• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anybody remember getting glasses?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
how old is the son?
six. i'm sure he'll ride out any headaches or so on, I am just not sure he will tell us if he isn't feeling well, and I was sort of scared that he might have balance issues or something with new glasses - I just have no experience with this

Originally Posted by rxcats
Does your son have astigmatism? I started wearing glasses when I was in my mid-teens for astigmatism. Immediately everything appeared crystal clear, but somewhat distorted. If I looked at a flat table/desk or even a sink full of water, it would appear warped or slanted. My mom contacted the ophthalmologist right away who explained that this was normal and expected with the prism-type lenses used to correct astigmatism. He advised that this illusion would disappear after a few days of wearing the glasses; he was correct. Still, anytime I get a stronger prescription, it reoccurs for a few days. To a lesser extent, the warped appearance occurs when switching from glasses to contact lenses or to high index lenses.

yes, that is what it is - but when my wife told me I thought it was "a stigmatism".

we were sort of surpised that we didn't notice, and felt pretty bad about it. he has a distortion of "3" if that means anything.

rxcats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
six. i'm sure he'll ride out any headaches or so on, I am just not sure he will tell us if he isn't feeling well, and I was sort of scared that he might have balance issues or something with new glasses - I just have no experience with this

yes, that is what it is - but when my wife told me I thought it was "a stigmatism".

we were sort of surpised that we didn't notice, and felt pretty bad about it. he has a distortion of "3" if that means anything.

The "3" is probably the middle number on his glasses prescription and refers to the diopters of correction for the astigmatism. 3 is a pretty strong astigmatism; he needs to wear his corrective lenses. Corrective lens prescriptions are typically written as three different numbers for each eye. For example, 0.75, 3.00 x 113 (OD or right eye) and 1.50, 3.75 x 81 (OS or left eye) is my current prescription. The first number refers to spherical correction in diopters (near or far sightedness), the second number, as I said, is the degree of astigmatism; this usually represents a misshapen cornea which causes vision to be distorted regardless of how close or far away it is, the third number refers to the axis or degrees which light needs to bend to focus correctly (prism-effect). Sometimes there is a fourth number which refers to presbyopia correction (bifocals for reading/close up work); it will be a while before your son needs that, but I am sure I will be needing it pretty soon.

Most of the time astigmatism can be corrected with either glasses or contact lenses. Don't believe anyone that tells you an astigmatism of 3 can't be corrected with soft contacts. I currently wear Durasoft Optifit Toric 3 by Wesley Jessen and have 20/15 in one eye and 20/20 in the other. They take virtually no time to adjust to (except for the "warped" effect). This might be an option to consider for your son if he plays sports; glasses can be a pain. The prescription will be slightly different for contact lenses as they sit on the cornea and closer to the natural lens of the eye.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rxcats
The "3" is probably the middle number on his glasses prescription and refers to the diopters of correction for the astigmatism. 3 is a pretty strong astigmatism; he needs to wear his corrective lenses. Corrective lens prescriptions are typically written as three different numbers for each eye. For example, 0.75, 3.00 x 113 (OD or right eye) and 1.50, 3.75 x 81 (OS or left eye) is my current prescription. The first number refers to spherical correction in diopters (near or far sightedness), the second number, as I said, is the degree of astigmatism; this usually represents a misshapen cornea which causes vision to be distorted regardless of how close or far away it is, the third number refers to the axis or degrees which light needs to bend to focus correctly (prism-effect). Sometimes there is a fourth number which refers to presbyopia correction (bifocals for reading/close up work); it will be a while before your son needs that, but I am sure I will be needing it pretty soon.

Most of the time astigmatism can be corrected with either glasses or contact lenses. Don't believe anyone that tells you an astigmatism of 3 can't be corrected with soft contacts. I currently wear Durasoft Optifit Toric 3 by Wesley Jessen and have 20/15 in one eye and 20/20 in the other. They take virtually no time to adjust to (except for the "warped" effect). This might be an option to consider for your son if he plays sports; glasses can be a pain. The prescription will be slightly different for contact lenses as they sit on the cornea and closer to the natural lens of the eye.

thanks

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I first got them I only wore them to see the blackboard and that was in the 7th grade but gradually I had to wear them every minute of every day.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was 5 when I first started wearing them. I'm not sure if I had to wear them all the time when I first got them (I probably did), but I was told to just wear them when I had to read at first to get the hang of them. I just put them on and didn't bother taking them off because it was easier one day. I think I kept leave them behind or something.

Ask your son's doctor if a gradual wear plan, like one hour the first day, 2 the second, etc... , or something like that, would be better. As was said, glasses don't hurt your eyes and the headaches/loss of balance/depth perception adjustment isn't that bad and is only for a day or two. Kids adapt fast anyway.

Your bigger issue is your son's resistance to wearing them, leaving them behind, and losing them. Maybe even on purpose. I'd bribe him through the beginning of the process with little thing. My parents for health freaks, so trips to McDonalds and Nintendo games worked on me.

Oh, and splurge on the slim, cooler, unbreakable glasses.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads