Shanghai and then we'll head out to Tibet.

I've never been to Tibet (or China for that matter). Of the countries in that part of the world, I've been to India, Taiwan and Japan.

I've read there's some great hiking there. I'm an experienced hiker/camper so I don't think I'll have any trouble with the typical touristy hikes. I'm not planning on tackling anything that requires an ice axe or crampons to climb.
laugh.gif
With the laws over there I'm leaving my firearms, knives, Surefire flashlights and all other tactical gear at home. Strictly non-offensive load-out.

My buddy speaks Mandarin fluently and he also can read/write the language. So at least I've got somebody who can interpret for me.

Any advice for a China/Tibet newbie? I'm sure I'll stick out like the typical American tourist but to the extent I can be the "gray man" I'll try.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Just got back from Tibet. FYI, sexual Dalai Lama jokes don't translate well over there
shog[1].gif
and the monks don't know any Kung Fu
plain.gif

Does sex translate well with the monks? I figure you would've at least made a pass at some of them.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Just got back from Tibet. FYI, sexual Dalai Lama jokes don't translate well over there
shog[1].gif
and the monks don't know any Kung Fu
plain.gif

edit: sorry, it's late and I am bored. Hope you get some serious answers
smile.gif

This post was just awful. Awful.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I found myself in a Chris Rock as the Oscars situation. A lot of jokes could have been made, but I tried to play it safe and bombed
frown.gif
Don't know how to work clean.

It can't all be gold

That's not the ed I know.
frown.gif
Hopefully it'll be like your E.D.: a quick slump. Ace, my cousin just got back from Tibet a month ago. I'll see what his advice is.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've always wanted to go to Tibet, but then found out they have a NuSkin franchise there. I don't want to go there as much now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads