Any suggestions for winter clothing storage in NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tgfny, Apr 20, 2005.

1. tgfny

tgfny Senior member

I know Garde Robe, but they are stupidly expensive if you aren't storing women's couture. Anyone find a reasonable way to store your wool and cashmere winter suits?

2. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Rent a locker at one of those indoor storage places in Manhattan along the West Side Highway? I can't imagine that they are THAT CHEAP, but probably a less expensive alternative than one of the professional wardrobe managing firms. Just be sure to de-moth, toss half a cedar tree inside with your suits, and let them hang out until next fall.

3. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

Put your clothes along with some moth balls into Space Bags then vacuum-seal them. Put the bags into airtight container boxes with more moth balls.

I also suggest those storage places NCT recommended. I had one in the 40's and WSH, opened 24/7. It's easily accessible via cross-town buses. You gain access to your floor with a magnetic card.

4. dah328

dah328 Senior member

A lot of people say those space bags are worthless. Any place you can get reasonable quality vacuum-sealed bags?

dan

5. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

Isn't it difficult to get the mothball smell out of your clothes? I always thought cedar was a better option.

6. sashae

sashae Senior member

Does it make sense to put it in a trunk, or should everything be hung up?

7. discostu004

discostu004 Affiliate vendor

am i the only one who takes them for storage at the cleaners? i think they charge me $15.95 for 15 pieces, i drop them off and pick them up around mid sept. pretty sweet

8. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

Moth balls kill and repel, cedar only repels.

The no-brand space bags I got from Target work better and costs a lot cheaper than the branded ones. But still, they don't last long, one season in my case.

9. arvi

arvi Senior member

i'm with you lance..cleaners is best place,,plus with limited closet speace here in nyc apts it's nice to have soe breathing space for all the summer lightweights...$15.95 for 15 pieces great..cost that much for 3 or 4 here..

10. dah328

dah328 Senior member

am i the only one who takes them for storage at the cleaners? Â i think they charge me $15.95 for 15 pieces, i drop them off and pick them up around mid sept. Â pretty sweet
    i'm with you lance..cleaners is best place,,plus with limited closet speace here in nyc apts it's nice to have soe breathing space for all the summer lightweights...$15.95 for 15 pieces great..cost that much for 3 or 4 here..
    Would it be prudent to trust the cleaners to store my nice suits when I don't trust them enough to ever have them clean them? dan