1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Any suggestions for a winter coat?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tedbearz, Nov 24, 2004.

1. tedbearz

tedbearz Senior Member

As my office in NYC is business casual looking for something stylish yet very warm. Thinking along the lines of a pea coat or a duffle coat. Have had a very hard time finding a thick overcoat that can be worn in the dead of winter.

2. zjpj83

zjpj83 Distinguished Member

Burberry makes a really nice wool coat, in my opinion. It's pea coat like, I guess. Mine is definitely my go to, standard winter coat, and I love it. Go to the Burberry outlet at Woodbury Commons and pick one up in the $300s I think. They are great.

If you wanted even warmer, you can get down. I hate these nylon down jackets by North Face and such (even though I have one). But, some companies make them with a wool or cashmere outer layer. Mine is RL Purple Label, and I love it too. It's actually one of the few really expensive garments that I've spent full MSRP on.

Good luck

3. spatten

spatten Senior Member

I purchased a Gloverall duffle coat from Sierra Trading Post for around 200$ - and I am quite happy with it. Â Probably not as warm as down - but definately warmer than my topcoats. Gloverall Coat at STP

4. johnapril

johnapril Distinguished Member

Seraphin shearling, hands down

5. housemaidsknee

housemaidsknee Senior Member

6. Alexis

Alexis Senior Member

That thing's been cooked together just shy of Nagasaki.

7. kabert

kabert Distinguished Member

Paul Stuart on Madison Ave. has a large selection of warm winter coats, many of them in a 3/4 length.

8. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

(housemaidsknee @ 24 Nov. 2004, 08:35) how's about this one? RL Overcoat for $99
    Huh? Any other comments on this one, anyone? I just got a camel cashmere overcoat similar to this but I don't know if it will be alterable to the way I want it to fit. I know Chaps is the craps of RL but for $99 it might be worth it.

9. housemaidsknee

(Alexis @ 24 Nov. 2004, 08:39)
    how's about this one? RL Overcoat for $99
    Huh? Any other comments on this one, anyone? I just got a camel cashmere overcoat similar to this but I don't know if it will be alterable to the way I want it to fit. I know Chaps is the craps of RL but for $99 it might be worth it.
    hey if you want one to knock around and abuse, $99 ain't bad. sure - its not the best out there but you could do a lot worse for $99.

10. Kai

Kai Distinguished Member

I second the STP Gloverall route. I love my Gloverall duffle, and the prices at STP are hard to beat.

11. housemaidsknee

i find duffel coats a bit clunky for everyday wear - but then that's just me.

12. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Distinguished Member

A Schneiders or Salko traditional loden coat, with alpaca content. Versatile-can wear with a suit (if you're me) or with corduroys and khaki. Good against rain and snow. Hard wearing. Navy or beige, and not loden green (New York is not Bavaria). Get one of the heavier models. I own one but saw one at Jay Kos (way over-priced at $900).

13. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

14. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Distinguished Member

I dig that APC coat too. I'm shopping for a (wool) winter coat as well - I've considered a lot (duffels, peacoats, etc.) but I yearn for my lost BR wool coat. Everything I look at is too expensive and/or too dressy. Nordstrom Rack had some good stuff (black Loro Piana Storm Systems for under $200, I think) but all odd sizes. I've resorted to shopping the mall stores... At 30% off, this is dirt cheap and probably fine: Banana Republic straight collar coat, but I like some damn lapels. This I'll be keeping an eye on in case it goes on sale, cuz I really like it (so step off): J Crew Hempstead coat

15. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Not bad. It has working cuff buttons, who woulda thunk? The one in the pic doesn't look black, though, and that's the only color they list. (?)