• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anybody else hate it when employees get too involved when you go shopping?

kookydooky

Reaction score
Maybe its just me but I hate that awkward feeling denying recommendations they throw at you it doesnt relate to what you are looking for obviously showing that they are just doing anything they can to make a sale.

I also hate when I try things on and they talk to me while in the change room.

I prefer to ask for help on finding a size or whatever when I need it instead of having them awkwardly hover over me making me feel uncomfortable, rushed, and just want to gtfo of there

Brutus

Reaction score
teacha.gif
This is why all those who know shop strictly online. I think I cringe a little bit every time I know I have to actually visit a store.

sfnewbie

Reaction score
Some of them work for commission. However, I think it can be very annoying if they're overbearing. But on the other hand, I would rather them be there too much than not being able to find anyone when I need help.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
While I don't like the "can I help you find something in particular" or "you'd look great in this, have you heard of xxxx" approach, I think it makes sense for them to ask if you're ok in a changing room. It saves from having to bring in different sizes of the same article of clothing in with you. It's helpful. Also think that some of the bad approaches come from people relatively new on the job, pressured by minimum daily sales, or some combination of the two. I've had this happen a lot at Barney's, especially Co-Op, where in one situation I was wearing BoO, the SA girl complimented me on it, and then said it looked just like this Save Khaki shirt and wanted me to go over and see it as if I were about to buy a copy of the shirt I already have.
confused.gif
Most of the time I feel like they're overcompensating their lack of inexperience or knowledge for perceived helpfulness.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about when someone tries to sell you on an item and you actually know a metric **** ton more about it than they do, and you know they are clueless. Ever since I became an educated consumer I particularly notice this.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't want salespeople around until I need them. I prefer to be left alone.

What bothers me most is when I'm at the checkout line of a grocery or drug store, and the clerk is commenting on my purchases while I await to make payment. The unwelcome commentary about my shopping choices is most unwelcome.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
What about when someone tries to sell you on an item and you actually know a metric **** ton more about it than they do, and you know they are clueless. Ever since I became an educated consumer I particularly notice this.
I experience this often, but it doesn't bother me unless the person is very overbearing. Usually I'll listen patiently to their commentary without comment or I'll politely tell them that I'm familiar with the item.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
There is no worse SAs than those at an Apple store.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently Kooky has the willpower to resist. Not everyone does. (cf the thread where the hawt SA at Buckle suckered the poor schlep into buying $150 worth of clothes he didn't want.)

I've never really had that problem, although I certainly wouldn't mind attractive women forcing themselves on me in any situation. Pretty much everything that isn't socks, underwear, and t-shirts I buy off the internetz, though. I think SAs are good at picking up body language cues to distinguish a guy who's seriously looking to buy something from a casual browser.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I don't want salespeople around until I need them. I prefer to be left alone.

What bothers me most is when I'm at the checkout line of a grocery or drug store, and the clerk is commenting on my purchases while I await to make payment. The unwelcome commentary about my shopping choices is most unwelcome.

Once I tried buying condoms at a drug store and the clerk looked at me and said, "*pfffft*, yeah right!"

kookydooky

Reaction score
lol which thread is that

Another one that annoys me is after trying something on the assistant folds it up assuming you are going to purchase it so then saying you arent buying it is even more awkward

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
All the time. That's how a place like this forum ruins you. Just about every in-person shopping experience that isn't one of our affiliates winds up like this and it usually takes a lot for me to keep my mouth shut, especially when they're trying to push facts to sound more than competent about what they're selling. If you're ever in LA, swing by this denim place in Pasadena. That **** was unreal. Jas will testify.

Deluks917

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kookydooky
lol which thread is that

Another one that annoys me is after trying something on the assistant folds it up assuming you are going to purchase it so then saying you arent buying it is even more awkward

Pisses me off too.

shade449

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
All the time. That's how a place like this forum ruins you. Just about every in-person shopping experience that isn't one of our affiliates winds up like this and it usually takes a lot for me to keep my mouth shut, especially when they're trying to push facts to sound more than competent about what they're selling. If you're ever in LA, swing by this denim place in Pasadena. That **** was unreal. Jas will testify.

Which store in Pasadena? I'm probably gonna be going there this weekend.

And yes this happens to me all the time too. It's especially awkward when, after I correct them, they make up a lie or try to brush off their mistake without acknowledging it.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Granted, my retail experience is limited to Abercrombie and Fitch, and abercrombie; but still I feel I have a general idea as to how a salesperson should interact with a customer. I tend to nitpick. If I am in a store for more than a few minutes and am not approached by someone offering to help if I so desire help... I leave.

But once I am asked the first time its up to me to decide when and if I need assistance.

That being said; having held a retail position; a lot of shoppers have horrible facial expressions that make them appear lost and in search of a particular garment wilst shopping when in-fact they know exactly what they are looking for. You are the second or third person to ask them if they need help (this is your job) and run the risk of looking like a greedy commision hungry rool. I

It is something like that, or you offer a suggestion of what might look nice with the items they are holding and run the risk of mis-assesing their aesthetic and being that sort of retail douche too.

Its tricky business, i think thats why a lot of places have bullshit taglines as you walk in, and then they ignore you until you need a fitting room or a place to pee.

robbie

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads