• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anybody else hate it when employees get too involved when you go shopping?

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I worked at the GAP the managers would ***** that we weren't interacting with the customers enough. We also had to inform customers about GAP cards and try to open 2 accounts a day. It was the stupidest thing. Aside from not wanting a sales associate hovering over you, who wants to be bothered about opening a credit card while they're browsing? Needless to say, I got tired of it quick and just stood in the corner and pretended to fold sweaters.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Employees should be seen and not heard.

What's funny is that instead of letting people buy clothes, like here in Korea, in America it's either complete apathy, or an aggressive sales pitch. When I worked for BR over a Christmas, I was in sales and the kind of **** they made me do was embarrassing to me and the customers.

berlin report

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, this is difficult. I think the interaction goes both ways. Its different for me because I own the shop and the customers somehow sense that and I get treated with some degree of respect. I've been in other situations where I've been an employee and you sometimes get treated like ****. We make it a point to greet EVERYONE who comes in and sometimes a mere hello is enough to turn some customers off. I think its human to say hello back, never mind looking the other person in the eye as you do as this is way too much to ask from most people. A lot of them just ignore you and that hurts. I think it comes from the fear of having to really interact if you acknowledge the other person.
I sometimes get people who are "burned" from bad service and I have to work extra hard to get them to trust me. I think the key is to only give honest opinions. Its also just a matter of being able to feel a person out, to anticipate the way the want to be treated. I suppose this only comes with experience , a real desire to do the job well and a certain pride in knowing that your customers trust you.
As a customer (in the rare occasion that I go shopping) I leave the shop after 5 minutes if they don't come and at least greet me.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
All the time. That's how a place like this forum ruins you. Just about every in-person shopping experience that isn't one of our affiliates winds up like this and it usually takes a lot for me to keep my mouth shut, especially when they're trying to push facts to sound more than competent about what they're selling. If you're ever in LA, swing by this denim place in Pasadena. That **** was unreal. Jas will testify.

just really think if you were to read forums like this about every single type of purchase you ever make whether it be furniture, tv, audio, house, cars, etc, etc, literally every aspect of your life, you would probably never be satisified

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
I just feel really bad when I leave a store w/o buying anything. I mean, if a girl leaves my apartment without taking her pants off, I get really bummed. Same exact thing.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I basically just buy 90% of my stuff from 2-3 stores so I know everyone there and it's like buying from friends since there's no pressure to buy, and they are helpful to the nth degree without expecting a sale

but going into a new store/one I dont frequent I like a greeting and that's it. The perfect one is "hello, if you need help with anything let me know and I'd be glad to help you", as he goes back to his own biz

RedLetterDay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kookydooky
Maybe its just me but I hate that awkward feeling denying recommendations they throw at you it doesnt relate to what you are looking for obviously showing that they are just doing anything they can to make a sale.

I also hate when I try things on and they talk to me while in the change room.

I prefer to ask for help on finding a size or whatever when I need it instead of having them awkwardly hover over me making me feel uncomfortable, rushed, and just want to gtfo of there

This really bothers me also. I know most of the time they are just trying to be helpful and/or make a commission but I am more likely to leave the store and not buy anything if I have an employee following me around commenting on everything I look at.

Brigden

Reaction score
The amount of passive-aggressive *****ing around observed in this thread is laughable. I'm shocked at some of the lengths you people go to in an effort to avoid interacting with salespeople.

99% of the sales people you will encounter are there for the paycheque. They don't obsess over clothing like most here do. Lording your superior knowledge of a specific label over a poorly-paid salesperson makes you look like a complete dickhead. Get over yourself.

A good salesperson will give you room to breathe, explore, and be available when required. Make use of them as needed and your shopping experience will be that much richer. I make sure each time I enter a shop I am taken care off. I enjoy good customer service.

If you don't want to be shadowed while you shop, seize the opportunity to politely reject their offer at the outset, when they first approach you.

Here's how it works:

SA: Hello. Welcome to X. May I be of service?
Me: No, thank you. I'm just browsing at the moment. I'll let you know if I need anything, thank you.

That wasn't so hard, now was it?

cshd

Reaction score
I dont know about you guys but 50% of the time i go to a clothing store i get bothered by both employees and customers. employees ask me if they can help and customers think i work there or somthing and ask me for somthing.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brigden
The amount of passive-aggressive *****ing around observed in this thread is laughable. I'm shocked at some of the lengths you people go to in an effort to avoid interacting with salespeople.

99% of the sales people you will encounter are there for the paycheque. They don't obsess over clothing like most here do. Lording your superior knowledge of a specific label over a poorly-paid salesperson makes you look like a complete dickhead. Get over yourself.

A good salesperson will give you room to breathe, explore, and be available when required. Make use of them as needed and your shopping experience will be that much richer. I make sure each time I enter a shop I am taken care off. I enjoy good customer service.

If you don't want to be shadowed while you shop, seize the opportunity to politely reject their offer at the outset, when they first approach you.

Here's how it works:

Me: No, thank you. I'm just browsing at the moment. I'll let you know if I need anything, thank you.

Harsh. That said, I totally agree with you.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
I thought there was some above average looking asian chick working that underwear brand section. If you guys weren't there I might've hit her up. Cock blockers :p
bounce2.gif
We should come shopping with you more often.
Originally Posted by constant struggle
just really think if you were to read forums like this about every single type of purchase you ever make whether it be furniture, tv, audio, house, cars, etc, etc, literally every aspect of your life, you would probably never be satisified
Good point. Probably explains why I haven't seen the inside of a guitar center in five or six years.

braidkid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'd rather go to the store and try something on. If I find something I like, i'll research online for deals.

As for stores, I love you Blackbird, but the people there have been too pushy lately.
I prefer Barney's as they leave you alone and generally give you an honest opinion.

Jay-D

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Man, some of you guys are tough. As a customer, I always want to be at least acknowledged and if I wasn't I probably would not purchase anything. This goes for restaurants, bars or any where that you expect customer service.

Now when shopping, I don't like being followed around a store as if I was a possible shop lifter, but as a boutique owner I can say this is a reality as well. We've been ripped off enough times by people that you would never expect. I am sure that many stores, especially ones that are multilevel or a long bowling alley shape, will have tendencies to pay more attention for this reason.

A good SA can typically tell how to help people based on their reaction and interaction. We have customers that immediately expect guided help and we have just as many that want to do their thing.

StylingUK

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brigden
Here's how it works:

When the SA come over and ask me what I am looking for, I just smile politely and say just browsing. If they don't get it and keep talking to me, I'll rephrase it again for them and 99% of the time, they would tell me to ask them if I need help and walk away.

I thought this thread is about SA that would not leave you alone even if you tell them you are just browsing? If anyone engage in a conversation with the SA, they are just asking for their attention and of course they'll give you a more personal service.

Seanallen

Reaction score
My friends and I play this game called the "Buckle Challenge"
The challenge is trying to walk from the front of the store to the back wall and back to the front without having a worker come up and ask you anything.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads