• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anybody here certified in Google Analytics?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
What is Google Analytics?
It's an analytical tool used for site traffic and SEO. I've used it for years to analyze site patterns etc.

reactmma

Reaction score
didnt know you could get certified in it? from where?

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been about a year since I took it so I don't remember specifics, but it's not difficult. Even if you have no GA experience, watch these videos and you'll be good to go:

http://www.google.com/support/conver...dexSplash&rd=1

The test is timed, but you have something like 4 days to complete it, so you don't have to do it all at once (i.e., you can run through the questions, answer what you know, then exit the test and look up the answers you didn't know).

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Been about a year since I took it so I don't remember specifics, but it's not difficult. Even if you have no GA experience, watch these videos and you'll be good to go:

http://www.google.com/support/conver...dexSplash&rd=1

The test is timed, but you have something like 4 days to complete it, so you don't have to do it all at once (i.e., you can run through the questions, answer what you know, then exit the test and look up the answers you didn't know).

My kind of test!
lol8[1].gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Been about a year since I took it so I don't remember specifics, but it's not difficult. Even if you have no GA experience, watch these videos and you'll be good to go: http://www.google.com/support/conver...dexSplash&rd=1 The test is timed, but you have something like 4 days to complete it, so you don't have to do it all at once (i.e., you can run through the questions, answer what you know, then exit the test and look up the answers you didn't know).
So pretty damn easy then? Not that I don't want to learn, but I hate exams... I always enjoyed really hard projects or presentations than exams. Any tips you can provide would be much appreciated.
smile.gif

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by dcg
Been about a year since I took it so I don't remember specifics, but it's not difficult. Even if you have no GA experience, watch these videos and you'll be good to go:http://www.google.com/support/conver...dexSplash&rd=1The test is timed, but you have something like 4 days to complete it, so you don't have to do it all at once (i.e., you can run through the questions, answer what you know, then exit the test and look up the answers you didn't know).
So pretty damn easy then? Not that I don't want to learn, but I hate exams... I always enjoyed really hard projects or presentations than exams.Any tips you can provide would be much appreciated.
smile.gif
Hmmm....tips beyond watching the vids that provide all the information they're testing on, and pausing the test to look up answers you don't know? :) It's really not that bad....if we were talking about the Omniture exams, that would be a different story....

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I started down this path a while back before realizing it wasn't something I wanted to get into. If I remember correctly there are like 3 to 4 tests you need to take to be certified by Google and each are around $50 a piece. This certification looks good on your resume and is something you should get if you are interested in the field. There is plenty of free study material online and I would exhaust it before buying any text books.

It's a rapidly evolving industry that's in demand. If you are good you can find work even in a slow economy. I know the last marketing/ad firm I worked for was in the process of hiring a guy for this even as they had to do some massive company lay-offs (around 30% was let go).

Shoot me a PM and maybe I can help a little. I have some contacts that work in this field and have been successful.

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't know they offered this. But honestly do you really need the certification? You can always say you are good in it and do a quick show for whoever is asking.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having taken it myself, I wouldn't put much stock in someone who's certified. As stated above, anyone should be able to pass the Individual Qualification with about half a day of research. Becoming a certified partner is substantially more rigorous (involves case studies for several past implementations, phone interview with Google, etc.)

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about it as I'm in my last year of an Advertising degree. Still undecided frankly.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I didn't know they offered this. But honestly do you really need the certification? You can always say you are good in it and do a quick show for whoever is asking.

Having taken it myself, I wouldn't put much stock in someone who's certified. As stated above, anyone should be able to pass the Individual Qualification with about half a day of research. Becoming a certified partner is substantially more rigorous (involves case studies for several past implementations, phone interview with Google, etc.)

I know it's an easy thing to get, but that's the point. If I was hiring a jr. to mid level person and I noticed they didn't have it, it might raise a red flag. It's a no-brainer in my opinion and worth the small time and cash investment.

Remember OP indicated he is in school. If this is the case then he won't have a lot of other things on his resume to show his worth in this area. Every little bit helps.

I have been thinking about it as I'm in my last year of an Advertising degree. Still undecided frankly.

If you are even remotely interested in working in it I would give it a shot. It's one of the few areas of marketing that's growing in the economy and your chances of getting a job out of school would be more substantial. I'm not saying you have to end up choosing to work in it, but I would try it out and see if it sticks.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know it's an easy thing to get, but that's the point. If I was hiring a jr. to mid level person and I noticed they didn't have it, it might raise a red flag. It's a no-brainer in my opinion and worth the small time and cash investment.

Remember OP indicated he is in school. If this is the case then he won't have a lot of other things on his resume to show his worth in this area. Every little bit helps.

I'm in school as well but does it honestly make your resume "better"? I first used analytics working at a startup in high school and it seems like its normally intern level work. I would think knowledge of Google Analytics is required versus an extra asset. I think it's like joining all those honor societies. Sure it's something to put on your resume and it only costs $50 or so, but is it really worth it if everyone has something similar?

Something that takes a little more practice such as actually being able to use photoshop (not adding colors, simple crops etc.) would be much more valuable in terms of advertising work.

I'm a finance major so maybe I'm coming from a different perspective but I've done two marketing internships as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads