• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anybody had a cortisone injection in their spine?

Bonggoy

Reaction score
I did it a few months ago. I can't remember for sure but mine is L3 and L5 and possibly more.

Pros:
Quick and relatively painless. Immediate result.

Cons:
Weight gain. I've gained 15 lbs since I had the injection.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've had more cortisone pumped into me than a professional football team, so I'm rather familiar with the procedure. What is the specific problem you have and why do they feel the shot is the next step?

As to the shot itself, it is relatively painless. They numb the area first and all you feel is a little pressure from the liquid invading the spaces. Depending on the type of injection they want to do (disc space, nerve root block, etc.) you could also feel some tingling, electric sparks, or slight pain. But its really nothing and its over in an instant. You go home the same day and ice yourself a few different times. Then in a week you start exercising again.

I don't know what the guy above is talking about with the weight gain. I think he's just a closet oreo eater and had nothing else to do while resting. There's no weight gain associated with cortisone.

Bonggoy

Reaction score
I've had more cortisone pumped into me than a professional football team, so I'm rather familiar with the procedure. What is the specific problem you have and why do they feel the shot is the next step?
As to the shot itself, it is relatively painless. They numb the area first and all you feel is a little pressure from the liquid invading the spaces. Depending on the type of injection they want to do (disc space, nerve root block, etc.) you could also feel some tingling, electric sparks, or slight pain. But its really nothing and its over in an instant. You go home the same day and ice yourself a few different times. Then in a week you start exercising again.
I don't know what the guy above is talking about with the weight gain. I think he's just a closet oreo eater and had nothing else to do while resting. There's no weight gain associated with cortisone.

That happened to me.

Of course, if it didn't happen to you, it shouldn't happen to anyone else.

http://netwellness.org/question.cfm/34275.htm

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had an L4/L5 herniated disc and discussed the cortisone shot with my neurosurgeon. They didn't recommend it for my situation, as it would simply temporarily ease the problem but wouldn't fix anything. It can also cause degenerative damage. I ended up having a partial discectomy, but I had had a traumatic injury and it was pretty obvious what the problem was.

Corticosteroids commonly cause weight gain. They decrease your insulin sensitivity and also increase your sensitivity to carbs. Net result is you pump out a **** ton of insulin, which tends to make you eat more which makes you gain weight and the excess insulin makes you store it as fat more readily. I'm diabetic so I know my insulin levels pretty well. I was on steroids for a couple weeks and had to do triple my usual insulin even without eating carbs. My insulin:carb ratio more than doubled as well. It was nuts. I actually lost weight while on it, but mostly because I was brutally restrictive of my carb intake.

Don't know how long the shot stays in your system though.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Rambo.

Looked at the MRI's this morning.
My L5 disc is dedgrading and inflamed, mostly on the right side. Left side is pretty normal. Pretty typical for a right-hand dominant desk jockey.
Been in PT for some time, slowly strengthening the inner left thigh and right glute, trying to open up my hip better

It's starting to impinge on the L5 nerve some- occasionally it's just about impossible to get out of a seated position without very sharp pain.

The PT is going well but it's slow and the pain has been off/on for a long while.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as weight gain- I've seen that in others but only in significant and prolonged doses. We're talking about one shot for now to gain some relief while I continue PT.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

As far as weight gain- I've seen that in others but only in significant and prolonged doses. We're talking about one shot for now to gain some relief while I continue PT.

just so you understand that that's all this is - temporary. many people think its a panacea. its really just a short term fix.

do you have any associated spinal stenosis? have they talked to you about a discectomy?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

weight gain is a rarity. yes, in some people there is a definite insulin spike. but is usually only temporary. to gain 15lbs from it is a rarity.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

just so you understand that that's all this is - temporary. many people think its a panacea. its really just a short term fix.
do you have any associated spinal stenosis? have they talked to you about a discectomy?

No to both- not bad enough at this point to warrant surgery.

We talked about the temp. nature of it. Relieving the inflammation could help with PT but the pain is also helpful feedback during PT. Know what I mean?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

No to both- not bad enough at this point to warrant surgery.
We talked about the temp. nature of it. Relieving the inflammation could help with PT but the pain is also helpful feedback during PT. Know what I mean?

exactly what you mean. if its not too much of a hit from your insurance its worth a try. i'm curious whether they'd do a facet block or a disc injection.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

^Dunno? I think it's a direct injection.

well with your situation it could go either way. the injection into the disc space would theoretically reduce the swelling and pressure on the joint. the facet joint injection would reduce the pain associated from movement in the joint space. trouble is, which is causing your specific pain, since you seem to be suffering from both problems.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's the nerve impingement that's the biggest source of pain... that sharp spasm that tightens up all of my QL on the right

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I think it's the nerve impingement that's the biggest source of pain... that sharp spasm that tightens up all of my QL on the right

yeah, but what causes the impingement, and which nerves? is it the protruding disc that's pushing into the nerve? now it might sound like reducing the disc inflammation would reduce that, but its not always the case. sometimes its the facet joint nerves that become a problem and the introduction of cortisone in the space causes relief. Have you talked to a pain management doc yet?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics