• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anybody else love waistcoats?

northantslad

Reaction score
My favourite item of clothing is the waistcoat. For work I like to be without the suit jacket in shirt and tie with good fitting waistcoat/trousers. They also work as a more casual look with t shirt/jeans. Are there others out there who like waistcoats?

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I like waist coats, but not to the point of wearing them with jeans.

i wear a three piece often in the cooler months.

Spong

Reaction score
Yup, my favourite item of clothing too. Don't have anywhere near as many as I'd like. I'd love to wear them in the cooler months but finding anything in cotton/linen/lightweight wool OTR is pretty difficult and I can't afford bespoke/MTM just yet. Which also means I tend to be stuck with odd waistcoat, trouser, jacket combos - complicating things further.

Managed to find one beige cotton number so far which goes rather nicely with my sand linen suit.

Seems like it's easiest to find greys, black and navy in heavier wools. Good brown waistcoats have been proving elusive for me.

northantslad

Reaction score
I normally go for matching waistcoat/trousers but a black waistcoat with grey/beige trousers doesn't look bad.

kasakka

Reaction score
Love 'em, wish most of my suits had one. Alas, nice waistcoats seem to be hard to find. I also use them with jeans and a dress shirt.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Waistcoats in a casual situation look pretty bad most of the time IMO.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I loved Waist Coats (on its own) in High School. Not so much after that though :(

Now days my Waist Coats stays with its Jacket and Pants.

JFKJean

Reaction score
I love a good waistcoat, dressed down or up and my inspiration is always Tom Hagen in " The Godfather" and how that was wrapped around him like second skin. Also, one of my recent favorite GQ editorials from about 3 years ago was on the 3 piece suit. Anyone remember that?

Daseinflaw

Reaction score
Unless you're a hipster or a has-been one hit wonder rock star, I don't like the waistcoat w/ t-shirt and jeans look. With a three piece suit on the other hand, that could be quite nice.

TintinATL

Reaction score
I wear waistcoats for work a good deal in the winter, not as part of a suit, but an odd waistcoat. Besides being practical for warmth, they allow for interesting color, texture and contrast. I sometimes wear them with jeans, but you have to be careful. Combined with a t-shirt they look pretty bad.

I've found several on eBay, but you have to be patient if you want anything interesting. Yoox sometimes has some, and I've picked a few up at other online sources. Brooks Brothers usually has a couple of odd waistcoats in their collection.

My favorite is a charcoal gray boiled wool waistcoat from Austria with maroon piping (trust me, it's nicer than that sounds!). It's very comfortable but unfortunately it's a bit of a one-hit wonder – it's so distinctive that once I've worn it a couple of times, I can imagine people start thinking "oh he's wearing THAT waistcoat again".

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You might not like the rest of the ensemble but these are some of the best made off-the-rack I've ever seen. This style is worn by Prince Charles fairly often.

They also make a shawl lapel and a double-breasted for the more adventurous.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might not like the rest of the ensemble but these are some of the best made off-the-rack I've ever seen. This style is worn by Prince Charles fairly often.

They also make a shawl lapel and a double-breasted for the more adventurous.

Those look interesting, but I'm not a fan of the straight cut across the bottom.

Bowtiedlad93

Reaction score
I too love waistcoats and wear 3pc suits daily for work and such. I love them because they make me look slimer and provide the perfect viechle for showing off my beautiful watch and chain. teh only downside is that is hides my braces but that is a sacrifice I am willing to make.

northantslad

Reaction score
I don't normally buy clothes from Ebay but I've just purchased a black pinstripe waistcoat and it is brilliant quality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads