Any Tips on Getting a Korean Girlfriend in Korea?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Daniel_Kemp, Jul 21, 2009.

1. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

2. Sherlockian

Sherlockian Senior member

Announce proudly that you have a sumptuous apartment in Daechi-dong, and drive an Equus.

If feeling conversational, try a little flattery: "Tangshinun yeopomnida", and if rebuked, stare her down (Korean girls love an aggressive waegukin man) and enquire "No jukgo sip nya?"

That ougtta get you to the top of the social ladder until you give up and resort to picking up fat western chicks in Haraboji nightclub in Hongdae.

3. sage_incognito

sage_incognito Active Member

No...Koreans are generally not as fat as Americans are [​IMG] I'm considered big in Korea with a 29 waist and 38 chest, so you get an idea of how anorexic Koreans want to be.

Unless unfit for service, all Korean men have to serve in the military. This makes Korean men slightly more machoish or stronger than Japanese. Some girls like it, but others don't. In general, there's a trend named "herbivorous man" in Japan and S. Korea. Some guys are going beyond trying to look cool. They do make-ups (not trimming) and try to look "pretty."

If you watch Korean dramas like "F4" or some idol dancing groups, you will understand what I mean. But please note public poll shows Korean girls do hate girli boys or eunuchs. Don't confuse with being strong and gentle. Don't be a macho. Be kind to girls, just don't castrate yourself.

And, yes. Koreans are slim. Asians have slimmer physique than Caucasians. Though tallest among Asians, Koreans are still short (average height for 20-year-old Korean guys is 173cm). Yet I guess a body with 29-inch waist and 38-inch chest seems rather normal or slim, not big for a Korean.

FYI: (1) Tangshinun yeopomnida = You are pretty. (please note Korean like Japanese has a variety of endings indicating honorific level, and this sentence is very formal, rather awkward for approaching a girl. I am sure pronunciation will be quite hard too.)

(2) No jukgo sip nya? = you wanna die? (also, poor pronunciation will make you look funny.)

Years ago, I saw a drunken American with a cheap Korean girl fighting Korean guys on Itaewon street. Almost about to exchange blows, the poor American guy tried to threaten the Koreans in Korean. Yet what he yelled was rather awkward: "Sir, I wonder whether or not you want to pass away?"

4. dizzhizz

dizzhizz Senior member

craigslist korea.

5. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

Unless unfit for service, all Korean men have to serve in the military. This makes Korean men slightly more machoish or stronger than Japanese. Some girls like it, but others don't. In general, there's a trend named "herbivorous man" in Japan and S. Korea. Some guys are going beyond trying to look cool. They do make-ups (not trimming) and try to look "pretty." If you watch Korean dramas like "F4" or some idol dancing groups, you will understand what I mean. But please note public poll shows Korean girls do hate girli boys or eunuchs. Don't confuse with being strong and gentle. Don't be a macho. Be kind to girls, just don't castrate yourself. And, yes. Koreans are slim. Asians have slimmer physique than Caucasians. Though tallest among Asians, Koreans are still short (average height for 20-year-old Korean guys is 173cm). Yet I guess a body with 29-inch waist and 38-inch chest seems rather normal or slim, not big for a Korean.
    When I went to Korea, my aunt was talking to my cousins and she said, "어머, 옷이 얼마나 큰지 아니?" after doing the laundry. Every single article of clothing in my bag was US small or medium (fitted too, so they'd be meant for a 38 chest) <_<;; LOL did that guy say, "당신 돌아가고싶어요?"

6. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Years ago, I saw a drunken American with a cheap Korean girl fighting Korean guys on Itaewon street. Almost about to exchange blows, the poor American guy tried to threaten the Koreans in Korean. Yet what he yelled was rather awkward: "Sir, I wonder whether or not you want to pass away?"

Heh

7. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

1. Trim your body - Foreigners (provided you're a Caucasian) are quite hairy by Korean standard. A bit hairy chest is okay, but too much hair on your face or other parts will make Korean girls feel that they're dating with a Chubaka (think of Star Wars), not a human being. 2. Wash thoroughly your ass and Wear deodorants. (It's serious, man.) - Koreans are a more or like homogenous race, hence they are quite sensitive about somewhat "alien" body odor. Remember few Northeast Asians reek underarm odor. Asians of course have their own body odor. (Chinese - oil, Japanese - fish, Koreans - garlic, for example). But Caucasian body odor is something they are unfamiliar with. (Koreans would call it "yellowish" smell). Therefore, Korean girls are extremely supersensitive about Caucasian or African body odor. Don't take a shower for only two days around this time, walk in a hot and sultry Seoul street for half an hour. Then Take a bus or subway. Everybody aboard will give you a slant, disgusting look. 3. Try to understand Korean culture; they will appreciate it very much. - Most young Koreans can to some extent understand English thanks to the harsh education system. But English is totally different from Korean, and they are afraid of making mistakes. (It's a kind of culture not to be embarrassed in front of strangers with something they are poor at) They all know how much difficult to learn a foreign language. They will expect something reciprocal. Try to learn some their language and culture. They will show interest. 4. Do not touch their sensitive nerves - nationalism - Young Koreans have a mixed feeling toward their national identity. Proud of what they've achieved for the past decades, but they still reveal a sense of inferiority and frustration. Korea is not a poor, backward country. It's simply located in a wrong place surrounded by big powers like China and Japan, influenced by the U.S. Never compare something Korean with Chinese or Japanese in a negative way: I would rather recommend hooking up with an Irish girl with praise on the English heritage and British empire. 5. You get what you pay for and behave for. - Remeber, chaste girls from high class will not easily make "lovers" with foreigners. Those easy & cheap looking girls hanging out with shabby Americans on Itaewon or Hong dae clubs are simply "losers" to the eyes of Korean guys. Most of them are in fact not so appealing to Korean guys. Those girls are in a sense taking an ersatz. - I often wonder or even resent why things (girls, culture, goods or services) best known to foreigners are rather cheap or knock off stuff. Places best known to foreigners like Itaewon or Hong dae area are in fact the least favorite places for cool and rich Korean guys to hang out. "Water quality" couldn't be worse, they would say. Kangnam Station or Apkujeong dong? Only for young kids who think Armanis and BMW's are the best luxury goods. - The best Korean "elfves" are in other upscale places like Cheongdam dong or Karosu-gil in Shinsa dong. They are hanging out there inside luxury cafes or restaurants privy to upscale Koreans. Damn pretty and elegant girls are really hard to snatch for ordinary foreigners in baggy jeans or hip hop t-shirts. Those places are quite exclusive to rich guys. Try to impress them. Try to look regal. Are girls pretty there? You bet. Compare this way. Girls on Hongdae clubs or English cafes are cheap MTW suits from Itaewon. Those ladies at exclusive Cheongdam-dong cafes are bespoke classic label suit with Loro Piana fabric from Segi tailor. 6. It's universal: Sincerity will work, money will make things easier. Good luck. Here's the truth. - Amor vincit omnia. (love conquers all things) - Pecuniate obediunt omnia. (all things obey money) FYI, I'm Korean in my early 30's. Born in Korea, living in Seoul for more than 25 years. Also briefly lived in Boston (US, for study) and Lyon (France, when I was a toddler).
    Standard advice that seems obvious but apparently isn't, judging by the kinds of people you meet in Korea. I would argue that while Korea is not a poor backwoods country (did you mean backwards or backwoods?), I do think it is not a rich country and it is slightly backwards, in terms of thinking and doing. I have lived here quite a while and many things still do not make sense to me or my American upbringing. Logic does not reign supreme in this country, and while the country changes rapidly, Korean people grow up learning antiquated thinking from an antiquated education system that does not particularly suit the economic conditions that exist for Koreans. To boot, I, and I'm sure many others probably find Korea somewhat charming for those exact reasons, it's very down home and different in it's own way I suppose. Sometimes you don't want to stick the rare 10's as they come, have ugly sex, and eat Pierre Gagnaire at every date, sometimes a nice full buffet of 8's that don't bitch at you and some beer and burgers are more satisfying. Korea is good for the latter, terrible for the former. Tokyo is probably better for the former, if you're that kind of person, I think the ceiling for that kind of quality is much much higher over there. Korea is very workaday in that aspect. I can understand that when you show up with a little money in your pocket, you don't particularly want to fuck an everyman's whore, but honestly, I don't really find the supposed tip top kinds of girls to ever be worth it, especially in Korea. visual 8's and 9's with some sort of talent or personality can go further than any visual 10 that is empty inside.

8. sage_incognito

sage_incognito Active Member

Standard advice that seems obvious but apparently isn't, judging by the kinds of people you meet in Korea.

I would argue that while Korea is not a poor backwoods country (did you mean backwards or backwoods?), I do think it is not a rich country and it is slightly backwards, in terms of thinking and doing. I have lived here quite a while and many things still do not make sense to me or my American upbringing. Logic does not reign supreme in this country, and while the country changes rapidly, Korean people grow up learning antiquated thinking from an antiquated education system that does not particularly suit the economic conditions that exist for Koreans.

To boot, I, and I'm sure many others probably find Korea somewhat charming for those exact reasons, it's very down home and different in it's own way I suppose. Sometimes you don't want to stick the rare 10's as they come, have ugly sex, and eat Pierre Gagnaire at every date, sometimes a nice full buffet of 8's that don't bitch at you and some beer and burgers are more satisfying. Korea is good for the latter, terrible for the former. Tokyo is probably better for the former, if you're that kind of person, I think the ceiling for that kind of quality is much much higher over there. Korea is very workaday in that aspect.
    I can understand that when you show up with a little money in your pocket, you don't particularly want to fuck an everyman's whore, but honestly, I don't really find the supposed tip top kinds of girls to ever be worth it, especially in Korea. visual 8's and 9's with some sort of talent or personality can go further than any visual 10 that is empty inside.

I absolutely agree with what you think of Korea. Even I myself cannot understand why emotion and old habits override logic. Koreans' mindset has not simply caught up with their material achievements.

That being said, however, I slightly have a different idea on girls. Places most foreigners find cool in Seoul or girls they usually hang out are in fact below average. Tokyo is a better place for sure. In that sense my country still seems to be closed to foreigners.

9. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I have lived here quite a while and many things still do not make sense to me or my American upbringing. Logic does not reign supreme in this country, and while the country changes rapidly, Korean people grow up learning antiquated thinking from an antiquated education system that does not particularly suit the economic conditions that exist for Koreans.

Now, elaborating on this, would make this thread interesting. And would probably help the OP.

10. Milhouse

Milhouse Senior member

So I've noticed fighting mentioned a couple of times between the two threads on Korean girlfriends. Is Korea really that violent of a place? Why is fighting so common? Is it mostly Koreans beating up foreigners or something?

11. impolyt_one

I absolutely agree with what you think of Korea. Even I myself cannot understand why emotion and old habits override logic. Koreans' mindset has not simply caught up with their material achievements.

True, but:

educationally (semi-sympathetic definition) - 19th century British educational system via a colonial Japanese educational philosophy (in other words, who cares if we don't teach these people we don't care about nothing?) mixed with a good amount of business or missionary-focused American big business teachings, who would really be motivated to go above and beyond when no one is willing to show you that? Korean culture and African and African-American cultural ideals have a lot in common, they're both downtrodden cultures that have internal issues and high aspirations to overcome, and practical education in Korea has boiled down to an each one, teach one philosophy in order to really learn. Not always the best, but what you have. For a country of 60 million, there should be questioning of this. Why do unqualified Canadian drunks 'teach' Korean 5 year olds 'English' from 9am-1pm each weekday? What exactly do Korean public school teachers learn, in their Korean public school teacher education? It's a game of telephone with Dixie cups and some twine. A lot of things in Korea are a game of telephone.

overall (mean definition)- I think anyone could forgive Koreans if given the right sob story at the right time. Most countries have great historical sob stories at some point in their country's history (part of taking the hits), but Korea has the advantage of having a good sob story in recent memory (well photographed and packaged), which makes it easier to relate to on some international televised level. I'm Korean by blood, btw, as well. I just think that things around here have to reach the point of being acceptably bittersweet and not being able to run to some semi-world podium to cry about misgivings, and progress can finally begin.

Completely agreeable viewpoint from a Korean perspective, but you do have to accept that Koreans and westerners will have different ideals regarding women and attractiveness. Usually, a westerner fresh off the boat will look straight at a woman's body and forgive a face; for native Koreans, there is an attitude of the opposite. Korean males can often accept a woman with natural A cups and a flat ass with a clean-looking decent face and a babydoll hairstyle, most westerners would much rather walk around with a real nasty looking bitch in tall heels, with stuffed C cups and a fat bum, maybe even a tan if she's on her game. Different strokes for different folks. Still man, you can't discount the importance of a nice pair of tits and a nice ass on any girl, they do add a point or two as long as the waist is trim. Even the Filipinas that are built attractively get plenty of dick in Seoul.
    Yeah, the lower-class ESL teacher's 'met-in-Hongdae-at-M2-we've been going out for 1.5 weeks and are SO happy as far as the 2 times we've met including the first night' type bitch is not in it to win it, or be really in it all, but there are very decent looking girls with B cups and self esteem issues even in some shitty ass place in Jongro or Chungmuro nestled in amongst the puking 20 year old guys on a Monday evening, it's not like Seoul is holocaustically segregated between Chungdam and everything else.
    If I took (ie completely supported myself on) my old decrepit dad's money just like all of these other Koreans at my age (27), I could get a house in Chungdam or Shinsa, buy a silver 4cyl Audi or BMW with light grey leather interior and a suction-cup navigation system, wear well-made but knockoff/slightly homosexual clothes and hang out drunk every night with my boys over a pot of spolit clams or some pig guts and complain about girls while smoking too much, and be a completely obnoxious presence on earth, but I really hate the wannabe pretentiousness of Kangnam, pretty much as a whole. I live in Kangbuk, have always lived in Kangbuk (Shinchon from birth and now Shinchon again throughout my adulthood, the same dongne even) and can admit Kangbuk's shortcomings, but Kangnam now, and possibly 20 years from now, will never appeal to me, it hasn't come all the way and it's been an ugly transition in the making.

All completely personal, but I can't talk about this kind of shit with anyone who doesn't have a level-headed and well-experienced world view on Korea. [​IMG] dizzhizz up above is one of these people who understands.

FWIW, re: OP, I can talk a Korean girl in met in most places serving alcohol, into tongue kissing me and showing me her boobs within 5 minutes of meeting me. I don't necessarily exercise this, but yeah it happens. Korean girls in general don't come in dozens of sexy, but they do come in batches of 'better than North America by a long shot'

12. impolyt_one

also, I should've clarified, 'the best' of Seoul is really not much, at all. The girls look good (usually a bit disappointing undressed because Korean girls stuff and pad like second nature and have bodies deserving of the lattes and ice cream they rely on for nutrients) but could be better dressed and educated, and the food and drink fucking suck, they really fucking suck.

13. Night Owl

Night Owl Senior member

If I took (ie completely supported myself on) my old decrepit dad's money just like all of these other Koreans at my age (27), I could get a house in Chungdam or Shinsa, buy a silver 4cyl Audi or BMW with light grey leather interior and a suction-cup navigation system, wear well-made but knockoff/slightly homosexual clothes and hang out drunk every night with my boys over a pot of spolit clams or some pig guts and complain about girls while smoking too much, and be a completely obnoxious presence on earth, but I really hate the wannabe pretentiousness of Kangnam, pretty much as a whole. I live in Kangbuk, have always lived in Kangbuk (Shinchon from birth and now Shinchon again throughout my adulthood, the same dongne even) and can admit Kangbuk's shortcomings, but Kangnam now, and possibly 20 years from now, will never appeal to me, it hasn't come all the way and it's been an ugly transition in the making.

[​IMG]

14. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

1. Trim your body
    - Foreigners (provided you're a Caucasian) are quite hairy by Korean standard. A bit hairy chest is okay, but too much hair on your face or other parts will make Korean girls feel that they're dating with a Chubaka (think of Star Wars), not a human being.

2. Wash thoroughly your ass and Wear deodorants. (It's serious, man.)
    - Koreans are a more or like homogenous race, hence they are quite sensitive about somewhat "alien" body odor. Remember few Northeast Asians reek underarm odor. Asians of course have their own body odor. (Chinese - oil, Japanese - fish, Koreans - garlic, for example). But Caucasian body odor is something they are unfamiliar with. (Koreans would call it "yellowish" smell). Therefore, Korean girls are extremely supersensitive about Caucasian or African body odor. Don't take a shower for only two days around this time, walk in a hot and sultry Seoul street for half an hour. Then Take a bus or subway. Everybody aboard will give you a slant, disgusting look.

3. Try to understand Korean culture; they will appreciate it very much.
    - Most young Koreans can to some extent understand English thanks to the harsh education system. But English is totally different from Korean, and they are afraid of making mistakes. (It's a kind of culture not to be embarrassed in front of strangers with something they are poor at) They all know how much difficult to learn a foreign language. They will expect something reciprocal. Try to learn some their language and culture. They will show interest.

4. Do not touch their sensitive nerves - nationalism
    - Young Koreans have a mixed feeling toward their national identity. Proud of what they've achieved for the past decades, but they still reveal a sense of inferiority and frustration. Korea is not a poor, backward country. It's simply located in a wrong place surrounded by big powers like China and Japan, influenced by the U.S. Never compare something Korean with Chinese or Japanese in a negative way: I would rather recommend hooking up with an Irish girl with praise on the English heritage and British empire.

5. You get what you pay for and behave for.
    - Remeber, chaste girls from high class will not easily make "lovers" with foreigners. Those easy & cheap looking girls hanging out with shabby Americans on Itaewon or Hong dae clubs are simply "losers" to the eyes of Korean guys. Most of them are in fact not so appealing to Korean guys. Those girls are in a sense taking an ersatz.
    - I often wonder or even resent why things (girls, culture, goods or services) best known to foreigners are rather cheap or knock off stuff. Places best known to foreigners like Itaewon or Hong dae area are in fact the least favorite places for cool and rich Korean guys to hang out. "Water quality" couldn't be worse, they would say. Kangnam Station or Apkujeong dong? Only for young kids who think Armanis and BMW's are the best luxury goods.
    - The best Korean "elfves" are in other upscale places like Cheongdam dong or Karosu-gil in Shinsa dong. They are hanging out there inside luxury cafes or restaurants privy to upscale Koreans. Damn pretty and elegant girls are really hard to snatch for ordinary foreigners in baggy jeans or hip hop t-shirts. Those places are quite exclusive to rich guys. Try to impress them. Try to look regal. Are girls pretty there? You bet. Compare this way. Girls on Hongdae clubs or English cafes are cheap MTW suits from Itaewon. Those ladies at exclusive Cheongdam-dong cafes are bespoke classic label suit with Loro Piana fabric from Segi tailor.

6. It's universal: Sincerity will work, money will make things easier.

Good luck. Here's the truth.
    - Amor vincit omnia. (love conquers all things)
    - Pecuniate obediunt omnia. (all things obey money)

FYI, I'm Korean in my early 30's. Born in Korea, living in Seoul for more than 25 years. Also briefly lived in Boston (US, for study) and Lyon (France, when I was a toddler).

hey! no divulging state secrets! [​IMG] let's keep the kojaengees quarantined in Itaewon and Hongdae please...

15. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

(2) No jukgo sip nya? = you wanna die? (also, poor pronunciation will make you look funny.)

아자씨, 주고싶어요?