• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any suggestions for Oahu or Kauai

horton

Reaction score
Either for fun or shopping or whatever.

It's been over 10 years since my last visit.

Thanks

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there's not too much shopping on kaua'i. anyway you can drive the whole island in a couple hours, so it doesn't take long to figure out if there's anything new. the best stuff there is the stuff that doesn't change - wailea canyon, boat tours on the napali coast, snorkeling, hiking, etc.

although it's been about 5 years since i've been there, myself. so what do i know.

i preferred the north coast (hanalei bay) to the south. it's more lush up there.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get the 'Kauai Revealed' book (they probably make one for Oahu as well). It was immensely helpful on my honeymoon last fall.

horton

Reaction score
Quick report: Kaui was like a tropical cape cod -- if that makes sense. I'd highly recommend for the active types and for those who have no problem entertaining themselves (not many clubs or restaurants of note).

Oahu was more of an enigma and I woulnd't recommend it over the other islands. Kailua beach was nice, as was a beach that is known locally as turtle beach (near Sunset Beach) but which apparently has no official name. Tons of turtles all around you. You aren't supposed to touch them but they don't hesitate in bumping into you as they go after seaweed bits etc.

Stopped in Leather Soul in Waikiki. It was ridiculously hard to find, and extremely small. They had a large selection of Aldens (which seemed favored by the Japanese customer) and a small selection of EG.

The Kaui book and it's parallel book for Oahu were very useful to us.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, this goes WAAAAYYYYYY back, but I did love a restaurant in Honolulu, called THE THIRD FLOOR. It was at the Hawaiian Regent, Hotel. Have no idea if it's still there, but WHAT an eatery! Another one I loved, was the Maile Room, at the Kahala Hilton. Zsa Zsa Gabor was there, that night . . . she could really, eat.

horton

Reaction score
Kahala Hilton has since changed hands once or twice, to the Mandarin and then to some more generic name which I forget (and it's not clear to me whether it's owned by the Mandarin chain but they now find it not up to snuff to carry the Mandarin tag)

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wwweeellll, I'm almost fifty-one. I was in Hawaii, when I was 21, so I'm surprised if
crackup[1].gif
Diamond Head, is there at this point. Thanks, for the update!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads