1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any suggestion on this Thomas Pink & HUGU Boss shirt?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by shenxianhga, Feb 8, 2013.

1. shenxianhga

shenxianhga New Member

2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Frankly, neither. But taste is subjective.

3. shenxianhga

shenxianhga New Member

Any comments on the quality of these 2 shirts? I owned 1 pink shirts recently and no HUGU boss shirt yet...[​IMG]

4. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Thomas Pink shirts are decent quality but there's no way in hell I'd ever pay $200 for them. You can get a really nice MTM shirt for less than that. You can get Tyrwhitt for $50 and under and Tyrwhitt Black Label for $80-90. You can get good MTM from a Hong Kong tailor for $120 or so with nice fabric that will fit you better and be at least as well constructed.

Hugo Boss has even more of a brand premium than Thomas Pink. Same exact criticisms apply.

You'll get a decent shirt with either if the fit is right but will pay way more than you should. If you have money to burn, like the brand and don't care, go nuts. If you want to either spend a more reasonable amount or get a solid MTM shirt, then look elsewhere. In addition, I would go with a lighter blue.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  5. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Boss shirts are quite literally the worse shirts you can buy. I get them free through a friend and I still wont wear the damn things. The most stiffly glued collars, cotton/polly mixes. thin fabrics every time.

I would buy Pink given the choice between the two, but as the poster above points out, CT would be a much more sensible quality/price ratio.

6. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

in the states you can get a custom shirt for $250. It would seem to me that you can get a high-quality custom or made-to-measure shirt for far less where you are.

7. shenxianhga

shenxianhga New Member

Thank you very much for all of your kindly suggestion... Seems to me a good MTM shirt will be the better choice...Any good online MTM maker you can recommand since I don't know any MTM shirt maker where I am living now...

8. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I'll agree with CT. Harvie and Hudson is another good option. Pink shirt prices are absurd.

9. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I was considering getting a Pink shirt just because I wanted some new patterns. The salesperson mentioned that they didn't even offer different sleeve lengths for one neck size. I found this completely ridiculous and left, especially at 180 per shirt.

10. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Where do you live currently? I've had a fair amount of success with MyTailor, which travels to a number of different cities. Shirts will probably run you about $100 each, maybe a bit more if you want a nicer cotton. WWChan and other Hong Kong based tailoring firms travel and will make custom shirts, but I can't attest to their quality.

If you can, work with a travelling tailor or some professional who can measure you. With online MTM, you're entering your measurements and hoping for the best but I hear a number of disaster stories about this not working out so well. If you do the strictly online route, make sure to only order one shirt at a time. Take pictures and perhaps suggest changes to the fit when you place your subsequent orders to maximize the chance of them getting it right. You can buy shirts online from MyTailor. There are other places that do online MTM, e.g. ModernTailor, but I can't vouch for their quality. There are some decent threads out there about the online MTM experience in general and with some of these firms.