• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any way to make a college apt less boring?

inq89

Reaction score
Just moved to my first place on my own from years of having roommates. I am in grad school and have a basic one bedroom apartment with carpets, office space window blinds, and white souless walls and not allowed to replace any of them. Basically your generic apartment. Since I will be living here for a few years, I want a presentable and unique bachelor pad for a 22-25yo. I've visited ApartmentTherapy.com and similar sites for design ideas but it seems all of them are for city flats with wood floors and exposed brick while my place lacks any kind of character. Any ideas? I want to keep it simple but different from my friends who hang up sports posters. Budget is so-so, I'll probably hit up craigslist more than I want, but honestly don't plan on spending a lot since this isn't a permanent residence and I work part time with just enough spending money. Just need ideas to point me in the right direction. fyi Nearest Ikea is almost 4 hours away
frown.gif
I don't mind the drive but it'll obviously limit the amount of day trips.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
colored lightbulbs.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are you allow to paint or/and hang stuff on the walls?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do what I did my freshman year in college and use duct tape to write vulgar words all over the place.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You could just paint your walls and then send them back to white in a few years when you move out.

I like white paint though...if it is dingy, crappy white paint, just paint them a better white and you won't have to repaint and they will wonder why the place looks so much nicer than the other units when they come to inspect.

Hang some art on the walls...you can use those sticky things.

Get some non-ugly furniture

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A regular dosing of lysergic acid diethylamide certainly will make things less boring.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
A regular dosing of lysergic acid diethylamide certainly will make things less boring.

laugh.gif

inq89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Find Finn
Are you allow to paint or/and hang stuff on the walls?

I can hang stuff but no painting, walls have to remain a standard white.

Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Do what I did my freshman year in college and use duct tape to write vulgar words all over the place.

Did something a bit similar my freshman year too, but I am 22yo so Im past the undergrad stuff!

Originally Posted by guest
tiki bar.

Thinking about having a setup like Don Draper with some glasses and spirits always on the ready.

Originally Posted by otc
You could just paint your walls and then send them back to white in a few years when you move out.

I like white paint though...if it is dingy, crappy white paint, just paint them a better white and you won't have to repaint and they will wonder why the place looks so much nicer than the other units when they come to inspect.

Hang some art on the walls...you can use those sticky things.

Get some non-ugly furniture

I'll probably just leave my walls as they are, but what kind of non ugly furniture do you recommend? I'll take a trip to that distant Ikea I mentioned before and see what I can pick up.

Originally Posted by SammyJ
grab some cheap curtains at wal-mart. That's what my g/f did for me when I had a college apt..best of luck!

Definitely have to get some curtains...the sun beats me too early in the morning these days lol.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To make it more interesting, make sure there are college girls there on da regular!

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
To make it more interesting, make sure there are college girls there on da regular!

+1

divitius

Reaction score
I envy you; if I had that time to do over again I would definitely have made my grad school apartment more of my own. Try scouring antique stores for good quality old furniture (while desperately trying to put out the no-**** vibe), especially if you really want to go for a Mad Men style. Another possibility is inexpensive print art. Just get a decent frame and it looks 100% better than a crappy dorm poster. For curtains make sure they let enough light through- don't make the mistake of just getting your favorite color (which for me was dark blue
facepalm.gif
) For a respectable (female-inviting) bachelor pad you probably also want a religiously clean bathroom with lots of towels, a solid, comfortable sofa (no futon) and a full-size bed
smile.gif

henrikc

Reaction score
I'm sort of in the same position. I can hang stuff from my walls, but since I live on the corner of my apartment building most walls are pure concrete walls (small studio apartment). I went to Ikea and bought some stickers, and they turned out pretty good. White walls, and they look pretty good if I may say so myself. Easy to remove as well. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00167575

jon-mullen

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you're required by law to have atleast one (1) Bob Marley poster.

You might want to look into Home Reserve furniture, they ship it to you ready to be assembled. They've got ok fabrics and most models have storage space built it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads