1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody dealt with member stilmacher? Confused as to what to do

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Tibo, May 10, 2011.

1. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

Last update: apparently something messed up in the shipping process and the seller got the shoes back to him today, or so I'm told by the person answering his emails on his behalf during his absence. Giant misunderstanding ensues as the seller doesn't understand why I would file a PayPal claim and at the same time refuse delivery of the package (which I obviously didn't).

It happened to me once before. My MTO was shipped from England and I waited 2 week before contacting the vendor. Who said he mailed it 2 weeks ago.

It ended up the Package has already attempted delivered once. Somehow the notice was taken/blown off by Wind. Without the notice I didn't know the package was here already, and USPS just waits for me to pick it up - thinking I got the notice.

I picked it up 2 days before it was scheduled to be shipped back.

Maybe something similar happened to you.

2. alphaO888

alphaO888 Senior member

This is just plain sad - you never go anywhere that's off the grid?

Work requires me to constantly be plugged into th[​IMG] e matrix and it's not that difficult to stay connected nowadays.

3. Jangofett

Jangofett Senior member

Plus the travelling excuse is such horse shit nowadays. Who travels without a cell phone or laptop/e-reader or vacations in the Sahara without any internet access? Especially someone who has money.. please. Poor excuse if you ask me.

What the others said are right.

While almost everywhere in the world is online, except for Osama's pad, sometimes its not worth the hassle.

So if one travels in an 8 to 11 hours flight, I wouldn't want to pay the high air charges so I can reply to PM and emails on where is so and so's parcel. The same applies if I am in transit and waiting for the next connection. I understand Dallas would have a strip joint in their airport soon? I would rather pay for that, than pay to surf the net. And if one is travelling to some place new, I would rather look around than spend my time surfing the net.

And even if I am not travelling, I have better things to do with my time than surf incessantly daily.

4. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

We've also agreed that as soon as I get the tracking number I'll withdraw my PayPal claim and wait for the shoes to arrive; worst case, if the shoes aren't there in 1 week, I could file a PayPal claim again.

Let's see how it goes, but this one won't end up my best online buying experience ever [​IMG]

Nice to hear it sounds like its working itself out for you however just to cover yourself, I would not close the claim until you receive the shoes. Even if the person ships the shoes, funny things can happen in transit. Just sayin'

5. Tibo

Tibo Senior member

Just to comment on the timing issue since it seems some are accusing me of being impatient: what was killing was the contrast. When stilmacher offered his item for sale, he answered to PMs in matters of minutes. Then when the deal was closed I had no answer from him or anyone representing him for 12 days (from Saturday 30/5 to Wednesday 11/5), without him ever telling me that would happen before.

Seriously folks, as much as I understand the idea of being off the grid, nowadays, when you know you're going to be offline for more than 5 days, you tend to give advance warning to people with whom you're interacting at that moment, right?

Anyway, we'll see how it goes. Still waiting for the new tracking number.

6. Jangofett

Jangofett Senior member

Just to comment on the timing issue since it seems some are accusing me of being impatient: what was killing was the contrast. When stilmacher offered his item for sale, he answered to PMs in matters of minutes. Then when the deal was closed I had no answer from him or anyone representing him for 12 days (from Saturday 30/5 to Wednesday 11/5), without him ever telling me that would happen before.

Seriously folks, as much as I understand the idea of being off the grid, nowadays, when you know you're going to be offline for more than 5 days, you tend to give advance warning to people with whom you're interacting at that moment, right?

Anyway, we'll see how it goes. Still waiting for the new tracking number.

You must have not dated much.

You would be attentive, responsive and patient before sealing the deal but once the deal is done, you would put her at the bottom of the to-do list while you scour for the next one.

Anyway, I think once he posted out the item, he would think it would be unnecesary to keep you in the loop, since your deal is done.

7. Tibo

Tibo Senior member

Agreed in general, but not to the tune of keeping people waiting for 12 days.

8. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

You must have not dated much.

You would be attentive, responsive and patient before sealing the deal but once the deal is done, you would put her at the bottom of the to-do list while you scour for the next one.

Anyway, I think once he posted out the item, he would think it would be unnecesary to keep you in the loop, since your deal is done.

Are you being serious? I don't think that's right at all, whether it's in the context of dating or selling merchandise.

9. Jangofett

Jangofett Senior member

Are you being serious? I don't think that's right at all, whether it's in the context of dating or selling merchandise.

Hey, when I sell you something, my job is nearly done when I give you the tracking number.
    I can help you contact the post office when you still dont get it after a few weeks, but there's nothing much I can do from that point onwards.

And please dont expect me to be on call for you and put my life on hold for you for the next few weeks, until you finally get the item and indicate to me you are pleased with it. I mean I ain't Barnes and Frigging Noble.

BTW I reckon you do not date much too right?[​IMG]

10. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Sex and money are too serious matters to play with them...

Love is a different matter.

11. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Plus the travelling excuse is such horse shit nowadays. Who travels without a cell phone or laptop/e-reader or vacations in the Sahara without any internet access? Especially someone who has money.. please. Poor excuse if you ask me.

I travel without a cell phone and/or laptop. When I am on holiday I am on holiday. Plenty of people with money, perhaps especially people with money like to get off the grid when they are on holiday.

12. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I travel without a cell phone and/or laptop. When I am on holiday I am on holiday. Plenty of people with money, perhaps especially people with money like to get off the grid when they are on holiday.

Fully agree with that statement...

Switch off the mobile and no internet...

13. alphaO888

alphaO888 Senior member

The guy didn't respond for 12 days. There is no flight in the world that takes 12 days.

If you're retired then i can understand if you're disconnected from the world. Or if you inherited your money and you have absolutely no responsibilities. I can say that the all of extremely wealthy, successful, and actively working people I know do not go for more than a few days without some sort of communication via internet or email.

12 days unplugged from the grid is a long time. And since he has an assistant, it really is irresponsible for him not to have resolved the situation during that time period.

14. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

The guy didn't respond for 12 days. There is no flight in the world that takes 12 days.

If you're retired then i can understand if you're disconnected from the world. Or if you inherited your money and you have absolutely no responsibilities. I can say that the all of extremely wealthy, successful, and actively working people I know do not go for more than a few days without some sort of communication via internet or email.

12 days unplugged from the grid is a long time. And since he has an assistant, it really is irresponsible for him not to have resolved the situation during that time period.

It is not good business pratice for sure...

If I decide to sell my suits , I will be replying to e-mails as soon as possible..

It is a question of decorum and gravitas.

Noblesse oblige ...

15. Jangofett

Jangofett Senior member

And since he has an assistant, it really is irresponsible for him not to have resolved the situation during that time period.

He has an assistant!
    Wow! Are we gonna start threads and posts about how much he is charging for his goods?

16. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

If you're retired then i can understand if you're disconnected from the world. Or if you inherited your money and you have absolutely no responsibilities. I can say that the all of extremely wealthy, successful, and actively working people I know do not go for more than a few days without some sort of communication via internet or email. 12 days unplugged from the grid is a long time.

I employ good people and unless someone wants to buy us or one of our targets becomes for sale I do not want to know. If they have to contact me they know where I am staying.

You friends have to learn how to delegate.

17. Tibo

Tibo Senior member

Guys, this thread is going in a direction I feel uncomfortable with. My intention has never been to bash the seller for what he did or didn't, but rather to find a solution at a time when I believed I was about to loose $500.

The situation isn't solved yet but at least I got indications it might end up being solved in the future. That's a way better situation than when I started the thread. That aside, I feel that discussions about the seller's wealth, lifestyle etc. are completely inappropriate. I also don't exactly see how they would help solving my problem. So let's please refrain from them. I don't want to be (albeit indirectly) responsible of the seller's reputation on the SF.

18. alphaO888

alphaO888 Senior member

I employ good people and unless someone wants to buy us or one of our targets becomes for sale I do not want to know. If they have to contact me they know where I am staying.

You friends have to learn how to delegate.

It has nothing to do with delegating, it has to do with being in the know.

It probably has more to do with what industry you work in. As an example, in buy-side finance you need to be constantly plugged in or else you stand to lose.

There is no reason why not to carry around a communications device now a days. There's something new called a silence mode built into these devices.

And not to be a d*ck, if your place of business can risk lasting 12 days without being able to reach you, you're probably not that essential.

19. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

And not to be a d*ck, if your place of business can risk lasting 12 days without being able to reach you, you're probably not that essential.

Nobody is indispensable - not even you.

20. alphaO888

alphaO888 Senior member

Nobody is indispensable - not even you.

i like that =)