• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anybody had laser hair removal done?

Aiwass

Reaction score
the title is self explanitory, does it really work or what?

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aiwass

Simple answer is 'it depends'
mostly on your skin type and hair type, works best on those with dark hairs and light skin. Needs to be done a few times as your hair follicles grows in active-rest-hibernation cycles and laser only affects active hairs. There is no guarantee of permanent, total clearance.

There is also a risk of side effects, namely scarring and pigmentary changes

Aiwass

Reaction score
if theirs no gurantee, whats the point of having it done!

oddly enough though, ive heard after you get a few waxes the hair dosent grow back as much, i dont know though

Rolo

Reaction score
I'm in the process of having my back done.

I have light skin and dark hair and it is working well for me. The entire process will take 5 treatments over the course of a year. I'm 3 treatments in and the results are very good.

The greater the contrast between your skin color and your hair color, the better the results will be. The laser will not zap light colored or gray hairs.

For my money, this is the best method for hair removal. Much better than waxing. After the treatments, I won't have those periods when the hair is growing back in and getting long enough to wax again. More important, the problem with ingrown hairs and bumps after waxing will not exist. Also, in the long run, laser treatment is much, much cheaper.

There are horror stories about people who have had problems with lasers. Make sure you pick a place were the staff is well trained. The place I go also uses nurses as the technicians. The only problems I've ever had is razor burn from when they shave my back before the procedure.

The second treatment hurt like a mother. In that treatment, they had cranked up the laser intensity and the hair on my back was still fairly dense. The first and third treatments weren't too bad. I'm expecting that the remaining treatments won't be too bad as there is so much less hair. In terms of absolute pain, it's probably no worse than waxing, but it's more sustained. Understand that the laser is actually burning the hairs under your skin, so it's like getting a bunch of tiny intense little burns. It also smells like burning hair during the treatment which is a bit disconcerting.

Different laser centers will provide different levels of "guarantee". The place I'm going originally provided 50% off subsequent treatments after the standard course. They are now offering a better guarantee, but I don't remember what the details are. In comparing different facilities, you may want to consider the robustness of their guarantees.

In short, I'm very happy I went the laser route.

ts4them

Reaction score
I've had my shoulders/chest and neck done. The shoulders didn't hurt, the neck and chest/abs were
confused.gif
. I've always used the Lightsheer Diode laser which gives you a permanent reduction each time you do it. There's no guarantee that you'll have complete clearance though. Hair comes back thinner and lighter, I really like it and recommend it.

auto90403

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rolo
I'm in the process of having my back done.

I have light skin and dark hair and it is working well for me. The entire process will take 5 treatments over the course of a year. I'm 3 treatments in and the results are very good.

The greater the contrast between your skin color and your hair color, the better the results will be. The laser will not zap light colored or gray hairs.

For my money, this is the best method for hair removal. Much better than waxing. After the treatments, I won't have those periods when the hair is growing back in and getting long enough to wax again. More important, the problem with ingrown hairs and bumps after waxing will not exist. Also, in the long run, laser treatment is much, much cheaper.

There are horror stories about people who have had problems with lasers. Make sure you pick a place were the staff is well trained. The place I go also uses nurses as the technicians. The only problems I've ever had is razor burn from when they shave my back before the procedure.

The second treatment hurt like a mother. In that treatment, they had cranked up the laser intensity and the hair on my back was still fairly dense. The first and third treatments weren't too bad. I'm expecting that the remaining treatments won't be too bad as there is so much less hair. In terms of absolute pain, it's probably no worse than waxing, but it's more sustained. Understand that the laser is actually burning the hairs under your skin, so it's like getting a bunch of tiny intense little burns. It also smells like burning hair during the treatment which is a bit disconcerting.

Different laser centers will provide different levels of "guarantee". The place I'm going originally provided 50% off subsequent treatments after the standard course. They are now offering a better guarantee, but I don't remember what the details are. In comparing different facilities, you may want to consider the robustness of their guarantees.

In short, I'm very happy I went the laser route.

Good post. Your experience mirrors mine.

I also did back/shoulders, and as I have light skin and dark hair, the laser was very effective. In fact, it took so long for new hairs to appear, i was always misled into thinking that future treatments weren't needed. But eventually, hairs that were previously made their appearance.

At high intensity, it's a bit painful. But no big deal. A routine visit to a dentist can be far more painful and scary. Laser hair removal is more like your little brother snapping you with a rubber band -- it stings but it's instantly over and the second the treatment ends, there's no further pain.

As for the smell of incinerated hair, I kinda liked it.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting this done on my back and shoulders and lower neck... How much does the total cost over a year get up to? And after those 5 treatments, the hair never grows back, right? I have very light skin and my hair on those areas is black so thats encouraging.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of costs are we talking about, roughly?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe they are several hundred dollars a treatment. I was reading studies on it that said, in some cases the lasers actually make you grow hair like crazy, but this was only observed with people having black hair.

Dick Danger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by briancl
What kind of costs are we talking about, roughly?

I just got back from a place called Pure Med, this is what they told me. First I asked about a full body treatment, everything from the collar down, she says $20k, but then says we're having a Christmas in July special this month and everything is 50% off, in the store 90 seconds and the price was cut in half. Then she looks at a few places and says I'm not that hairy and maybe she could give me a bigger discount, she leaves the room and comes back with a clipboard and says since my back isn't that hairy, she can offer me a price of $7500, then I say I don't want my arms done and she looks up a price sheet and says she can discount another $1000, so now I'm looking at $6500 for a full body laser treatment, six treatments per body part over the next year. I say I'm not ready commit to that much just yet I'll get back to her. As I was turning around to leave another woman was walking in and she turned out to be the manager, the manager and the women that was helping me got together and came back with a coupon for 20% off, the said they could use the coupon towards the $6500 I was quoted and the total would only be $5200. hhhhmmm I say, and wonder if I should take the deal.

Thoughts?

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Find out how much is REALLY costs first (by shopping around). Then go back for the deal if necessary.

bullethead

Reaction score
I had it done on my back and shoulders, and after a period of time it does grow back, though much lighter than before. Overall, I'm glad I had it done. I was fortunate a friend owned the clinic, so I received a substantial discount.

One thing she mentioned, however, is to be consistent. She said if you wait too long between sessions, the overall results may suffer. Something to do with repeatedly hitting the follicle before it can rejuvenate.

BankerBoi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aiwass

The avatar is self explanatory, too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads