• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Subway Franchisees Here?

RjSF7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
How much do you enjoy the lifestyle?
eh.gif

My previous deskjob (Tech Job) had similar hours, so I guess I'm used to it, my social life revolves around my work more now tho
frown.gif

I can actually still go to the gym every night after we close (10p).

So its not too bad.

Boston Tweed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RjSF7
I own a Cold Stone Franchise. I seriously work there about 77 hours a week, not including Saturdays and Fridays.

While these hours suck, if his Cold Stone is like most ice cream shoppes, I'm guessing he enjoys some other perks like working with college age women which might make up some of the difference...

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
...he really thought operating a franchise was not the best way to secure a steady income stream. A revenue stream, sure, but not an income stream.
laugh.gif

Yes that's a very important distinction. Simply a good revenue stream only makes your masters (lenders, franchise company) richer while giving you the illusion tjat your are making money. You make paper money and they make real money.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Boston Tweed
While these hours suck, if his Cold Stone is like most ice cream shoppes, I'm guessing he enjoys some other perks like working with college age women which might make up some of the difference...

I seriously doubt it. There comes a point when the amount of time and energy isn't worth it regardless of what types of girls you have access to.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have thought about starting a five guys in my area, as well as a planet fitness. I haven't done either, but I am positive both would be successful.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was looking into opening a franchise not too long ago, specifically Subway since the powerhouse franchises were wayyy too expensive for me. Not only that but the agent who contacted me from Subway seemed way too pushy.

Basically what ends up happening is you end up opening your own business, and instead of working for yourself you're actually working for the parent. Yea, you can generate a lot of revenue with brand recognition, but with the razor thin margins you're not going to be able to afford someone who can actually run your business, leaving you slaving away running "your" business making someone else rich.

Actually, not too long ago a subway opened up in my town in the same strip as a deli that has been there for 15+ years, and a pizzeria. Needless to say the franchise didnt last very long. That just goes to show how much the franchisor really cares about the franchisee.

Being successful in your eyes, and successful in the franchisor's eyes are two very different things.

Now if only Chipotle franchised...

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know someone who owns 2 Subway franchise's and I can't say that they are well-off as a result. They are practically open 365 days a year 7 days a week ( I believe Subway only allows for 2 days off throughout the CY) And as someone said, it's a **** load of work, the amount of success is a direct result of the location and the revenue gains (where applicable) may be minimal compared to capital and operating costs.

I am curious about 5 guys though, if they offer franchise opportunities.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hboogz
I know someone who owns 2 Subway franchise's and I can't say that they are well-off as a result. They are practically open 365 days a year 7 days a week ( I believe Subway only allows for 2 days off throughout the CY) And as someone said, it's a **** load of work, the amount of success is a direct result of the location and the revenue gains (where applicable) may be minimal compared to capital and operating costs.

I am curious about 5 guys though, if they offer franchise opportunities.

They do and when they first started they were really cheap. Not sure how much they are now though.

tphd

Reaction score
Not to hijack but I'd like to own a non franchise donut shop or dry cleaner eventually.
I have a cambodian friend whose family is in the donut biz. Works 4-5am to noonish, takes a nap, and goes fishing pretty much whenever he wants. Does pretty well financially and in general is a pretty cheery guy. He told me that he'd take me under his wing whenever I was ready. I have no question that it will be hard thankless work but I'm no stranger to startup hours. I just don't want to be staring at a computer screen into my 40s and 50s.
long live the american dream

RjSF7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Boston Tweed
Haha, as nice as it is to work with college girls, I see more cuties as customers. And as the owner, I'm not sure where or how to cross the line between customer and potential date. A few women have displayed interest, but I'm not even sure how to proceed.
blush.gif

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RjSF7
Haha, as nice as it is to work with college girls, I see more cuties as customers. And as the owner, I'm not sure where or how to cross the line between customer and potential date. A few women have displayed interest, but I'm not even sure how to proceed.
blush.gif

Go commando. When they seem interested whip out your chub. You will know immediately if they are interested.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Quizno's is WAY WAY WAY worse to own than a Subway. There are so many stories of that company ******** on their franchisee's.

I always figured there were problems with Quizno's. I've seen more of their locations get seized by the IRS and shut down (in Metro Detroit and when I lived in NC) than any other franchise restaurant. Somebody is dropping the ball in a major way. Plus, every Quizno's I've ever been in is pretty disgustingly dirty; it makes me think that there is very little oversight from their corporate offices.

Back on topic of franchising...
I have looked into it for myself (not Subway, but a Michigan based coffee shop) and decided that while I like the investment opportunity, I don't really like the idea of being my own boss. I just don't have the entrepreneurial spirit. I have however discussed being more of a silent partner with a couple friends who already own two locations of the franchise I am interested in and we are currently waiting for a few particular physical locations to become available likely in the fall of 2012.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 opened last year on my city ( Spain) total ruin. No one enters even to go for free to the WC.

I got one once and got a horrible diarrea, same as everytime I go to MickeyDee

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My dad is seriously considering opening up a Papa Murphy's franchise. Seems like it would be smart. Not much to the restaurant, small store front, and low overhead when it comes to equipment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads