• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anybody need an apprentice?

jejbird

Reaction score
I want to learn how to become a tailor/cutter. Does anyone teach handcraft tailoring anymore? Does anyone want to pass on their knowledge of the trade? Time is not an issue because the passion is there. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fly to Naples. Ask if you can labor for free. It's an offer they can't refuse.

Originally Posted by jejbird
I want to learn how to become a tailor/cutter. Does anyone teach handcraft tailoring anymore? Does anyone want to pass on their knowledge of the trade? Time is not an issue because the passion is there. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kiton has a school (pdf) you might try with them

jejbird

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I live in America, so I might have visa issues. I'll try to get in contact with the company

bryce330

Reaction score
Yes.

donaldmain_060920015706167_wideweb__300x451.jpg

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
where do you live.
do you speak any second languages?
How old are you.
There are several universities that offer fashion design degrees. within the programs there are patern making classes.

Feel free to send me a PM.
Carl

JamesT

Reaction score
You can always do what I did. Find a local tailor and bother them until they hire you.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesT
You can always do what I did. Find a local tailor and bother them until they hire you.

Any pictures of your work?

JamesT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty

At the moment, no.

I haven't been apprenticing for too long so most of what I do is cutting, alterations, and finishing. There are a few members here who own a few garments I have worked on though.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
I have not seen James' own work, but have seen James work at Chris' shop. They seem to have a good thing going, and anybody looking to get into the field could do much worse. I can't speak for James, but I would imagine that one of the keys to being a good apprentice is to be willing to work without ego and to be willing to take on any task available, no matter how stupid it might seem. Speaking of, perhaps you could get to work on Chris' burr grinder.

JamesT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I have not seen James' own work, but have seen James work at Chris' shop. They seem to have a good thing going, and anybody looking to get into the field could do much worse. I can't speak for James, but I would imagine that one of the keys to being a good apprentice is to be willing to work without ego and to be willing to take on any task available, no matter how stupid it might seem.

Speaking of, perhaps you could get to work on Chris' burr grinder.

+1. You have to be willing to do the mundane work before you get to the fun stuff. Things like hemming trousers and sewing buttons seem inane after a while but they develop the skills needed for the other steps down the line. When I first started, I did nothing but update and price swatch books for the first few weeks.

I was very lucky to find Chris. He is a fantastic boss and a great guy. It seems as though a lot of tailors are more than a little suspicious of anyone entering the craft and keep what they do as a closely guarded secret. However, if you are honest about learning, there are people out there who appreciate it and will be willing to help you get started.

Regarding the grinder, I just bought him some coffee beans for it which will hopefully motivate him to figure out how to use the thing - he has still yet to open it as he is afraid he might do something wrong and ruin it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads