• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Anyone been to the Outer Hebrides (Lewis, Harris)? Harris Tweed sources?

M. Charles

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2007
Messages
610
Reaction score
2
Has anyone visited the Outer Hebrides (Lewis, Harris)? Is it possible to buy Harris Tweed cloth directly from smaller mills or individuals post-Haggis? Any other info would be helpful.
 

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2009
Messages
1,200
Reaction score
5
'Haggas'; I wouldn't travel there and get that wrong if I was you...
 

M. Charles

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2007
Messages
610
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by Kentishman
'Haggas'; I wouldn't travel there and get that wrong if I was you...

well, as haggis is defined as "a dish consisting of sheep's of calf's offal mixed with suet and boiled in a bag, traditionally one made from the animal's stomach," I should think there is no distinction between haggis the food and Haggas the bastard.
 

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2009
Messages
1,200
Reaction score
5
^ That's the main corporation though, isn't it? OP wanted to buy from the smaller, independent mills that are often small, family run operations.
 

fox81

Senior Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
934
Reaction score
39
Originally Posted by Kentishman
^ That's the main corporation though, isn't it? OP wanted to buy from the smaller, independent mills that are often small, family run operations.

no, this is the body that certify a mill as making harris tweed. they list the 3 mills making harris tweed. one being haggas.
only those certified by that harristweed.org can carry the harris tweed orb/globe

no doubt they will know of other mills that dont strictly make harris tweed.
 

MacDaddy

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2010
Messages
165
Reaction score
1
My family moved to the Isle of Barra about 1000 years ago,in 1049,and I have hundreds of relatives still living there,but most of them speak only Gaelic.I had a cousin visit several times and he brought fabric with him each time,but I haven't seen him since 1972.I had another cousin come over in 1984 and I kept in touch with him via snail mail until sometime in the 1990's.He did mention that relatives have been hand weaving for hundreds of years,unfortunately I wasn't very interested at the time.I'll see what I can find out,I've actually been wondering about it myself.
 

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2009
Messages
1,200
Reaction score
5
Originally Posted by fox81
no, this is the body that certify a mill as making harris tweed. they list the 3 mills making harris tweed. one being haggas.
only those certified by that harristweed.org can carry the harris tweed orb/globe

no doubt they will know of other mills that dont strictly make harris tweed.


Ah, I see - I understand now!
 

M. Charles

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2007
Messages
610
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by MacDaddy
My family moved to the Isle of Barra about 1000 years ago,in 1049,and I have hundreds of relatives still living there,but most of them speak only Gaelic.I had a cousin visit several times and he brought fabric with him each time,but I haven't seen him since 1972.I had another cousin come over in 1984 and I kept in touch with him via snail mail until sometime in the 1990's.He did mention that relatives have been hand weaving for hundreds of years,unfortunately I wasn't very interested at the time.I'll see what I can find out,I've actually been wondering about it myself.

Very interesting. I'd appreciate any info you can find out from them.
 

Eustace Tilley

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2007
Messages
6,452
Reaction score
313
Originally Posted by academe
I haven't been to Lewis personally but have ordered Lewis and Harris tweeds from an artisanal weaver on Lewis:

http://www.buttoflewistextiles.co.uk/

Nice stuff!


+10 for Callum from BOL Textiles. His BOL tweed is pretty nice as well. A couple of pics of the Harris:



 

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2008
Messages
3,865
Reaction score
151
Originally Posted by academe
I haven't been to Lewis personally but have ordered Lewis and Harris tweeds from an artisanal weaver on Lewis:

http://www.buttoflewistextiles.co.uk/

Nice stuff!


Are the prices listed there typical for that kind of cloth? Seems like they're almost giving the stuff away, especially given the supposed artisanal nature of Harris Tweed.
 

Eustace Tilley

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2007
Messages
6,452
Reaction score
313
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
Are the prices listed there typical for that kind of cloth? Seems like they're almost giving the stuff away, especially given the supposed artisanal nature of Harris Tweed.


BOL is certainly cheaper than most other sources, but you are buying direct from a one-man operation. And Harris has never been an expensive cloth to begin with.

Also, keep in mind its single-width stuff. So you need 5m for a sportcoat.

The quality is excellent.
 

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2008
Messages
3,865
Reaction score
151
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
BOL is certainly cheaper than most other sources, but you are buying direct from a one-man operation. And Harris has never been an expensive cloth to begin with.

Also, keep in mind its single-width stuff. So you need 5m for a sportcoat.

The quality is excellent.


Are all Harris Tweeds the same (single) width and of similar quality? If so, then there is a considerable price difference with Hardy Harris Tweed.
 

Eustace Tilley

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2007
Messages
6,452
Reaction score
313
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
Are all Harris Tweeds the same (single) width and of similar quality? If so, then there is a considerable price difference with Hardy Harris Tweed.

I doubt if they're all of the same quality, but I can attest to the quality of the BOL goods. I do believe all Harris Tweeds are single widths, but Minnis' price is effectively for 2m of the single width (I think, but am unsure, that when you order 1m from them, they send you 2m of the 78cm width tweed - that's the way Harrisons does it).

Damn, overate again tonight - feel unwell
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

  • 7”

    Votes: 85 17.5%
  • 7.5”

    Votes: 155 31.9%
  • 8”

    Votes: 141 29.0%
  • 8.5”

    Votes: 55 11.3%
  • 9”

    Votes: 25 5.1%
  • 9.5”

    Votes: 11 2.3%
  • 10”

    Votes: 5 1.0%
  • 10.5”

    Votes: 9 1.9%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
433,728
Messages
9,316,120
Members
195,486
Latest member
oljghdvj
Top