1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody feel that they aren't where they want to be at their age?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Quadcammer, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I can still drink men half my age under the table. I am exactly where I want to be at this age.

1 person likes this.
  2. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Top 1/3 in my age group at any distance. Not really happy with that.

3. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

You know, the more money I make, the more I piss away.

I make less than 60k a year, counting medical and company car. I live with my folks in a posh neighborhood and basically live off them for most of my expenses. I don't even pay for gas or a landline.

I only work 5 hours a day, but am seeking work in my field (I am working on a Masters of Theological Studies, and have a B.A. in political science. I've worked in politics and it's a very rewarding job. I like it so much I've even volunteered for various things.

When I start thinking, "My buddy has a BMW while I've got a Jeep" I need to think, "I've got a Jeep and 50% of my friends own lousy cars or are walking. A big lesson to my ego was driving a 2004 Buick Century which had hood damage, side damage and eventually (the insurance guys eventually wrote off my car) major side damage while I was working out of town. I was lucky enough the guy who smashed up my car left a note. I went from driving a darn company car, to a 10yo Jeep Grand Cherokee which has features I'm very glad to have.

No matter how much you make, there are always more people making more money. Instead of looking at that, look how fortunate you are to be in your position. There are some jobs I'd gladly do for minimum wage, and some I wouldn't touch for 50/hr.

Tom

4. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

Good post. I'm not sure of it, but I feel like I'm in the lower 3rd of my graduate school class...which is disappointing. Its not really about talent or drive as you most likely know. A lot of it is connections and right place right time.

You're right, I'm not insanely stressed, and I have enough time to do basically what I want, which is nice.

And maybe thats ok? Maybe its a continual striving for more that will drive me? its not necessarily about material good, as I probably should have made more clear in my op. The salary itself is the reward. Its all bullshit anyway, all it is is numbers on a screen that decrease and increase. It almost doesn't feel real.

One thing I did in the past that seemed to straighten out my thinking was to withdraw a paycheck in cash. When you see that direct deposit is one thing, but when you take that money out in cash, it certainly seems more impressive and more real. Perhaps its time to do that again.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

You should do this then walk to the nearest bar. Sit down, chat up the bar wench, and drink until your entire paycheque is gone.

6. L.R.

L.R. Senior member

I can do that! A product of being poor and young, my pay has not reached the "Kill me in one bender" stage.

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

When I was your age I was too poor to afford both booze and dinner. The simple solution was to drink Bloody Caesars all night and eat the olives and celery stalk with each one. :slayer:

8. L.R.

L.R. Senior member

Lol. I've only drank on NYE for that exact reason. Alcohol is damn expensive, I may have to follow your advice. If I subsist of a bag of potatoes for a month, I can afford some some vodka. I'm sure the dollar store must carry some off-brand clamato juice. You are a genius, good sir.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  9. Fraiche

Fraiche Senior member

Seems like the OP derives his happiness from without rather than within. But as another poster mentioned, that is the double edged sword of ambition.

I don't have as much ambition as I should given my skills but I'm actually quite content. Maybe New Yorkers should do a stint in California cause the lifestyle here is is vastly different and offers a different perspective on life.

10. theyare

theyare Senior member

OP - based on your profession and location, chances are you could quadruple what you are making / have now and you will feel the same.

The amount of money in and around NYC and (still) Wall st. is insane, particularly when you start to self-select yourself into certain areas/towns/stores/restaurants/ cars etc.

11. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

There is a real level of truth in this... competing in an environment in which you truly don't desire to belong can be consuming. As I am planning to relocate to Cali with my girlfriend this fall, she is currently finishing her JD/MBA in Hong Kong where she perpetually feels "not good enough" or "not working enough" when surrounded by many students and friends who just work their asses off for the sake of working, chase money and ultimately still not be happy or fulfilled. Balance is the true key to happiness.

1 person likes this.
  12. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

well, I actually don't mind what I do at all, and like working, so thats not the problem. Perhaps I need to look more at what I have achieved as opposed to what I haven't?

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Take some advice from someone in his 40s. There is always a bigger swinging dick than you. Always. So do not compare yourself to anyone but yourself in any meaningful way. Also, think about comparitive or ratio metrics. I mean, if I work 40 hours a week and make 250k a year, but you work 80 hours a week and make 300k? I win.

14. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

+1

another thing - I didn't really get what I would consider a "good" job till I was 30. 22-30 I was doing interesting things, and having fun, and working hard, and learning, and earning well, but things really burst for me at 31. I know a bunch of guys just like that.

15. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I'll be 35 this year and I do own a home (a small one that is over 50 years old) but not 2 luxury cars (I drive a busted ass Toyota) and I think I'm doing pretty well for myself.

16. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

This obviously disregards the importance of how much one enjoys their work. I'd gladly take X to do what I do rather than X + 50k to do anything else for half the time.

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Same here only push it out a few more years. The real cheddar did not start until my late 30s. That and I didn't manage to crack the poverty level until about 24 or so.

I understand what you are saying but I work from the default position that all work sucks. It's why they call it "work" and not "leisure" or "play time." ;)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  18. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

you're right... I hear you. I really am striving to do something I enjoy (no guffaws please!) and am just trying to get my gf to realize she won't always be stuck in HK slaving away at this dual degree. In fact , she'll be done in September...then I can rescue her away to California! :)

19. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

...And once you break the 200k plateau, get married, and start a family, your income will seem very pedestrian. At 28, I was still in the midst of training, so I was jealous of my peers who had already started their 401k, started paying down their school debts, and were saving or purchasing homes. I'm five years older than you, and I'm starting to realize some contentment in my (upper) middle class lifestyle. Not everyone needs a Lexus SUV or C-class Mercedes, a Manhattan address, and/or a vacation home to be happy.

If you introduce one or two school age kids into this equation + busted ass Toyota x2 + mortgage payment on a (small/modest) 3-bedroom condo in my neighborhood + fully funded 401k x2 = 275-300k HHI

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  20. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

ugh @ people who measure their position in life by type/# of cars they drive, money they can save, "nice things" they can afford.

Grow the fuck up.