• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Anyone a fan of telescopic pointers for presentations?

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
5,713
Reaction score
445


I have probably owned near 10-15 of these in my childhood because my dad would bring them back from business trips. Of course, they were taken from me the following weekday after I would take them to school and assault my classmates.

I don't like laser pointers. I think the bright red is hard on the eyes, and people have trouble keeping the pointer still. Even worse, there seems to be little interaction between the presenter and the visual aid with a laser, so it usually contributes to a poor presence of the presenter; especially these days when everyone is so obsessed with Power Point. I think I'll go to Office Max this morning and see if they still sell them. I want one in steel, and one in brass.
 

dusty

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2005
Messages
4,859
Reaction score
20
Yeah I like the metal ones a lot better. Your nervousness is less exaggerated. Plus there's that extremely satisfying *thwap*.
 

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
1,125
Reaction score
2
my teacher uses an antenna. he also uses a microphone.
edit: post 666!!!! a momentous occasion. i'm never posting again!! :p
 

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2006
Messages
7,194
Reaction score
439
Originally Posted by shellshock
i'm never posting again!! :p
Nooooooooo!
 

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
5,713
Reaction score
445
There were none at Office Max. I think I'll have to order online.
 

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Jun 9, 2005
Messages
39,946
Reaction score
28,583
That's completely useless. The laser ones too. If the audience cannot focus on the visual aid without the presenter drawing little circles around it, then there's something terribly wrong with the slides
 

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
5,713
Reaction score
445
True in most cases, but I had to do a presentation about a restaurant floor plan and make several locational references.
 

Zandros

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2008
Messages
113
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by gdl203
That's completely useless. The laser ones too. If the audience cannot focus on the visual aid without the presenter drawing little circles around it, then there's something terribly wrong with the slides
On the other hand, it's much less work using a laser pointer than it is to incorporate funny bouncing circles and moving letters in your presentation. Although the standard red colour of laser pointers is an unfortunate choice. /Adrian
 

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Jun 9, 2005
Messages
39,946
Reaction score
28,583
Originally Posted by Zandros
On the other hand, it's much less work using a laser pointer than it is to incorporate funny bouncing circles and moving letters in your presentation. Although the standard red colour of laser pointers is an unfortunate choice.
People do that? It's not 1987...

I meant that each slide should convey an idea and maybe one chart to support it. A proper slideshow doesn't need any animation or laser pointers. Granted, I'm really discussing more business-oriented slideshows here - I recognize that ther are other applications that may require to point to parts of a slide, as Reggs discussed above.
 

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Jul 25, 2006
Messages
29,128
Reaction score
1,318
Originally Posted by gdl203
I meant that each slide should convey an idea and maybe one chart to support it. A proper slideshow doesn't need any animation or laser pointers. Granted, I'm really discussing more business-oriented slideshows here - I recognize that ther are other applications that may require to point to parts of a slide, as Reggs discussed above.

That's what I was thinking as well. However, instead of pointing to a point of emphasis, perhaps you could magnify it in one slide and have following slides magnify other points of interest?
 

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Jul 25, 2006
Messages
29,128
Reaction score
1,318
Originally Posted by shellshock
my teacher uses an antenna. he also uses a microphone.



edit: post 666!!!! a momentous occasion. i'm never posting again!! :p


If anyone ever lets me teach, I'm using a bullhorn!
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 143 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.5%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.9%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 53 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,209
Messages
9,230,330
Members
193,757
Latest member
onsight
Top