• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anybody dealt with member stilmacher? Confused as to what to do

Tibo

Reaction score
Sorry if this post does not belong to here - please feel free to redirect to more appropriate section of the forum. Last week Saturday 30/4, member Stilmacher posted a pair of John Lobbs for sale on the B&S forum http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?p=4450976 I immediately exchanged a couple of PMs with him as I was interested in the shoes. He was always very responsive and answered to my PMs in a matter of minutes. The last PM I got from him was to confirm that if I were to make the agreed payment on Saturday he would ship the shoes from Germany on Monday (2/5) and that they would be with me in Belgium by the end of the week (6/5). I sent him the payment by PayPal and got the automated acknowledgment from PayPal that the payment was sent. My credit card was immediately charged with the amount. That's when things got tricky. Since then, despite sending several PMs to Stilmacher, I haven't gotten him to answer anymore. He never acknowledged that he received the payment, and never confirmed when and if the shoes were shipped. The shoes didn't arrive yet, so I got increasingly worried and sent him a PM yesterday saying that failing reception of the shoes or a PM by tomorrow, I would start a dispute procedure with PayPal to get my money back. You'll say this is a classic scam and I shouldn't have waited so long to react. Thing is, I never would have, if I didn't have the feeling that Stilmacher was a long-established and reputable SF member (profile here http://www.styleforum.net/member.php?u=9030). He's been selling lots of stuff on the forum and from what I can see only got thumbs-up from buyers. So my question is: before I launch the arduous process of trying to get my money back, is there anyone of you who knows this member, has dealt with him in the past, or has any idea why this is all happening (account hacked, Stilmacher travelling or sick or...)? Any clue would be helpful obviously. Many thanks for your help!

TintoTerra

Reaction score
If he's not responding contact your credit card company asap. Better safe than sorry.

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
That sucks ... not sure what went wrong. Good luck OP.

He was quite pleased as a fellow Sfer but it is a different kettle of fish when money is involved.

rsuhandy

Reaction score
I am doing the same thing with another established sfer....
It's for a much smaller amount but it's been almost a month and I still haven't
heard back. Oh well paypal says if he doesn't respond within a month money will be refunded...
musicboohoo[1].gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rsuhandy
I am doing the same thing with another established sfer....
It's for a much smaller amount but it's been almost a month and I still haven't
heard back. Oh well paypal says if he doesn't respond within a month money will be refunded...
musicboohoo[1].gif

It is a bit sad state of affairs but fellow Sfers are just internet acquaintances and nothing else most of the time...

We tend to forget about it on SF...

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt he's scamming but at the same time you don't have to wait around while your window of opportunity shrinks. Even if the reason that he hasn't responded is because he died, that doesn't mean you should be ass out $500.

You could possibly wait a week or so, but definitely not more than 30 days, or whatever the limit for disputes is.

rsuhandy

Reaction score
I would just send him a PM telling him what you intend to do.
At least then you can say you tried to work things out first...

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
have had nothing but good experiences with him. i agree about sending him a PM that you are going to dispute the charge ... hopefully that will pique his attention. i have to believe there is something wrong and this is not him scamming you.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
a few days off I think is acceptable. I know when I'm selling stuff, sometimes I say I'll have it shipped off in 2-3 days but really I might wait until the end of the week until all the sales are in before going once to ship everything out. meaning the guy who bought on monday will get them a week late (at most)...

I say send him a PM (check if he's been online even).
wait until the end of the week

then do whatever you've got to do.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just saying -

Did you send him a direct email, or contact him via his ebay auctions? Some people dont have an email notification set up for PMs, and they might not come on to SF for long periods of time - or not pay attention to their PMs.

LatinStyleLover

Reaction score
No idea how often he normally frequents the forum, but he last signed on May 4th, 2011, for what it's worth.

rsuhandy

Reaction score
If that's the case then send him an email to the email
that you sent money to. If he doesn't check that one then
he won't even know that you opened up a dispute. Odds are he
checks his paypal email though...

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't that dude rich wearing his chinchilla coats and such and traveling Europe? I'd send the PMs, give it a couple of days, then start the dispute by the end of the week.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads