• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anybody not particularly like black shoes

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe
I dislike brown shoes. What now?

*except Lobb museum calf

Go to FNB.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black shoes? quelle horreur

UlastOldEmedallionBlackVass042.jpg

Oleg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Do not get this at all. There is no more classic combination.

Quite. Black is always appropriate.
Brown and variants are more 'du jour' and I can understand that. But it doesn't mean they're always right.

Reaction score
Perhaps it's just the enthusiasm of the neophyte, but I'm quite fond of black, brown, and oxblood; each has its place.

I will say that a couple of the pairs that patrick posted are absolutely wonderful. In particular, the last pair in the bottom row stood out to me. Is that black and burgundy? Love them.
satisfied.gif

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
Blue suit with black shoes can have a bit of an airforce uniform vibe... I think it looks good, though on other days I pair a blue suit with brown shoes of various shades.

Also have to disagree with a previous poster about cheap black shoes looking good - cheap black shoes (and even corrected grain on well-known brands) usually looks indistinguishable from plastic. I think good black really showcases quality (or the lack of it) because it is apparently so hard to give depth and patina to black leather.

I just realized why I don't like navy suits with black shoes--my five years spent in the Air Force.

I wish I could have worn brown...

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
I just realized why I don't like navy suits with black shoes--my five years spent in the Air Force.

I wish I could have worn brown...

Then shouldn't you have joined the Army, instead?

Tez Mulan

Reaction score
This post is particularly relevant to the topic too, thoughts on black vs brown and whatever happened to burgundy.[/quote]

thanks for the link. I was recently quite perturbed to hear from bootsonline that they are no longer supplying RM Williams in red

aphextwin07

Reaction score
"black shoes should only be worn to a funeral"

quote by someone i can't remember, sums up my thoughts on the topic perfectly.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Digmenow
Then shouldn't you have joined the Army, instead?

All service dress uniforms wear black shoes.

Icehawk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aphextwin07
"black shoes should only be worn to a funeral"

quote by someone i can't remember, sums up my thoughts on the topic perfectly.

And black suits too, right?
facepalm.gif

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black is alright. Just another color to me. Unfortunately the local climate doens't lend to its wearing very often. Most of my pants are light in color.

No idea why the disdain for black shoes on SF though. If your pants are mostly navy and black, then you are good to go.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX
Black is alright. Just another color to me. Unfortunately the local climate doens't lend to its wearing very often. Most of my pants are light in color.

No idea why the disdain for black shoes on SF though. If your pants are mostly navy and black, then you are good to go.

I would guess most people here don't wear black pants. Charcoal/gray would be more widely used.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
I would guess most people here don't wear black pants. Charcoal/gray would be more widely used.
Plain black wool trousers tend to look quite bad, especially during the day, but I have to admit that I occasionally wear some black trousers which are made from a sort of velvet cord fabric; because of the fabric they have much more depth and interest and don't look too bad. I wear black shoes often though, either with the aforementioned black trousers or with a navy suit; there is nothing inherently wrong with black shoes.

Icehawk

Reaction score
No love for these? Bought them yesterday
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics