• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Tailors in Hong Kong with a more Italian cut?

Wongtouski

Reaction score
As per title, I did a search and do not seem to find a topic on this. Been doing my fair share of reading up on this great forum before I signed up, as I just started to get into the suiting world. I just made two suits with Janzten late last year, one Suit one Tux, and wasn't loving the end result. That's why I'd like to get more expert opinion here.

Anyway, I realize a lot of Hong Kong tailors would be of British influence, are there anyone that are more Italian? Or do I simply go to the well recommended ones in this forum (i.e. WW Chan, Peter Lee) and just ask for a more Italian cut? Please advise.

As always (for the first time), thanks for all your help!

E

Classic Car

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hi E,

Do you mean Italian cut or Italian workmanship?

I think Hong Kong Tailors are minimum 50 years old. No newbie going to join this tailoring industry because of low pay. Most of them are made in Shenzhen workshop. Their Shenzhen workers are not permanet. They may return to homeland after Chinese New year. Italian style need to be soft and light, it may result a lot of skill handwork while British style is more stiff. Fused canvass made less difference in Britsh style than Italian style. Existing tailors are mostly learn from the teachers whom are separated Canton or Shanghai workmanship. Shanghai workmanship is very similar to Savile Row while Canton workship usually mean a cheap way to make a suit.

Cheers,
Classic Car

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I heard Guido Wongolini does Italian style very well in Hong Kong.

Classic Car

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Please give me the contact details for Guido Wongolini.

Originally Posted by maomao1980

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wongtouski

Anyway, I realize a lot of Hong Kong tailors would be of British influence, are there anyone that are more Italian? Or do I simply go to the well recommended ones in this forum (i.e. WW Chan, Peter Lee) and just ask for a more Italian cut? Please advise.

E

You might want to scan the threads on what is Italian. It's not all the same.

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980

The stuff I had from Guido was more British, not enough padding on the crotch to be real Italian.

dbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Classic Car
Please give me the contact details for Guido Wongolini.

Guido is an SFer, not a HK tailor.

The beauty about HK tailors is that they try to mould their house style to fit your tastes. They might not necessarily do it very well though.

Wongtouski

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbc
Guido is an SFer, not a HK tailor.

The beauty about HK tailors is that they try to mould their house style to fit your tastes. They might not necessarily do it very well though.

You're on the money here. I'm asking this question because, I'm still at a very premature stage of going out there and knowing (for the most part) what I want. For my first suit I followed the basics from suggestions in primarily GQ (how to buy the right suit). I'd like to find a tailor that, contrary to what you here, perhaps has a little more of their pov, and do a great job at that instead of molding to a certain brand and not being great at just one thing.

I am aware that my posts will be/are quite confusing and provides very little information, so for that I apologize. I think for one I read too much GQ/sartorialist and simply assume I can go to a tailor here and say "make me look like an Italian". While I am aware that is ridiculous, I'm trying to satisfy my curiosity and find out whether if there are HK tailors with more of an Italian "flare". If not though, I completely understand.

I guess at the end of the day, I'd like to find a tailor with a great technical background even if he is 'old school'. I'd much rather work with him and ask for more or an updated look that way. So if you have recommendations in this regard, don't hesitate to recommend me someone.

Again, many thanks for reading posts from a noob, and I always appreciate your comments.

Wongtouski

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Classic Car
Hi E,

Do you mean Italian cut or Italian workmanship?

I think Hong Kong Tailors are minimum 50 years old. No newbie going to join this tailoring industry because of low pay. Most of them are made in Shenzhen workshop. Their Shenzhen workers are not permanet. They may return to homeland after Chinese New year. Italian style need to be soft and light, it may result a lot of skill handwork while British style is more stiff. Fused canvass made less difference in Britsh style than Italian style. Existing tailors are mostly learn from the teachers whom are separated Canton or Shanghai workmanship. Shanghai workmanship is very similar to Savile Row while Canton workship usually mean a cheap way to make a suit.

Cheers,
Classic Car

Great question. I would say Italian cut, I didn't event think about the difference between British and Italian workmanship (will do so accordingly). Having grown up in my grandma's shop (not tailor related) in Tsim Sha Tsui, I've been aware of what you said above in terms of suits being made in China and not being made with that much care. Just as an overall question, in order to get a suit that's made with more "care" in HK, does that mean I'll have to break the bank then? Judging from say Jantzen for example, for the price they charge and the location they are in, the suits simply cannot be made locally and with that much "care". Should I altogether stay away from shops in the HK Island side and venture into the tailoring world in TST?

rsl

Reaction score
Edward Tam (E. Italian Shop No.117, 1/F, Regal Kowloon Hotel)

soft shoulder blazers, skilled guy.

check him out, he gets the look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads