• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any thoughts on Outlier - Storm King Parka?

easyazn

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone has the Outlier Storm King Parka and what their thoughts on it were?

A bit hesitant to spend that amount of money for something that isn't 100% waterproof.

Thanks!

gsugsu

Reaction score
The fabric is very expensive. It is Etaproof which is a proofed version of Ventile. Your are correct in that it is not 100% waterproof but rather wind proof and highly water resistant. It will wet through but only if you are in a steady downpour for a long period of time.

If you want waterproof get Goretex or a similar laminate.

Ventile/Etaproof has its advantages and disadvantages. It breathes better than a laminate. It won't melt around a camp fire. It is quiet which is important if you are a bird watcher or hunter.

Goretex loses its ability to breathe at very cold temperatures while this fabric does not. On the other hand Ventile swells and gets rigid when wet so when you take off the jacket it will stand up on its own when soaked.

It is not for everyone. I have several Ventile jackets and shells. Double Ventile is waterproof unless you are out in a downpour all day.

I also have laminates.

easyazn

Reaction score
Thanks for the 411. I think this will be perfect for my short commutes in Seattle. Ordering it!

gsugsu

Reaction score
Good man. You won't see many around. Nicely made and a great fit. It will fade and develop a patina over time especially along wear area and seams but that adds character. Pretty rare fabric in terms of availability.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the 411. I think this will be perfect for my short commutes in Seattle.   Ordering it!

Just curious. Did you get the Parka? If so, what do you think?

easyazn

Reaction score
I got it and I loved it. I knew it ran large and I usually wear medium and I got the medium and it is just way too big. For that price I needed it to fit correctly. If they ever make more small sizes I would totally buy.

If i can buy from someone I would as well!

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response! What color did you get?

Where is the parka too large? Chest? Sleeves? Length?
Were you pleased with the color (whatever it is you chose)?

easyazn

Reaction score
I got the black which was more like dark gray which was fine.

The fit runs a good full size larger. The arms are long and the waist area is large... if you just go a size down it will be perfect.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I got the black which was more like dark gray which was fine.

The fit runs a good full size larger.  The arms are long and the waist area is large... if you just go a size down it will be perfect.

As the Storm King Parka is not offered this year, all they have left, at cost reduction, are Mediums and up. Usually, I would wear a Medium, but from you describe, I would need a Small. I ordered the Medium and will hope for the best. It sounds as if I might be returning it. Again, thanks for the information.

easyazn

Reaction score
Yeah I did the same... was hoping that the medium would be ok. =[

Know anyone selling a small? haha

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The MEDIUM Storm King parka arrived, and as I feared, it is much too large. It is a great parka, though! I like the construction and overall design. It looks durable and long lasting. Sadly, a return.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads