1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Anybody watch the WH Correspondent's Dinner?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hopkins_student, May 2, 2005.

1. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Distinguished Member

.DJ's in your life? GWB was the only person I saw with a peak lapel DJ.

2. Mike C.

Mike C. Distinguished Member

And..... What is with you guys and notch lapel tuxes?

3. aybojs

aybojs Senior Member

I think it's a function of limited availability. Considering that most guys shop at Men's Wearhouse-type places or rent tuxedos and that 90-95% of their selection consists of notch lapels, it really is very hard to find a decent peak (and to a lesser extent, shawl) lapelled tuxedo at a reasonable price without a lot of time and effort (for the average man, so think a few hundred $ retail).

Whether that's a result of an overwhelming market demand for the notch lapel or a result of mass market stores passing cost-cutting measures to the consumer to avoid having to cut seperate lapel designs for tuxedos, I'm not sure.

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

And cheap dress sets I would gather.

With "patent" leather footwear.

5. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

I think it may just be the members of this forum that take issue with notch-lapel tuxedos. As much as some here may dislike it, it is clear that the notch lapel dinner jacket is acceptable at even the highest levels of our society.

I actually don't see what the big deal is.

6. ATM

ATM Senior Member

I wonder if any had cuffs.

7. Mike C.

Mike C. Distinguished Member

Exactly. Just because Flusser doesn't approve of it, doesn't mean it unacceptable. It's too ubiquitous these days.

Even though I prefer the peaked lapel model, I think a notch lapel version is ok.

The guys who are opposed to a notch lapel DJ, are the same guys who were all up in arms when someone cut the tails off a DJ years ago.

8. Tyto

Tyto Senior Member

I'm not sure about that, though I can understand your point.

I don't get really exercised over these sorts of things, but for me, the notch lapel ruins the effect of a separation from everyday business dress: in effect, it transforms the dinner jacket into a black suit with silk facings, and some of those DJs lack even proper facings.

I understand that black tie will go the way of full evening dress in America (and likely rather soon), but I still like the idea of special preparation and presentation for special events, and these events are few enough and far enough between for me that I don't mind the extra attention to detail.

9. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Actually, a tailcoat minus the tails is not the ancestor of the DJ; the smoking jacket is. Â The tail-less tailcoat is called a "mess jacket." It is standard full dress formal wear in some military services. Â It had a very brief civilian vouge in the mid-1930s, and then crashed and burned never to be seen again. Â And, yes, had I been alive then, I would have opposed it just as vigorously as I now oppose the notch DJ. Â [​IMG]