• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any technical writers here?

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a phone interview for a junior technical writer position on Tuesday, but I've never done any technical writing before (my degree is in English and Creative Writing, and I have five years of journalism experience).

How should I approach the interview?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No advice to offer but do let us know how it goes. My education is in engineering but I've considered getting into this.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it's a tough gig to walk into with no prior experience

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
it's a tough gig to walk into with no prior experience

Yeah, I had roughly the same background (journalism degree and 5 years' experience as a writer/editor) when I applied for a few technical writing gigs a while back. Other than being able to clearly explain anything so a 5-year-old can understand, the skill sets are quite different. In software, for instance, a good part of your work would be as part of a team alongside the developers, to document the workings of the product, etc.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a second interview for this gig an hour ago; the dude who interviewed me was the company's head technical writer, and he called me from London (England), where he's currently stationed.

The actual interview went fairly well, from what I can tell. He aksed me to come up with a document outlining a process (he said it could be something as simple as screwing a lightbulb), so he could see how I organized information.

I have a friend who recently entered the technical writing field a year ago, so hopefully he'll help put me on the right track for this assignment.

Then there would be a third interview, this time with the CEO of the entire company.

Damn, this is an exhaustive process. Welcome to the real world, right?

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good luck man, sounds like you're doing well. Technical writing has always interested me.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Pilot.

I just need to come up with something to write a document about. I was given a few days to come up with it and send it in, but I'd rather do it sooner than later, obviously.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ended up writing a technical document about installing RAM, and they were impressed with it, so now I have a third interview (with the chairman of the company, to boot) on Thursday morning. He's also in London, so the interview's at 9am my time.

Wish me luck!

housie

Reaction score
good luck, but you dropped the ball. your document should have looked something like this:

1. --------
2. --------
3. ????
4. Profit!

from what I hear, businesses love profit.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm happy to say I got the job. Decent starting salary, with lots of room to move up. Benefits, sweet downtown office, et cetera.

roryben

Reaction score
I'd never even heard of this as a profession before I just read this thread. This totally sounds up my street though... like dusty I'm in engineering too. OP can you elaborate on what you'll be working on? If you know...?

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gfreeman
Well, I'm happy to say I got the job. Decent starting salary, with lots of room to move up. Benefits, sweet downtown office, et cetera.

Congratulations bud. Now, I'm no slouch when it comes to writing, but how much to edit (or write) my masters thesis?
laugh.gif

austinite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gfreeman
Congrats. What type of company is it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads