• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Suggestions for Bespoke suit in Los Angeles or SF?

soto_nw

Reaction score
Have used both High Society (suits/jackets/trousers - ~10 commissions) and MyTailor (shirts - dozens?) for the past ~10 years. Have no experience with MyTailor bespoke, but swear by their MTM shirts (as would many others on here, I suspect). Am a mid-30s native Angeleno in a white collar profession.

High Society occupies an interesting niche. It’s a bespoke product, but without all the bells and whistles. You’re paying for fit and customization—not hand stitching (though it is available for certain items upon request). And it has a price point to match—suits start at just under $2,000. If you want a great fit but can live with machine stitching, it’s a God-send (especially if you have an unorthodox build, as I do). They did my tux, and I’ve brought friends to them for their own wedding tuxes. All their work has been great. I could lecture on the pros and cons (mostly pros) for pages, but I hate typing on mobile devices—feel free to DM me if you would like my 10-year/10-commission perspective.

A quick word on non-local tailors (whether they travel to you, or you travel to them): make sure you have the time (and/or travel budget) to make every fitting you need. As you are no doubt aware, the fittings are where the magic of bespoke happens. I learned this the hard way ~9 years ago with a traveling HK bespoke tailor generally considered far superior to High Society. Even with a full basted fitting, the result was disappointing. There was no substitute for “just one more fitting,” as I enjoyed at High Society—that’s the advantage of having a local tailor. You can go back every week until your commission is “right.” If you want to use an SFO tailor, get ready to fly to SFO at least 3-4 times if you want to do it right. (And with MyTailor, you can drive to their Costa Mesa location.)

As I said, please feel free to DM me if you would like to discuss further. Cheers.

Thank you for the response. I will DM you with a couple of questions. Definitely leaning away from traveling tailors and towards MyTailor, and looking into High Society.

Hope you're staying and safe.

soto_nw

Reaction score
I haven't worked with Jonathan Behr directly, but I've commissioned some sample pieces from the workshop he uses when I was toying around with the idea of starting my own bespoke/semi-bespoke company.

You'd get your own hand cut pattern, but by the pattern maker in the workshop who won't be the one measuring you. It's mainly going to be machine made, IIRC only the arm holes are sewn by hand. Depending on the design/cut you want, they may struggle with it - I know I did when trying to get a Neapolitan style cut from them.

Based on what you've described, I don't think he's what you are looking for. But he can definitely turn out a quality garment, that workshop made my favorite pair of trousers. It's also the same workshop that makes neoprene suits for several high-profile athletes, rapper and celebrities.

High Society sounds like it would be a better option from what I've heard.

That's super helpful. By that description it sounds like MyTailor would do a better job of fit and detail work relative to Jonathan Behr.

Hope you're staying safe and healthy.

dvmaster

Reaction score
I haven't seen anyone mention Spoon Tailor, which is another name that pops up in SF threads. I haven't used them myself, so cannot comment.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen anyone mention Spoon Tailor, which is another name that pops up in SF threads. I haven't used them myself, so cannot comment.
I wandered into their shop 4 or 5 years ago and asked whether they could make me a tweed sport coat.
They replied that they didn't make them. Odd, I thought. Maybe once they took a look at me and how
I was dressed- probably a very Neapolitan-looking sport coat and jeans, I spelled "trouble". Otherwise,
they have (had) a good reputation on SF.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@soto_sorry if this is late. I am a customer at High Society, and have been for about 10 years. In get shirts made by MyTailor. HS did a midnight blue tux for me for my wedding.

Cannot recommend them highly enough. Just dropped off a CMT length Saturday. They can do whatever you want. Han will take your measurements, cut your pattern, do your tryons etc.

They even do shell suits on first patterns for very odd or large body types (my body builder friend for example, or many of their LA Laker clients).

And their price is going to be the best around. Would be happy to answer any questions.

soto_nw

Reaction score
@soto_sorry if this is late. I am a customer at High Society, and have been for about 10 years. In get shirts made by MyTailor. HS did a midnight blue tux for me for my wedding.

Cannot recommend them highly enough. Just dropped off a CMT length Saturday. They can do whatever you want. Han will take your measurements, cut your pattern, do your tryons etc.

They even do shell suits on first patterns for very odd or large body types (my body builder friend for example, or many of their LA Laker clients).

And their price is going to be the best around. Would be happy to answer any questions.

Not too late. Thank you for the suggestion, might take a second look at them. Luckily COVID is giving me time ;)

gimpwiz

Reaction score
I also use Spoon Tailor. I have no idea why they wouldn't do a tweed sport coat five years ago - but I did a suit with them recently and am doing another right now (plus several shirts in that time). I'm a newbie without any experience but my experience there has been solid. And the price is very affordable, since they do a lot of labor in Hong Kong. Consultation plus measurement, skeleton basted fitting, then the fitting where your suit is back from HK, then usually on the 4th trip you pick it up unless something still needs fixing. Plenty of fabric options - I didn't see tweed but I also wasn't looking real hard. At this point I am unlikely to get any more clothes made in the near future but I'll definitely recommend Spoon. During covid you usually want an appointment.

dhada

Reaction score
Tailors Keep mostly does MTM, but Ryan there is a good fitter and he's honest about what he can deliver. Online, I think you'll mostly find very slim suits from them. But they can make something more classic fitting (and I would encourage a more classic fitting silhouette, as I think it'll weather trends better).

They also have an in-house tailor, who they use for bespoke. I've only used them for bespoke trousers, not coats. I do really like my trousers, however. I don't know how their in-house coats look.

MyTailor does good work.

There aren't many local options in San Francisco. The trouble with going with a traveling tailor, in this instance, is that you don't know whether there will be a travel ban in the future.

I would be cautious about going with Huntsman.
Any reason why not Huntsman? An authentic inquiry, if I may ask!

jimrude

Reaction score
Hi All, In an attempt to try to look forward I am wondering if anyone has suggestions for a bespoke tailor in Los Angeles or SF. I'm getting married in the Fall of 2021, and would like to have a tux made - are there any bespoke tailors in those locations that people would suggest?

Depending on your build and your "style", you could try Hall Madden:

Wedding Suits

They have a physical location in LA here, where you could look at fabrics and get a sense of what's possible.

I have three suits and three sport coats from them, and have been quite happy with the value for money.

YMMV.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads